Broke out Quake I last night.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Well I am waiting on my PCI-Express video card to get ordered and then come in. So in order to get my system up and running I had to install a PCI video card. So all I had was a PCI S3 Trio32/64. With it's mighty 2mb of ram. I can't even do true color in 800x600. On my 21inch monitor I get icons the size of babies heads. It's pretty scary. Anyway for entertainment I broke out the only game I think I've got that I can play.

Quake I. With software rendering. I had a blast playing that. It's been YEARS since I touched this game. I had forgotten what a good game it was.

Quake I was revolutionary in it's day. The first modern FPS. It took us beyond sprite and bitmap graphics and gave us 3D polygons.

All in all it was a fun trip down memory lane. Not to mention the games as good as ever. Still a blast after all this time.

I remember the grappling hook mod, you could grapple someone than bash them after you drew them into you. Ahhh good old q1..

I think I ran that game recently, and then promptly vomitted at its software rendered graphix! j/k. I think It didnt run right so I put in quake 2 instead and played it @1280x1024, which was interesting. Still a decent lookig game at that resolution. But I had to hold down SHIFT the whole time I was playing to enable "free look" so I could aim with my mouse properly, lol.

Ahh brings a tear to my eye.
The good old days, sweet nostalgia :)

i think it is still the best fps game for skill and fun. unreal is gimicky and penalizing with many of its features. personally, i think it has still the worse netcode ever-anyone remeber netplay with the first unreal, god so horrible. hl2 dm has the feel of skill and combat again. very much like q1 and hl1 dm. it also has some really excellent and accurate netcode. not to mention a one shot one frag weapon again, just like the old school q2 rail. i get so tired of leaping, dodging, lg, shock, shock combos, shield gun, and map timing (and unskilled players holding the the fire down, specially with flak) . i want some good old fashined full power quad and a rl. rocket jumping skills and bouncing people into your next fire was/is so much fun.

dont forget m_filter when using +mlook

Netplay with Unreal did suck. Quake I had some great mods. I'm just waiting on a stock check to come in next week so I can order a 6800GT or Ultra in PCI-E. Until then, I'm stuck with this pathetic video card.

Unless someone in DFW has a PCI-E anything they'd like to loan me. :D

lmao at the damn grappling hook

that shit was great :D

Hook someone turn a corner and they were dead!! :D

great stuff.

Though i do agree. Nothing like the Quad damage with the RL or super nail gun.. ;)

quake 2- powershiled+mega+red armor+ gaitling gun+QD= over, period.

i miss quake2 so much, BEST GAME EVAR!! LMCTF WAS THE BEST MOD EVAR, VIVA LA LM!!!! if anyone here experienced the LMCTF community you know exactly what im talking about, truely amazing, made many great friends.

never played q1 execpt at a friends since my pc couldnt run it :eek:

Zoid (who created the grappling hook) is on my trivia mailing list. That one creation really set him on his path to fame and fortune in the gaming industry. Hey, you never know when a mod you create can turn out to be something big.

Don't forget it introduced the world to ...

"Mouse-look" No more FPS using the keyboad to look around. Quake 1 is one of the best games ever.

I seem to install that game every few years and play the first couple levels. Yes, it did rock back in the day.

It was Sooooo back in the day that it was mostly before the dawn of the cable modem. It actually played pretty well with a 200-300 ping.

No way!

I've been playing Q2 for the last week after finding it on a CDR I burned in 1998!

Currently in the mines I think just turned off some machines and theres a lot of water about.

Still plays great and look not tooooooo bad.

Mods for Q1 were amazing, PainKeep I think it was called with the grapling hook.

R.

Aaron_ATX said:
I seem to install that game every few years and play the first couple levels. Yes, it did rock back in the day.

It was Sooooo back in the day that it was mostly before the dawn of the cable modem. It actually played pretty well with a 200-300 ping.

Oh yea. I worked in an IT dept of an advertising agency and we had a Q1 server and played it at lunch. Good fun. But yea, I remember going from a 14.4 modem to a 56k. I thought I was flying :rolleyes:

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Oh yea. I worked in an IT dept of an advertising agency and we had a Q1 server and played it at lunch. Good fun. But yea, I remember going from a 14.4 modem to a 56k. I thought I was flying :rolleyes:

GRRR!!! So YOU were one of "those" people. Man every server had one guy with a 30 ping, slaughtering the helpless 300 pingers, well that and the people who were still trying to play with the keyboard.

Friggin hilarious the first time I saw someone slowly turn towards me, then pivot upwards, slowly, trying to get a bead on me, haha...

heh yeah i loved q1, it basically reintroducted me to pc fps's after the doom days.. one mod i used to really like was runes, it was so funny cause it altered gameplay so much you could create gravity holes that sucked everything in and drunkeness.. i also remember ctf, and the mods that had with all the funny sound packs it had... im done with the quake series though.. until q4 that is..

