Broadwell CPUs will be soldered to mobos?

WTF?!

AMD is rumored to be killing off the desktop processors aside from their APU's and now Intel wont be selling processors separate from motherboards?

The article says "mainstream" processors so surely they'll keep offering the high end procs to the enthusiast crowd. But reading that it looks like they consider chips like the 3570K to be mainstream. If that's the case, you'll be stuck spending $350+ if you want to choose your own motherboard.

I wonder how much of this is because AMD is no longer competitive with Intel. If this is true this answers the question we had of what will happen when Intel is the only game in town.

Last edited:
One less head-ache building low performance machines, but if this actually ends up happening even for enthusiast/performance hardware; I told you so.

Hopefully this isn't true. Motherboard RMAs will be a huge PITA.

April Fools...........in November? Stupidest idea ever. So if your CPU or MOBO takes a dump you now have to slap down $500 for a new CPU+MOBO combo? As if Intel changing sockets every damn release wasn't enough....seriously.

I wonder, if this decision won't kill smaller manufacturers. Companies like Asrock or ECS will now have to buy CPUs to solder them into boards. That will hugely increase the costs, which they either won't survive or they will have to raise prices, and that will kill idea of budget boards.

It looks like they'll still offer LGA procs so we can still do our own building but they'll be the high end like SB-E. So instead of running down to Microcenter for a $99 i5 and overclocking its nads off, you're going to have to fork over $450 or so for a SB-E equivalent. Like I said, this is what happens when AMD can't be competitive. Why wouldn't Intel do this. Who else you gonna buy processors from.

This also means they can hold motherboard manufacturers hostage cause there will still be the same number of board makers but only one CPU.

As if I needed another reason to hate Intel.

I'll believe it when it starts happening. Otherwise, happy thanksgiving everyone?

I'm wondering if maybe the source is confused and this is really an OEM thing? Intel may be offering a BGA package option to them. By eliminating the socket and retaining structure costs are reduced, and since those who purchase such systems rarely upgrade the CPU nothing is lost. Intel will still probably offer a good selection of CPUs in LGA packages and manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, etc. will still offer motherboard that accept them.

I would bet this is only for the low end.

"Mainstream" and "low end" is the same 1155/laptop CPU. Just because it has an unlocked multiplier doesn't make it any different than the rest.

I'm thinking it entails all of the consumer focused SKUs and excludes the Xeon line, because 1) it has to exclude the Xeon line. Enterprise/servers won't buy a motherboard every time they warrant an upgrade thus 2011 workstation chips won't be embedded, and 2) because it saves Intel quite a bit of money by embedding them all and not offering separate chips, 3) the embedded sockets mean slimmer products.

I'm wondering if maybe the source is confused and this is really an OEM thing? Intel may be offering a BGA package option to them. By eliminating the socket and retaining structure costs are reduced, and since those who purchase such systems rarely upgrade the CPU nothing is lost. Intel will still probably offer a good selection of CPUs in LGA packages and manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, etc. will still offer motherboard that accept them.

It would be interesting to see the sales figures, as I think they would determine what would happen. If there's not many chips being sold to the 'build-it-yourself' crowd then packaging options across the spectrum would make sense. If not many chips are sold outside of OEMs then it wouldn't justify keeping both around for a tiny market.

so in a few years, ps3/xbox360 style non upgradeable PC's with a tablet style os, fuck you very much i'll pass

I find it hard to believe this is going to happen beyond OEMs (Especially laptops) and things like the NUC. What happens if they have another recall like they did with the P67. Sounds like too much trouble.

I find it hard to believe this is going to happen beyond OEMs (Especially laptops) and things like the NUC. What happens if they have another recall like they did with the P67. Sounds like too much trouble.

That was chipset related and all future consumer line chips will be SoCs, so you'd have to send back the CPU anyway since everything is located on the processor.

so in a few years, ps3/xbox360 style non upgradeable PC's with a tablet style os, fuck you very much i'll pass

God, it does seem like thats the direction we're headed in doesnt it. :(

Im not freaking out yet cause this is just surfacing and is still 2 years off.

The one thing we can hope for is that AMD can come out with something. Steamroller has dropped off their road maps so its either been canceled outright or theyre revamping it to make it much better in IPC. If that is the case then it would likely be coming out in 2014. Now if AMD can come out with something solid in 2014 the same time Intel would be releasing Broadwell then it would force Intel to offer some comparable prices LGA processors.

I know all the signs and rumors point to AMD leaving the desktop market but for now, we can hope.

