Brigham Young's Princess Leia Project - Beyond Holograms

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Brigham Young University today shared with us a look at their photophoretic-trap volumetric display that they refer to as the "Princess Leia Project."

Check out the video.

"This display is like a 3D printer for light. You’re actually printing an object in space with these little particles." - Daniel Smalley, BYU electrical engineering professor. BYU engineers have developed a technique for creating a full-color 3D graphic display that can float in free space and is visible from any angle. Inspired by the displays of science fiction--most notably the iconic Star Wars' Princess Leia projection - the new Optical Trap Display (OTD) technique, creates a 3D volumetric image by trapping and illuminating a particle with a laser, and then scanning the image in free space. Unlike a hologram, a volumetric image is created in free-space and is visible from any angle. BYU electrical engineering professor Daniel Smalley and co-authors publish their research ("A photophoretic-trap volumetric display") in the January 24, 2018, issue of the journal Nature.

lame so far, maybe if they can manage to trap few hundred particles they might be able to print something that make sense to the viewer and not need magnifying glass.

Hmmmm.... Volumetric Imaging using stereo lithographic principles... Interesting. Does that make it stereo lightography? I coined it here first!

It could be pretty cool but in it's current form it's not going to gain much traction. Hopefully some time and funding improve things.

dont we already have this in pyramid 3d projection?

and that thumbnail is just from long exposure photography

WITCHCRA..oh wait someone already posted :(

"Help Me Augie Ben Doggie, You're My Only Hope".....

@ "The guy from the video" - Regardless of how it is made, it is still a hologram, dingus.
From Wikipedia: Typically, a hologram is a photographic recording of a light field, rather than of an image formed by a lens, and it is used to display a fully three-dimensional image of the holographed subject, which is seen without the aid of special glasses or other intermediate optics.
I'm surprised that these guys are working with such sophisticated technology and they don't even have basic internet access.

Ah maybe they could display something useful, like the golden plates or people modeling garments ;).

Ah maybe they could display something useful, like the golden plates or people modeling garments ;).
Pathetic jab at something 15+ million people consider sacred. Promulgating the destruction of common decency I see, well played.

@ "The guy from the video" - Regardless of how it is made, it is still a hologram, dingus.

I'm surprised that these guys are working with such sophisticated technology and they don't even have basic internet access.

Hey dingus, Websters (among others, with a quick look) say otherwise. Or does Wiki define your "self truth"...

Pathetic jab at something 15+ million people consider sacred. Promulgating the destruction of common decency I see, well played.
Half my relatives are Mormon I've been to Mormon meetings. And a lot 'em enjoy jokes. BTW please show me the golden plates. Also watch the episode of South Park on this very funny...loosen up, it was not pathetic, but you're attempt to make it into some big insult is. Do know about the golden plates and Mormon garments...how is mentioning them "Promulgating the destruction of common decency?"...that's just a plain weird statement.
Edit:
And you did note it was BYU university--you do know a lot of people attending it are Mormon, right? So again lighten up.

lame so far, maybe if they can manage to trap few hundred particles they might be able to print something that make sense to the viewer and not need magnifying glass.

Well, we're all waiting with breathless anticipation for you to show us (and these rank amateurs) how it's done.

Jump to it, mate!

Hey dingus, Websters (among others, with a quick look) say otherwise. Or does Wiki define your "self truth"...
"English" doesn't appear to be your first language. Because if it was, you would be able to tell that Webster's definition is almost identical to that of Wikipedia.
"a three-dimensional image reproduced from a pattern of interference produced by a split coherent beam of radiation (such as a laser)"

Back