Brian Krzanich: Our Strategy and The Future of Intel

HardOCP News

[H] News
Last week I shared how Intel is making broad changes to accelerate our transformation by aligning every segment of our business – our people, our places and our projects – to our strategy. Our strategy itself is about transforming Intel from a PC company to a company that powers the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices. We head into that future with tremendous assets and advantages: our spirit of innovation, our technology and manufacturing leadership, and the trust of our customers. But what does that future look like? I want to outline how I see the future unfolding and how Intel will continue to lead and win as we power the next generation of technologies. There are five core beliefs that I hold to be undeniably true for the future:
  • The cloud is the most important trend shaping the future of the smart, connected world – and thus Intel’s future.
  • The many "things" that make up the PC Client business and the Internet of Things are made much more valuable by their connection to the cloud.
  • Memory and programmable solutions such as FPGAs will deliver entirely new classes of products for the data center and the Internet of Things.
  • 5G will become the key technology for access to the cloud and as we move toward an always-connected world.
  • Moore’s Law will continue to progress and Intel will continue to lead in delivering its true economic impact.

Our strategy is based on these premises, and the unique assets that only Intel brings to them. There is a clear virtuous cycle here – the cloud and data center, the Internet of Things, memory and FPGAs are all bound together by connectivity and enhanced by the economics of Moore’s Law.

Why is it that every time I hear about our lives connected to the cloud, I think of this:

ST-TNG_11001001.jpg
The Binars

Cloud and the internet of things. All your stuff on someone else's box(for a reasonable fee) connected to your refrigerator and your electric toothbrush. YAY

Yeah, gunna start selling intel stock.
IoT is basically saying they don't have a clue.
Too bad there's no real competitors.

Because the Cloud isn't already saturated by primarily Amazon and IoT devices aren't ARM and Atmel Clone and other low powered low cost device dominated.

Somebody wants a cookie for 'doing something' from the board of directors who are probably ill informed idiots who have read too many tech articles (probably clickbait online articles) and think they are experts.

I understand that Intel wants to be proactive in where the world is headed, but they're the number 1 semiconductor company, I wonder if this strategy change will affect that.

• The cloud is the most important trend shaping the future of the smart, connected world – and thus Intel’s future.
    • The many "things" that make up the PC Client business and the Internet of Things are made much more valuable by their connection to the cloud.
    • Memory and programmable solutions such as FPGAs will deliver entirely new classes of products for the data center and the Internet of Things.
    • 5G will become the key technology for access to the cloud and as we move toward an always-connected world.
    • Moore’s Law will continue to progress and Intel will continue to lead in delivering its true economic impact.
Our strategy is based on these premises, and the unique assets that only Intel brings to them. There is a clear virtuous cycle here – the cloud and data center, the Internet of Things, memory and FPGAs are all bound together by connectivity and enhanced by the economics of Moore’s Law.

I can see why intel is focusing on the cloud. The reality is that as the biggest maker of x86 chips, that's going to be their volume consumer for year on year sales. Desktops, laptops, and private data centers are all pushing out to 5 year horizons or more. So point one is sensible. Point two is, if they are smart, simply admitting that growth potential right now is not in in general purpose computing, but in the networking of "things" other than general purpose computers to back ends that do the interesting services network adds to said products. The cloud will either be product X's coprorate data center, or more likely, their virtual data center. It's not a wrong point. Point three is kind of fuzzy. I'm taking it to mean "we need to get into providing the weird kind of chips that back AI and other weird algorithms that rely on data sets that have to live in data center sized and connected storage to be useful." Which isn't wrong, but I'm not sure if they have no clue about where they are headed, or are just oversimplifying. Point 4? WTF. We are plenty connected over 4G. The barrier to total connectivity has nothing to do with the G, it has to do with what the carriers charge to get the dta moved, which is way too high for anything other than fairly thin data sets form consumer located items. Point 6? Moore's law is already only applicable with a shit ton of hand waving and obfuscation. It might apply to something other than general purpose computing as we know it, but that's a pretty BS statement without stating what sector you are going to bring it to.

Back