Broadwell E to work on X99...Xeons?

Not entirely correct. Not all E5-16xx v3 CPUs are unlocked. You're going to have to keep hoping because anything above the E5-1680 v3 doesn't exist.

That is what I meant to say. The 5820k, 5930k, 5960x Xeon equivalents are unlocked.

That is what I meant to say. The 5820k, 5930k, 5960x Xeon equivalents are unlocked.
Yep, don't buy a E5-1620 v3 if you want to overclock. At least I have can use 32GB ECC DIMMs on my desktop though with mine...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#Xeon_E5-16xx_v3_.28uniprocessor.29

10 core in stock
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-9ghz-lga2011-10-core-server-cpu-tray.html

12 core in stock
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-6ghz-lga2011-12-core-server-cpu-tray.html

14 core out of stock but i am sure they can get it
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-5ghz-lga2011-14-core-server-cpu-tray.html

wirk and someone else have the IB 10 core IIRC

If Broadwell 16xx comes out i'll try to buy the highest core count to take one for the team...depends if someone buys my 1650v3....if someone would chip in to help soften the 2200 blow to my wallet i'll get the broadwell for sure and test it.

These chips have not been, nor will they ever be released to the channel. Period. That site has claimed to have them in stock for over a year now and is complete and their claim is complete and utter BS. They are produced for one client and one client only. It takes very little deduction to determine who that client is and I'll not say here.

The best unlocked Xeon available is the E5-1680 V3. That is also indisputable.

How much time pass between the launch and the availability in shops usually?

I bought Haswell-E as soon as it was available on november 2014 but do you remember when Haswell-E was launched?

Haswell-E was launched at the end of August 2014, about a week and a half before Haswell-EP.

My E5-1650v3 apparently has had success overclocking, but I never got it to work. I more wanted a six-core w/ registered DDR4 ECC as I combined my storage box (formerly ZFS) with my gaming box. I haven't found much of a need to overclock as it is.

Yep, don't buy a E5-1620 v3 if you want to overclock. At least I have can use 32GB ECC DIMMs on my desktop though with mine...

The 1620 v3 is locked?

You can get either a Xeon E5-1620 V2, E5-1650 V2 or E5-1660 V2. The non-V2s are also an option if you can find them. All are fully unlocked. The E5-1620 V2 is fairly cheap as well, and IMHO would be a much better choice than a Xeon E3, by virtue of the much improved memory performance and far better I/O abilities.

According to lutjens the v2 was unlocked. So the quad core is locked? BTW I didn't even notice those quad cores lol.

My E5-1650v3 apparently has had success overclocking, but I never got it to work. I more wanted a six-core w/ registered DDR4 ECC as I combined my storage box (formerly ZFS) with my gaming box. I haven't found much of a need to overclock as it is.

I have my 1650v3 at 4.5 Ghz but i can't get cache to overclock more then 200MHz. I am fairly new to haswell overclocking so I don't know if i am missing something in settings. I heeard the 6-8 cores can be a hit or miss with cache OCing.

I also have 4 16GB ECC RDDIMMS in it

These chips have not been, nor will they ever be released to the channel. Period. That site has claimed to have them in stock for over a year now and is complete and their claim is complete and utter BS. They are produced for one client and one client only. It takes very little deduction to determine who that client is and I'll not say here.

The best unlocked Xeon available is the E5-1680 V3. That is also indisputable.

Haswell-E was launched at the end of August 2014, about a week and a half before Haswell-EP.

fair enough. Have you tried to acquire one?

Good to know, that is another data point then :). There was one person on reddit and another on overclock.net that had success and posted about it when I checked several months ago.

fair enough. Have you tried to acquire one?

I went to the ends of the Earth (metaphorically speaking) to try and get one. Intel never meant for knowledge of them to become public, but they screwed up and accidentally listed them in the first revision of their Xeon Specification Update document. The next month, all reference to them was quickly removed.

