Broken CMOS battery housing - Can it be repaired?

shroomiin

Gawd
Long story short I have a motherboard which I had accidentally snapped the plastic cmos battery holder on. I did not rip the whole thing off the board, but the housing itself broke and will no longer hold a battery.

Can this be repaired? I was thinking I could acquire another plastic cmos battery holder- then I would remove/rip off the broken one from my board. After that I would solder it back to the board.

Would this work?

Thanks!

It can be repaired, but you need a bit of practice first before trying it on a multi-layered PCB. As an alternative, use one of those laptop CMOS battery dongles that has 2 wires. Strip the wires and solder them to the metal terminals, + to + and - to -. That's much easier.

Something like this:

br138.jpg

The benefit is that you don't have to desolder the broken holder first. You just need to tap into the 2 metal contacts that connects to the plus and minus terminals, which is much simpler and with no risks of damaging the PCB from the desolder.

What he said.

If you're new to soldering, I would practice a bit before trying to solder on the new battery.

If you aren't new to soldering, you probably know this already, but: stay away from that "lead-free" solder crap. It's significantly more difficult to work with than regular solder, and you don't need complications when performing delicate surgery such as proposed.

i'll throw some pics up tomorrow...the plastic battery housing is snapped in half diagonally. It has also come loose from me playing with it so I would prefer to rip it off then solder something back on so it's a solid fix.

Back