I miss the old MegaTF 2fort5 keep-away servers that were in Atlanta,GA :(. No mod after that was as challenging or fun as that map with that mod to me.

What I find funny is that quake1's ctf mods and varients are still 10x better and more fun than the ctf mods that come out for today's games

I played through Quake 1 and some of the mission packs recently and it was a real blast. Just simple good gameplay.

What I loved about Q1 was the ability to go through the whole game in deathmatch mode. Get tired of a level? Just jump in the exit and presto! Everyone goes to the next map.

Also, the head hunter mod was alot of fun. Nothing like collecting the decapitated heads of people you kill and taking them to the alter. Not to mention, following a blood trail to track down someone and steal their head, and the heads they were carying.

There was a Quake 1 mod that I loved, that I NEVER saw anwhere else. It was this thing called the nailbomb mod, where the grenades threw out real shrapnel that would ricochet off surfaces... you'd throw one of those in a crowded little room and it would just shred EVERYTHING. :D

Such a simple idea, and kinda realistic (since real frag grenades kill mainly with shrapnel, not blast effect), but you never saw it anywhere else... not in mods, not in games, nothing. And it didn't even kill frame rates or anything. It was just cool. I miss nailbombs. :(

On a related note, Quake 1 was just SO easy to mod for. Even I could do it, and I can't code squat. And it had the best mods... laser dot projection sights, grappling hooks, guided missiles... just great cool little stuff that for for some reason didn't ever get done again half the time. Wierd.

Quake 1 itself was shit, and its boxy monsters didn't look as good as Doom's sprite-based enemies. Quake 2 was so far beyond the first game it isn't funny.

The boxy monsters just added to it if you ask me. It has a very dark and distinct look to it. Nothing much looks like a Quake game. The mix of medieval and spaceage architecture and technology.

For the guy complaining about the ugly software rendering, get the GL Quake patch, or if you've got some nice hardware get this: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/

I miss L-Fire CTF mod for Quake2 and a rail map called, Bletney's Blues.

There is no greater satisfaction than knocking people out of the sky in mid grapple with my railgun. :D

Haven't had that much fun since Q2 faded. not even CS.

Drexion said:
Ahh brings a tear to my eye.
The good old days, sweet nostalgia :)

Can I get an Amen?

I could sob like a schoolgirl thinking of the good times I had playing Q2. People say MMO's suck you in? I played Q2 and forgot about the outside world.

best deathmatch EVER even to this day is quakeworld DM

best team based multiplayer FPS ever is quakeworld teamfortress

well6 + voodoo rush + see through water = fun being a sniper :)

i honestly wish i could play it today like i did in 98 ... it was so much friggin fun.

most of the people who think quake sucks (no, i will not call it quake1, its name is "quake"), arn't old enough to have played it back in the day.

For me anyways it first introduced the concept of a lanparty, It was usually like 8 of us guys playing quake1 on our 10-base-2 "thinnet" network. For those of you wou have networked with this know the pains, we would spend hours figuring out which cable or terminator was bad. Then when someone would leave and take their cable the whole network would go down. I remember at my first one I was one of those noobs still playing with the keyboard, until someone showed me the mlook "secret."

anasazi said:
(no, i will not call it quake1, its name is "quake"), arn't old enough to have played it back in the day.
heh, well I did play it back in the day, but I usually refer to it as quake1 because when you say quake at a lan people usually assume it means quake3 because alot the younger crowd haven't played anything else.

Rig[H]tful_Own3r said:
heh, well I did play it back in the day, but I usually refer to it as quake1 because when you say quake at a lan people usually assume it means quake3 because alot the younger crowd haven't played anything else.

yes, this is one huge reason why i don't play online games much anymore... the "younger" crowd doesn't appriciate what us old folks (old being relative, 21 ain't too old) played "back in the day" :)

its rare to find people who have an ICQ number that is 6 digits long ... let alone anyone who even knows wtf ICQ is anymore.

I just recently installed it and a few other things with it ;)
Quake - Full and latest version
Quake Mission Pack: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack: Dissolution of Eternity
GLQuake
GLQuake World v2.30
Threewave CTF
All-Star CTF
Thunder Walker CTF
Xeno Map Pack
LOC Map Pack
All maps are vised!!!
(Jeez, what a pain, solved that though by making a nice rar package for a quick install,,hehe)
I've had the most fun with this game online and single player, nothing has come close yet to the expierience that I've had with it :)

Maybe Q4 will bring back some of the good'ole memories/feelings *fingers crossed*

Quake 2 brings back a lot of memories... since I still play it =/

I dunno, there have been numerous texture replacements and the community is still kindof alive.... everyone knows each other pretty well, and we still have a fun time playing.