I went to the ends of the Earth (metaphorically speaking) to try and get one. Intel never meant for knowledge of them to become public, but they screwed up and accidentally listed them in the first revision of their Xeon Specification Update document. The next month, all reference to them was quickly removed.

so you contacted that company? What did they say? BTW I googled for the last 20 mins and can't find any reference to what OEM that is that has them.
Yes. At least mine is.

well that sucks...sorry. Blame lutjens :p

so you contacted that company? What did they say? BTW I googled for the last 20 mins and can't find any reference to what OEM that is that has them.

SabrePC doesn't know what's going on regarding those chips...they're assuming that they're like any other chip. As I mentioned, they're specialty SKUs and are not available to the channel.

well that sucks...sorry. Blame lutjens :p

Blame me for what? I never stated that the E5-1620 V3 was unlocked.

SabrePC doesn't know what's going on regarding those chips...they're assuming that they're like any other chip. As I mentioned, they're specialty SKUs and are not available to the channel.

Blame me for what? I never stated that the E5-1620 V3 was unlocked.

See post 45. The V2s according to you were unlocked so one could hope it would carry over.
Also I was giving you shit. I wasn't being serious hence the emoticon.

They say they are in stock though that's why I was asking. It doesn't say preorder but in stock and ready to order. Only the 12/14 core is pre order. The 12 is in stock according to them though.

EDIT: BTW we should make a list on hard forum of all know unlocked xeons that have been tested. this topic comes up far too often.

Last edited:
See post 45. The V2s according to you were unlocked so one could hope it would carry over.
Also I was giving you shit. I wasn't being serious hence the emoticon.

They say they are in stock though that's why I was asking. It doesn't say preorder but in stock and ready to order. Only the 12/14 core is pre order. The 12 is in stock according to them though.

Yeah V2...not V3. Xeons seem to reflect HEDT equivalent chips...since there was no unlocked i7 quad core, hence the Xeon quad core is locked. As for the E5-1680V3, I'm guessing that Intel may have originally planned to release an i7 equivalent, but never got around to it.

And again, SabrePC is full of it...;)

Yeah V2...not V3. Xeons seem to reflect HEDT equivalent chips...since there was no unlocked i7 quad core, hence the Xeon quad core is locked. As for the E5-1680V3, I'm guessing that Intel may have originally planned to release an i7 equivalent, but never got around to it.

And again, SabrePC is full of it...;)

so you tried and purchased it and never got the product?

so you tried and purchased it and never got the product?

I know for an absolute fact that the chips are OEM only and only for one client. Which makes it a patent impossibility that SabrePC has any or can ever get any...;)

I know for an absolute fact that the chips are OEM only and only for one client. Which makes it a patent impossibility that SabrePC has any or can ever get any...;)

so you never bothered to get one from them to see what happens. Gotcha so you dont know for certain.

so you never bothered to get one from them to see what happens. Gotcha so you dont know for certain.

Try to get one and see what happens....;) Trust me, what I've said is entirely true and it's a fact that you can take to the bank.

and a company employee has never been wrong. Gotcha so you don't know because you never tried. So much for the ends of the earth statement.

Go ahead and try...see what happens...;)

"Gotcha"? LMAO...if you only knew the effort that I've put forth and the people I've spoken to trying to get these chips released to the channel....;)

Last edited:
No idea why you won't accept that you just cannot get them. Check back in a few years time on eBay. It's just like the Xeon L5639s that Facebook had. Intel frequently does custom SKUs for large customers. Any one of those CPUs available for sale at this point would be stolen.

Go ahead and try...see what happens...;)

"Gotcha"? LMAO...if you only knew the effort that I've put forth and the people I've spoken to trying to get these chips released to the channel....;)

if i didn't already own a 1650v3 I would consider trying but i dont have the money to just chance it since i already have a xeon. When/if the broadwells come out i'll give it a shot since my current board "should" work. I did send emails out to them to see if i could get info from them. Maybe something happens maybe not. An email took 5 seconds so no biggy.

