Broadwell-E Release on may 31st according to Microcenter

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
Guys I went in to try to Grab 2 GTX 1080s ( which failed miserably this morning ) but the Manager said I can cheer you up then he said that on May 31st they will be selling Broadwell-E CPUs. I tried to get a screenshot of the moniter screen but that was a no go.

That is some bad ass new tech! I hope they hold up better than the skylakes, cause it seems like many people end up rmaing fairly new cpus.....Be nice when [H] test these for overclocking

That is some bad ass new tech! I hope they hold up better than the skylakes, cause it seems like many people end up rmaing fairly new cpus.....Be nice when [H] test these for overclocking

that's happen when people does not take advice and keep using P95 =).. I just never tire to tell everyone "does not use Prime 95 with anything newer than ivy bridge" "oh common that's BS" couple of months later CPU broken.. =).

Sadly, they'll be more expensive than the CPU's they're replacing. :(

311uddk.jpg

Reactions: xlcr
like this
Sadly, they'll be more expensive than the CPU's they're replacing.

With that pricing I would be tempted to purchase the $2500 22 core / 44 threaded
"Intel Xeon E5 2696 V4 OEM" that is currenty available on eBay (not sure why the price was so low compared to the $4000+ Intel charges). Although I am at minimum waiting for the Zen server platform to replace my i7 970 and that will not arrive till next year.

Intel Xeon E5 2696 V4 OEM 2.2Ghz 55MB L3 22 Core Max 3.7Ghz 150W Broadwell-E

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Same happened with the mainstream broadwell chips.. they were and are still much more expensive skylake chips, that's why broadwell wasn't discontinued or replaced at all. The huge L4 eDRAM it's expensive. Also at similar clocks broadwell tend to perform even better to skylake, mostly due the help of edram but that isn't likely not present in broadwell-E so let see how it will perform..

I certainly have some 3930K machines asking for some upgrade soon, so I have to follow broadwell very close.. specially with overclocking involved.

No e-dram in Broadwell-E so expect 5% IPC increase over Haswell-E at most and from what I saw on overclocking.net overclocking was not so great too.

Sadly, they'll be more expensive than the CPU's they're replacing. :(

Yeah like hell if I'm bending over and grabbing my ankles for Intel. If I need threads I'll get a pair of those Sandy Bridge Xeons off eBay for like $75 a piece.

I wish The Kid From Brooklyn was still alive so he could rip Intel like he did Starbucks.

Still not worth it for me to change from my 3930K sigh .... 5 years later and the 3930K Sandy Bridge is still topping benchmark charts hahah

Shouldn't it perform just like the LGA2011 v4 Xeons?

Benches are leaking and its not impressing me at all. But this is coming from an already having a 3930K for 5 years now and its rock solid and nothing slowing it down.

Well I will be getting one to put in my ATX rig, probably the 6850k. I honestly do not need more than 6 Cores at 4GHZ.

Well I will be getting one to put in my ATX rig, probably the 6850k. I honestly do not need more than 6 Cores at 4GHZ.
Curious as to why anyone would spend the extra coin for the 6850k over the 6800k? Its only a clock jump that could be easily achield with a small overclock (which most of us do anyways by default). Almost $200 extra for something that could be had for free????

I guess if you need the PCI lanes but based on your current build, I do not see you needing it.

NeweggBusiness had these listed as in stock two days ago, and now the listings are gone. I kinda wish I would have ordered a 6800K when I had the chance.

When the [H]arder people buy these new chips may I be blessed with there 5930K's for a new gaming PC with dual gtx 1080's

I am too, 2 1080s in sli and 240 gig m.2 bit drive. Full band with to those cards is mostly crucial at high resolutions.

If 5930k dont go down on price by the time these CPU hit the market, I might as well just go with 6850k depending on how good they overclock.

HardOPC used the 6950x in their MB review here:
Introduction - MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon Broadwell-E Motherboard

It apparently runs 4.3ghz in that OC.

These guys also got a stable 4.3 in an Asus Mobo:
Intel Core i7-6950X 10-core Broadwell-E Review | The Hardware and Quick Overclocking

(FYI I'm "only' at 4.2 on my 5960x under custom water but I didnt play around much with voltages etc. Hit 4.2 and was rock solid in games and benchs but at 4.4, I would often get hung boots etc)

I called my local Microcenter, they didn't seem to have the 6950x in stock, but they definitely have the 6800k. Also called my local Fry's, they didn't have it either, but had the 6800k. Both tried telling me the 6950x been released yet, and I did notice that prebuilt machine with the 6950x on Fry's website mentioned June 13, it's possible it will be available for purchase that day. Haven't really seen availability anywhere else. Regardless, I ordered from Newegg where it's currently backordered. Let's see when it ships.

I called my local Microcenter, they didn't seem to have the 6950x in stock, but they definitely have the 6800k. Also called my local Fry's, they didn't have it either, but had the 6800k. Both tried telling me the 6950x been released yet, and I did notice that prebuilt machine with the 6950x on Fry's website mentioned June 13, it's possible it will be available for purchase that day. Haven't really seen availability anywhere else. Regardless, I ordered from Newegg where it's currently backordered. Let's see when it ships.
You guys are serious business buying new 1,749.99 cpu's...I might think about it in 5 years on ebay:)

Not really impressed with the performance of a 6800k, think I will just go for a 6700k and call it a day.

I'm on a Taipei layover tomorrow (airline pilot checking in)

Will wander down to the big computer mall and see if I can snag a 6950X

Probably depends on your local store. Mine said it had 4 in stock at $1599.99 when I was looking this afternoon. Their site seems to be down now.

Back