Of course, I'm speaking about the Action Quake 2 community. I guess you either like AQ2, or you don't. And I've been playing it a while. I still love it.

I guess the team that made AQ2 (the A*Team) made a mod for ut2004 called AUT. I tried it out, but it was pure junk. :(

Oh well... nostalgic games are still the best.
Here are some screenshots that I have taken just in a game that I played a few minutes ago for you to all get a taste.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 7
Pic 8

I could make it prettier with some anti-aliasing, etc., but I like it just the way it is :D

and yes, this is on a 6800gt :(

I Agree! Quake 2 was the best game Master Clan woohoo the good ole days...

derrickperry said:
quake 2- powershiled+mega+red armor+ gaitling gun+QD= over, period.

i miss quake2 so much, BEST GAME EVAR!! LMCTF WAS THE BEST MOD EVAR, VIVA LA LM!!!! if anyone here experienced the LMCTF community you know exactly what im talking about, truely amazing, made many great friends.

never played q1 execpt at a friends since my pc couldnt run it :eek:

Quake1 and Quake2 were awesome for back in the day (I also remember playing Descent1 and Descent2 which were very good games that have no similar modern day equivalent). And I do remember the 10base2 lanparty mess from that time too. One thing I've often missed from Quake1 and Quake2 was the music soundtracks that were on the game cd's. As I recall ID actually had White Zombie and NIN do the soundtracks, and from what I remember the music was very good. But I can't really find it anywhere online (P2P networks) anymore which is a shame cause I'd like to have the music again.

I have to agree on the Quake 2 front... best game ever. Me and my friend were in high school at the time, so plenty of time to play it. I think one summer I used to play like 2-3 hours a day. Just good old deathmatch!

CVNet1 said:
One thing I've often missed from Quake1 and Quake2 was the music soundtracks that were on the game cd's. As I recall ID actually had White Zombie and NIN do the soundtracks, and from what I remember the music was very good. But I can't really find it anywhere online (P2P networks) anymore which is a shame cause I'd like to have the music again.
I don't have it installed right now so I can't say exactly which file, but...install the games then open up the biggest game file (would be like pak0.pk3 in the baseq3 folder of Q3) using winrar and you can extract the music files :) I would share mine from Quake and Quake 2 with the community, but I don't have nearly enough bandwidth to handle all the hits I would receive.

My god...

Quake 2 was all about 3 mods (with a few smallers) 1) Lithium - Rune/offhand grapple 2) LMctf - Loki Minions CTF 3) Action quake 2

Action Quake 2 (aq2) is the basis of the poor exscuse for a game called counter strike *poke poke*

It featured realistic weapons, damage hit zones, bandaging, limping, and brought fame to strife jumping. It was the most inavative mod ever. It also head the largest mapping/ladder community. It was (and is) the mod to play

Quake 2 demo is still free to download. If you download the action quake mod and a few maps. along with all seeing eye you can still hop on a action quake 2 server today (yes yes... i still play action quake 2 :) )

I played the hell outa Q2, but mostly teh Weapons Factory mod. Occasionally a little LithiumDM, LMCTF. But only when my clan members weren't about.

And I played it with Shotgun Dual 56k, sub 50 ping baby, muaahaha.

Infact I think we only had one clan member on *slow* 33.6, hehe, we were teh LPBs of Heat, until cablemodems hit, then we still laughed at them. 4x as much cash for a 35 ping at best.

And now I'm stuck on DOCSIS 2.0 cable waiting for syncronous cable lines, lowering of the retarded fees, and most of all WHERE IS MY QUAKE 4!

Ahh the days of Quake. I got the CD that had all the id games on it... since at the time CD burners were over a $1000 I didnt burn the 80meg file to a CD... I need to find the crack for that CD.

Anyway, anyone remember Dank&Skud or how about the RangerGoneBad series? I have been trying to find out what happend in RGB3... I heard the clan broke up and thats why RGB3 was never released. What was the name of that uber awesome bot for quake? At the time it had the best AI of any bot at the time... How about the rivelry between DukeNukem3d fansboys and Quake !!!!!!s? How about thinking 320-240 was a good resolution so play at? How about 640-480 being an unheard of resolution to play a game at?

Also, most people that I know that only started playing computer games with in the past 4-5 years think quake sucks so it isnt really an age thing as much of an experiance thing. If they had been playing computer games since the late 80's early 90's then they would have an affection for the game that IMO changed FPS like never before. Hell man... Gamespy came out because of Quake. The way FPS games are played online is because of Quake.... groundbraking is what it is.

Anyone ever play Quake Slide? It was a sort of snowboarding mod. I played it more than any other mod at LANs back in the day, and it was a blast. I don't think it ever got too popular, but I still play it every so often. Here's a crappy screenshot:

http://home.comcast.net/~kupe/slide.JPG

Back