No idea why you won't accept that you just cannot get them. Check back in a few years time on eBay. It's just like the Xeon L5639s that Facebook had. Intel frequently does custom SKUs for large customers. Any one of those CPUs available for sale at this point would be stolen.

i just dont except a "I did everything but not everything answers". I would be ignorant if i did...actually willfully ignorant and that would be worse. And things don't change? Maybe things changed from the last time you checked...jesus if we all had the attitude and mentality of well things will never change we would be in trouble. (sorry can't really form that well.)

Last edited:

He seems to think that I'm lying for some reason and wants ironclad proof. The fact that none of these chips exist in the wild and that the listing for those processors has been up for a year isn't good enough proof that they can't deliver them. I did initially place an order through SabrePC last year for an E5-1691 V3, but once I found out the truth, I cancelled it, as it's a complete exercise in futility.

And no, I won't say how I know, nor will I mention the client for which Intel makes the chips...just know that what I've said is very, very true...;)

He seems to think that I'm lying for some reason and wants ironclad proof. The fact that none of these chips exist in the wild and that the listing for those processors has been up for a year isn't good enough proof that they can't deliver them.

And no, I won't say how I know...just know that what I've said is very, very true...;)

no its just the fact you said "I tried everything" but you actually didn't. If you told me you submitted an order and they canceled it I would believe you but you never bothered. Simple little over sights like that can happen. If you said ____ submitted an order and didn't get one or got the wrong product and never got the legit item I would believe you that the place is a shame but you haven't.

I have heard no one actually trying to submit an order to get one. Show me an example of someone trying to buy it and failing and I will agree that for certain that place's website it wrong.

Why would I except an answer of because i said so with no proof? If I did that the first time I asked about unlocked xeons I would have been ignorant and thought that all xeons are still locked.

I never knew my Xeon L5639 purchased from ebay a couple years back was stolen until right now. :eek: I learn something new everyday.

no its just the fact you said "I tried everything" but you actually didn't. If you told me you submitted an order and they canceled it I would believe you but you never bothered. Simple little over sights like that can happen. If you said ____ submitted an order and didn't get one or got the wrong product and never got the legit item I would believe you that the place is a shame but you haven't.

I have heard no one actually trying to submit an order to get one. Show me an example of someone trying to buy it and failing and I will agree that for certain that place's website it wrong.

Why would I except an answer of because i said so with no proof? If I did that the first time I asked about unlocked xeons I would have been ignorant and thought that all xeons are still locked.

I have tried everything and know the truth regarding these chips. I've shared that truth with you. Believe it or not, your choice...I don't care...;)

I never knew my Xeon L5639 purchased from ebay a couple years back was stolen until right now. :eek: I learn something new everyday.
Those weren't stolen. Facebook decommissioned their hardware and it went to recyclers/liquidators. I was referencing the E5 Xeons that we've been discussing with that statement. They too someday will presumably get decommissioned and wind up on eBay or the likes (legitimately), but not anytime soon.

Not necessarily. They could have been given to an employee and they then sold it. That is the same case with ES chips. They are not always stolen. It is like my development kits from CSR when the first dual mic BT head sets were being made. It was not stolen it was given to me by my dad who worked for CSR. My dad and the company gave some of those out to certain people while they were still in proto type phase.

Heres a photo of one of the first dual mic headsets :D...or nevermind. I think I threw it out when I was cleaning a few months back. The batteries were dead and it was old lol

And no, I won't say how I know, nor will I mention the client for which Intel makes the chips...just know that what I've said is very, very true...;)

Hmm, very large company with lots of servers and a specific cpu requirement. So Google, Amazon, Facebook or Ebay are my first thoughts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#Xeon_E5-16xx_v3_.28uniprocessor.29

10 core in stock
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-9ghz-lga2011-10-core-server-cpu-tray.html

12 core in stock
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-6ghz-lga2011-12-core-server-cpu-tray.html

14 core out of stock but i am sure they can get it
https://www.sabrepc.com/intel-cm806...3-2-5ghz-lga2011-14-core-server-cpu-tray.html

wirk and someone else have the IB 10 core IIRC

If Broadwell 16xx comes out i'll try to buy the highest core count to take one for the team...depends if someone buys my 1650v3....if someone would chip in to help soften the 2200 blow to my wallet i'll get the broadwell for sure and test it.

