Brent's NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Notes

I wonder if Micron is further partnering with Nvidia for multiple reasons.

1. Nvidia isn't just powering Pc gaming now, they are supplying silicon for Microsoft (MSFT), IBM (IBM), Alphabet (GOOGL), and Amazon.com (AMZN), now designing its chips into their servers.

2. Ai driving and other deep learning is a new business opportunity which may require custom work to deliver end solutions that are viable.

2. Micron had been fundamentally sluggish financially compared with Nvidia's 30% gains from '15-'16, managing only 1/2 of that despite such massive new outlets for Nvidia's silicon.

3. Micron and Samsung are pretty much entrenched in the unchanging DRAM market that's essentially saturated at this point.

Having AIB's buy their memory from Nvidia would further establish this partnership/custom deal that seems to be established now between them. You can't buy it from Micron if Nvidia invested the money into the development of the newer leakless versions that they are using. This may also prevent AMD from having the ability to work with custom grade GDDR aside from what other vendors can make available which would only match last years 1070/1060 levels of performance memory wise.

Nvidia seems to have an excellent roadmap and unlike Intel, has become more diversified and future proof. Intel after all, missed out on mobile by half a decade or more.

Is the card really 220w? I am seeing both 220 and 250 being reported

Just got the official reviewers guide today, TDP is indicated at 250W in the reviewers guide.

I quoted 220W at first because in the stream it was being compared at 220W for some reason, and was indicated in the slides. But officially it looks like 250W is the TDP, despite previous comparisons shown.

There was certainly confusion there.

Last edited:
Just got the official reviewers guide today, TDP is indicated at 250W in the reviewers guide.

I quoted 220W at first because in the stream it was being compared at 220W for some reason, and was indicated in the slides. But officially it looks like 250W is the TDP, despite previous comparisons shown.

There was certainly confusion there.

It's probably a 220 average under load before overclocking. But who buys this card and doesn't overclock?!

Literally everybody knew that was going to be the case, though...or they SHOULD have, at least.

I had a hope that the Titan XP would still surpass the Ti....even slightly. Oh well. 2 Ti's here I come.

You won't see it till the 1080ti hits the streets 10:1. And even then prices will be elevated till supply = demand on 1080ti.

Once again early buyers will get gouged...big time.

The only way you can be gouged is buying through third parties or shady websites.
If you see it above MSRP, just wait until someone has it at MSRP. Not sure of the need to pay more just to be among the first.

The last time I saw price gouging was during the Bitcon craze.

We all want this, FACT.

Yep, ultra powerful, ultra high end monster GPU -- nothing will touch it until Nvidia's next flagship card, nothing will come close. Good times to be an ent[H]usiast.

And just in time for my new 7700k VR build.

83rF034.gif

Last edited:
I was kind of disappointed Jen didn't use "Overclocker's Dream" during the presentation when he was gushing about how much it can be overclocked.

Got the Titan XP on launch day... Thinking I could have saved 700 bucks by waiting a few months.

Uh... a few months? That would have been 7 long months of waiting. ;) Early adopters always pay to play. The 1080Ti won't be noticeably faster unless it is also overclocked... and then those with Titans can also overclock. (My Titan X runs just fine with the GPU clock boosted to 2.1Ghz - and has been running that way since the day I got it.) The Titan also has a slightly wider memory bus, a larger ROP (Raster Operations Pipeline) and an extra gig of VRAM on board. I knew the 1080Ti would arrive eventually and I welcome its arrival, but I have no regrets owning and using the Titan X for the past 7 months. The cost was well worth it to me and the arrival of the 1080Ti doesn't diminish it in any way. Just brings lots of other folks up to its level of performance at a lower cost... But that's simply the way of tech. Wait long enough and you always get faster/cheaper. :D

The only way you can be gouged is buying through third parties or shady websites.
If you see it above MSRP, just wait until someone has it at MSRP. Not sure of the need to pay more just to be among the first.

The last time I saw price gouging was during the Bitcon craze.

Do you forget what happened with the 1080/1070 launch? No 3rd party OEMs provided anything close to the promised MSRP price. Some were even more expensive than the FE. Prices did eventually come down there.

Do you forget what happened with the 1080/1070 launch? No 3rd party OEMs provided anything close to the promised MSRP price. Some were even more expensive than the FE. Prices did eventually come down there.

AIB reference cards that very few wanted were selling for $10-20 over MSRP. And AIB custom cooled cards were selling for $20-40 over MSRP.
AIB custom-cooled cards will never sell for MSRP at launch. There's always a $20-30 bump over reference.

Like I said, check back during the Bitcoin craze, that's price gouging.
I couldn't buy a 290X for almost three months because of the $200+ mark up.

I - for one - put my Titan X on eBay with a starting bid just above the 1080ti.

Normally I wouldn't consider the expected difference in performance worth the upgrade, but if someone REALLY wants a Pascal Titan X, and is willing to pay above 1080ti prices, I'm happy to sell it to them and get a free upgrade, even if its a small one.

Stranger things happen on ebay -- I'm often amazed how there will be a random buyer that overpays for stuff on ebay. Like you'll see video cards with weird anomaly pricing - say a 1070 listed for $679, and someone actually buys it for that price. Granted maybe its some dude in another country, but it happens.