Hopefully this isn't true. Motherboard RMAs will be a huge PITA.

As opposed to now...where NewEgg kills most motherboard RMAs claiming damaged cpu socket pins? Srsly people. How many of you bought both tick and tock procs for an 1155 mothboard? Most folks just buy proc and board and live it out til the next socket comes along.

Yea it sucks slightly. But it is one less failure point, given no LGA pins to possibly bend.

I'm not thrilled about the news, but I'm not overly concerned either. I don't usually upgrade my CPU without going to a new platform anyway. I do understand not everyones upgrade trend matches my own, so I can certainly see how this would be a bummer if it ends up being true sooner rather than later.

This doesn't really surprise me as so much of the functionality that was built into motherboards has been transferred to the cpu over the last 10 years. Besides, most people (even enthusiasts) change the motherboard along with cpu upgrade.

this sucks, but as long has the HEDT remains LGA and overclocks like a monster then im happy.

Looks like my 2600k is gonna last a long long looooong time....

If this makes it across the lineup (top-tier) that hoses OC in a big way. Batch numbers? Yeah right. Weird to think about. Sockets have been around on intel chips since the P4 days.

The article says it's concerning "10W, 15W and 47W/57W" CPUs. So it sounds like i3/lower end i5/ULV type chips not i5/i7s o a load of made upness. :D

The one thing we can hope for is that AMD can come out with something.

Are our prospects really that bad? :eek:

The article says it's concerning "10W, 15W and 47W/57W" CPUs. So it sounds like i3/lower end i5/ULV type chips not i5/i7s o a load of made upness. :D

I really hope so. My gut tells me that they'll they'll have a LGA offerings in the mainstream groups but itll be like the K series now as in itll be the priciest of the bunch. Want a i5 separate from a motherboard? Itll be the most expensive i5 they have. If that's the case, I can live with that.

YES! In our world, having only 1 CPU manufacturer does not bode well for us.

Intel wants control over the motherboard market I read on Maxium PC a few months back.

Intel wants control over the motherboard market I read on Maxium PC a few months back.

Sorry man, but Maximum PC (originally BOOT) has not been credible or worth a grain of salt since the days when Andrew Sanchez was around (he unfortunately passed away).

um duh, that has been the plan for years. we are the 1%'er's of the CPU market we don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

but i agree with what some one else said, this is probably just going to be limited to the low end mid range OEM market which makes it all around easier for Intel to control their product and what the OEM's are doing with it. also means higher profits in the long run for OEM's and in turn Intel. post broadwell is probably a different story.

Looks like my 2600k is gonna last a long long looooong time....

Yeppp! Have a 3820 right now... will get the IB-E version of the 3930K down the road. I wonder if Haswell-E will ever be a thing (and if it will be compatible with X79, otherwise wait for that).

Gloomy times for the enthusiast desktop cpu market.

Broadwell will be on 14nm, so the drop in TDP corresponds with a newer and more efficient process. 57W could very well be the upper end TDP for a 3770K equivalent.

How exactly would Intel gain much from forcing every market tier entirely into the SoC house? Surely something has been (literally) lost in translation here?

If this makes it across the lineup (top-tier) that hoses OC in a big way. Batch numbers? Yeah right. Weird to think about. Sockets have been around on intel chips since the P4 days.

Umm, since the P4 days? Are you talking about laptops only?

Intel processors have been socketed since the 8086 days... possibly earlier, but that is as far as I go back.

How exactly would Intel gain much from forcing every market tier entirely into the SoC house? Surely something has been (literally) lost in translation here?

Well one thing I see would be that motherboard manufacturers would have to buy a CPU for every motherboard they make. That means buying a lot more CPU's than normal because they don't sell all the boards they make and ship. So that's a lot more CPU's sold by Intel. So every motherboard sitting on Newegg or Tiger Direct or Directron's shelves would have an Intel CPU bought and paid for sitting there until somebody buys the motherboard.

Well one thing I see would be that motherboard manufacturers would have to buy a CPU for every motherboard they make. That means buying a lot more CPU's than normal because they don't sell all the boards they make and ship. So that's a lot more CPU's sold by Intel. So every motherboard sitting on Newegg or Tiger Direct or Directron's shelves would have an Intel CPU bought and paid for sitting there until somebody buys the motherboard.

Margins wouldn't drop either, so prices would go up across the board.

How about Intel CPUs that sit on the shelves? The retailer (or etailer) has already paid intel money for them... instead of the mobo maker. It works out the same way either for intel.

Back