It's nice to be the subject of urban legends but I do not have the 10-core Xeon :(. Just having the 8-core Xeon E5-1680 v3 which of course is unlocked and I am running it at 4.3 GHz. Single socket Xeons with higher number of cores do exist in specs. According to rumors they are made on orderfor certain big customers, think Internet infrastructure companies which make own servers for their data centers. In consequence these Xeons will never show in public (unless somebody steals a truck with them and they will start circulating in deep underground :D)

Intel is, or soon will be, offering customized Xeons with FPGA on-chip. For specific operations implemented in FPGA the speedup can be up to 10x. It would be awesome if such Xeons/FPGA would be generally available but at this point it is fantasy.

Anyway, I will not give any thought about upgrading my system until Intel new SSDRAM modules will come with processors supporting them. This will be colossal jump in computer architecture

It's nice to be the subject of urban legends but I do not have the 10-core Xeon :(. Just having the 8-core Xeon E5-1680 v3 which of course is unlocked and I am running it at 4.3 GHz. Single socket Xeons with higher number of cores do exist in specs. According to rumors they are made on orderfor certain big customers, think Internet infrastructure companies which make own servers for their data centers. In consequence these Xeons will never show in public (unless somebody steals a truck with them and they will start circulating in deep underground :D)

Intel is, or soon will be, offering customized Xeons with FPGA on-chip. For specific operations implemented in FPGA the speedup can be up to 10x. It would be awesome if such Xeons/FPGA would be generally available but at this point it is fantasy.

Anyway, I will not give any thought about upgrading my system until Intel new SSDRAM modules will come with processors supporting them. This will be colossal jump in computer architecture

Yes I got confused. It was the 8 core IB. The 8 core was part of the larger MCC CPUs. I remember it was 2 more cores then normal. I was thinking IB E was 8 cores not 6 but obviously looking back I was wrong :D

Yea I feel you with the XPoint DIMMS. I would love to get my hands on one.

Yea I feel you with the XPoint DIMMS. I would love to get my hands on one.

The SSD RAM DIMMs will be the real jump, much more significant than adding a couple of cores more. There is also an issue with the current generation of processors that 8 cores is optimal if one includes overclocking. More than 8 cores will often be slower due to the thermal limits.

not sure i believe a broadwell-e makes sense given that broadwell parts were low power only.

seems more likely they'd jump straight to skywell-e...

Skylake-e seems like it would make the most sense if your on a 4930k right?

Skylake-e seems like it would make the most sense if your on a 4930k right?

Skylake E makes sense even for Haswell E people. Just like i'll be getting a 6700K to replace my 4770K

Broadwell E makes sense for people who have thermal limits. I.E. Data Center Servers or servers that have limited cooling or run full load 24/7.

Skylake E makes sense even for Haswell E people. Just like i'll be getting a 6700K to replace my 4770K

Broadwell E makes sense for people who have thermal limits. I.E. Data Center Servers or servers that have limited cooling or run full load 24/7.

why skylake-e will have sense also for haswell-e people?

My 14 core should be relevant for at least a few years...

right?

Sudden self conciousness.

But hey, wont Broadwell-EP have, like, 24 core Xeons? maybe an upgrade is on the horizon...

My 14 core should be relevant for at least a few years...

right?

Sudden self conciousness.

But hey, wont Broadwell-EP have, like, 24 core Xeons? maybe an upgrade is on the horizon...

Broadwell-EP will have 22 cores. The HCC die has a total of 24 cores, two of which will be shut off for the EP parts. Only the EX parts will get the full chip.

Broadwell-EP will have 22 cores. The HCC die has a total of 24 cores, two of which will be shut off for the EP parts. Only the EX parts will get the full chip.

So the EX will be the E7 V4 parts, correct? I know E7 will fit in socket 2011, but MOST X99 mainboards will not run them...

Back