Yeah, I'm not looking to trick anyone or make anyone overpay, but as of right now, the Titan X still goes for $1200 from Nvidia. There must be SOME reason for this, maybe some corner case in machine learning or compute it does exceptionally well at, that the 1080ti won't. I'm hoping to sell it to someone who cares about that corner case and thinks it is worth the money

This will be the first time I get a top end graphics card soon after release rather than waiting a year. The kids are gonna be happy with a 980ti in their box!

I haven't yet bothered to upgrade from my 7970's due to all the money I spent in buying and watercooling them, but these 1080ti's are definitely tempting.

I - for one - put my Titan X on eBay with a starting bid just above the 1080ti.

Normally I wouldn't consider the expected difference in performance worth the upgrade, but if someone REALLY wants a Pascal Titan X, and is willing to pay above 1080ti prices, I'm happy to sell it to them and get a free upgrade, even if its a small one.

Maxwelll Titan used prices held up marginally well against the 980Ti because it was still 5% faster and had double the amount of VRAM, 6GB v 12GB.
This time around, the 1080Ti has only 1GB less VRAM, same core count and is 5% faster with custom-cooling options. I can't see how the Titan XP will command a price above the 1080Ti on the used market.

Nvidia really killed the Titan brand this time around.
Don't even try even try releasing a Titan or FE for Volta Nvidia, lol.

eBay is your best shot. GLWS!

Maxwelll Titan used prices held up marginally well against the 980Ti because it was still 5% faster and had double the amount of VRAM, 6GB v 12GB.
This time around, the 1080Ti has only 1GB less VRAM, same core count and is 5% faster with custom-cooling options. I can't see how the Titan XP will command a price above the 1080Ti on the used market.

Nvidia really killed the Titan brand this time around.
Don't even try even try releasing a Titan or FE for Volta Nvidia, lol.

eBay is your best shot. GLWS!
the 1080ti was just shoe one to drop... they are letting AMD know they have the NEW TITAN waiting on vega day

Yeah, I'm not looking to trick anyone or make anyone overpay, but as of right now, the Titan X still goes for $1200 from Nvidia. There must be SOME reason for this, maybe some corner case in machine learning or compute it does exceptionally well at, that the 1080ti won't. I'm hoping to sell it to someone who cares about that corner case and thinks it is worth the money

Titan XP SLI?! Do I dare?

Uh... a few months? That would have been 7 long months of waiting. ;) Early adopters always pay to play. The 1080Ti won't be noticeably faster unless it is also overclocked... and then those with Titans can also overclock. (My Titan X runs just fine with the GPU clock boosted to 2.1Ghz - and has been running that way since the day I got it.) The Titan also has a slightly wider memory bus, a larger ROP (Raster Operations Pipeline) and an extra gig of VRAM on board. I knew the 1080Ti would arrive eventually and I welcome its arrival, but I have no regrets owning and using the Titan X for the past 7 months. The cost was well worth it to me and the arrival of the 1080Ti doesn't diminish it in any way. Just brings lots of other folks up to its level of performance at a lower cost... But that's simply the way of tech. Wait long enough and you always get faster/cheaper. :D

I know. Heh...it has been a glorious 7 months indeed. TBH, it will be a glorious 7 more months until the next Titan comes out. lol

Well, you can actually buy a Titan XP right now, 1080 Ti availability is yet to be determined. I have to figure that nVidia isn't making any more Titans and that they'll just pull the Titan XP off the shelf once the 1080 Ti becomes easily available.

Should be a nice upgrade over my 980 sli at 4k, really starting to feel the low vram now. Also i hope the new reference cooler compares more favorably to the aib coolers, i don't care about noise so much and the blower style coolers are better suited for my FT05.

I'm sayin' it all over the 'net. Can't wait for these.

Finally a single affordable card solution that should truly rock 4k/60fps or even slightly 60+fps gaming.

If the specs match up(about 35% over a 1080) then one will closely match 1080SLI. Ought to be pretty cool either way.

Reactions: DPI
like this
360 video of launch in case you are interested. Sorry for quality - still learning the camera. Also, congrats on AMD event Kyle.

To each their own. I'm done with SLI.

I'd rather take a a slight 5% performance upgrade by switching from one single GPU to another, than ever touching SLI (or Crossfire) again.

I had a few problems with SLI on the 780s. It's great when it works...but there's always that one game you love that only uses one. That's when the price of the second card is completely wasted.

I had a few problems with SLI on the 780s. It's great when it works...but there's always that one game you love that only uses one. That's when the price of the second card is completely wasted.

I've done almost a 4 SLI setups in the last 10 years, 2x560ti's, 2x970's, 2x980m's, and now 2x1080's. I've been mostly happy but it has become increasingly obvious that the industry is lessening support. Bottom line too, is that the developers are simply not putting effort into taking advantage of any of the cutting edge things in either DX12 or Vulkan. Until that happens I'm just happy when something looks goods and plays well.

I really feel that just one of these will be the single card solution for 4k gaming for quite a while. It might even be able to do some 5k when the time comes. With the added memory it will be ready for even more texture ram hungry games also.

As I've mentioned on a number of threads. . .I also believe they will be perfect matches for older 2500k/2600k systems and that's what I'm going to use it for.

Can't wait to get some kind of OC or SC type and I'll be happy for 2-4 years I think.

Ok, now I know they are just making up numbers, There is no way that thing is pulling 250 Amps, you would need wires the size of jumper cables to handle that amount of current.
The 12V power the video card is receiving needs to be stepped down to a little over 1V for the core, which is probably where the 250A quote comes from. That would work out to a little over 35A per power phase.

Back