[Breaking news?] Possible contender against the IFX-14? :drool:

it is fairly ugly... and in japanese... and it weighs 751grams which is only slightly less then the tuniq (798g) but less tall. wonder how it stacks up.

...all I can say is what idiot designed that? It's redundant! You only have two options: Air going up or going down. If it's going up, the top fins are going to interfere with airflow, and they won't absorb much, if any, heat! If it's going down, it's going to be pulling warmed air from between the fins and blowing it down onto the processor. Either way, it's horrible. :rolleyes:

...all I can say is what idiot designed that? It's redundant! You only have two options: Air going up or going down. If it's going up, the top fins are going to interfere with airflow, and they won't absorb much, if any, heat! If it's going down, it's going to be pulling warmed air from between the fins and blowing it down onto the processor. Either way, it's horrible. :rolleyes:

Well, the Tuniq IS segregated into 2 equally spaced sides yknow... With a fan in the middle :eek:

Well, the Tuniq IS segregated into 2 equally spaced sides yknow... With a fan in the middle :eek:

Um...except the air is spread out equally along the horizontal, which is entirely different than pulling air from a heated space to cool. Much more capacity for dissipation. Not the best design, but it still works far better than basically warming air before you push it onto the processor. I guarantee someone proposed this design at Thermalright, and was immediately demoted.

Feh...let's see a shootout. I'd love to see the case and chip temps. Should be great for cutting down on winter gas costs. :cool:

Um...except the air is spread out equally along the horizontal, which is entirely different than pulling air from a heated space to cool. Much more capacity for dissipation. Not the best design, but it still works far better than basically warming air before you push it onto the processor. I guarantee someone proposed this design at Thermalright, and was immediately demoted.

That makes no sense at all.

The Tuniq Tower takes air from 1 half of the HSF, which is warmed, and blows it through the other side of the HSF... Essentially taking warm air and blowing it through the rest of the HSF. Now, it's horizontal yes, but

This one takes warm air from one of the fin banks, and forces it through the other fin bank, albeit towards or away from the motherboard, rather than horizontally. This is the same design as the Tuniq Tower really, except vertically.

"Warming the air before pushing it onto the processor..." Well, first off I do think the fan is blowing upwards, exhausting away from the CPU. Second , the processor isn't going to be absorbing much of the heat even if it was blowing towards it (see the Thermalright XP-120 or CNPS-8000 or even the Big Typhoon which force the air towards the CPU), due to lack of absorptive surface area. Hell, most STOCK coolers force air towards the CPU chip, since most of the cooling surface is the pins or extrusions of the aluminum sink, it's being warmed way before it comes into contact with the base of the HSF (and thus the CPU).

The specific heat capacity of dry air is quite high, so just because it's warmed up at first a little bit doesn't mean it's going to stop absorbing air. If it did, the Tuniq, IFX-14 and other similar HSF's wouldn't work.

And, Cmon, that comment about Thermalright, how can you possibly know that?

Should be great for cutting down on winter gas costs

Huh?

And for the record. I don't think this is a GREAT design, It's got it's flaws (like the bent heatpipes...) but it's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.

"Warming the air before pushing it onto the processor..." Well, first off I do think the fan is blowing upwards, exhausting away from the CPU. Second , the processor isn't going to be absorbing much of the heat even if it was blowing towards it (see the Thermalright XP-120 or CNPS-8000 or even the Big Typhoon which force the air towards the CPU), due to lack of absorptive surface area. Hell, most STOCK coolers force air towards the CPU chip, since most of the cooling surface is the pins or extrusions of the aluminum sink, it's being warmed way before it comes into contact with the base of the HSF (and thus the CPU).

The problem with your logic is that in the event of the fan blowing down, you're ignoring the local ambient temperature. With the pressure that most performance fans today exert on an area that small (4-5 inches cubed), the local ambient temperature can make quite the difference in the temperature of the processor itself. Now, if one were to be pulling free-standing mobile air through a fan and passing it through the heatsink down to the processor, that would mean it would only have passed through a heated set of fins once. With the design in the link, it would instead come from a heated set of fins, passed through the fan, and through another set of heated fins. Consider that this community considers its purchase often on the difference of a few degrees difference, this is significant.

Now, the converse would be the air being pulled up away from the processor. In this case, the processor's immediate ambient temperature would be no different than a typical heatsink. However, the air still passes through an additional set of heated fins. This air translates to the case, creating a hotter case temperature. Granted, this is not as impacting on performance, but it is still a less desirable effect overall.

As for the Tuniq Tower, the very concept of placing the heatsink up and away from the processor is key. It allows for more airflow near the processor, and is the very reason heatsinks like the ultra 90s and 120s are getting such good reviews. It is immaterial where the fan is placed because the air is only likely to affect case temperature.

The problem with your logic is that in the event of the fan blowing down, you're ignoring the local ambient temperature. With the pressure that most performance fans today exert on an area that small (4-5 inches cubed), the local ambient temperature can make quite thSNIPure.

Nono, don't get me wrong... I don't think it's a great idea either, but I don't think it's the technological nightmare you made it out to be... Especially if it only hurts it's self by a few degrees.

and is the very reason heatsinks like the ultra 90s and 120s are getting such good reviews. It is immaterial where the fan is placed because the air is only likely to affect case temperature.

And the massive # of heatpipes...

Nono, don't get me wrong... I don't think it's a great idea either, but I don't think it's the technological nightmare you made it out to be... Especially if it only hurts it's self by a few degrees.

Well, as I said, when HardOCP stops counting the differences in degrees, then it won't matter. However, when we are looking for the coolest, even a single degree can matter if the price is right.

Back