Breaking Bad Sparks Global Piracy Craze

According to the witch hunters it's because you didn't watch it on the proper device or in the original format with all the ads and commercials. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to deal with ads if I could download it for free, having already paid a cable sub.

Heck, offer each episode d/l with no ads for $2 ea and more people would pay. I just want to watch the show, not really interested in pirating anything.

So if every show that you watch was at that rate, would you pay that much? Of course if that's the only show, not bad, but imagine if you watch 10 shows a week. You're talking $80 a month. That's 2 shows a night for 5 nights. If that's cheap for you, great, but not for me.
I don't watch that many shows. I'm watching a few of the shows on Netflix that are exclusives (which I pay for, $9.99/month) and then Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Falling Skies. I'd be fine with paying $2/episode for each. Especially if I got to send the money directly to the creators rather than have it sliced up between a bunch of shitty content providers like Comcast.

I'd gladly pay... if it wasn't region blocked or had to wait almost a year to get access to it "legally". They just got Season 4...

So if every show that you watch was at that rate, would you pay that much? Of course if that's the only show, not bad, but imagine if you watch 10 shows a week. You're talking $80 a month. That's 2 shows a night for 5 nights. If that's cheap for you, great, but not for me.

I would take that. Not all shows should be $2. If a ~1 hour show is $2, then a ~30 minute show should be $1. Paying $2 for an hour of entertainment is a bargain these days.

Which is why we see increased DRM and the likes of the MPAA/RIAA taking people to court for huge sums of money.
Which does nothing to actually prevent piracy, and most likely drives more people to pirate as watching legal content becomes more and more draconian.

Which does nothing to actually prevent piracy, and most likely drives more people to pirate as watching legal content becomes more and more draconian.

Now this man gets it.

Yeah, DRM and lawsuits are shit... but saying it drives more people to piracy I think is wrong. People do it because they can do it easily with little risk. If they make it hard enough to pirate and the risks are great enough, I'm pretty sure piracy rates will drop like a rock.

Of course, legitimate sales may drop like a rock too if the content is too much of a pain in the arse to enjoy.

I am just baffled by the people who complain about DRM and lawsuits and how shitty content is these days but yet continue to pirate the content.

Its total BS you get charged out the ass for cable, then for packages including many channels you don't want for a few you do, then commercials that take 30-40% of the time.
If I have to suffer 1/3 my time watching adds, hey, give it up for free, or if I'm paying out the ass, give it without the commercials,

I buy when the price is right. Usually when a movie hits $4.99 on BD, I snag it so I can make myself a lossless digital copy in MKV that can be played and reviewed effortlessly.

I will rarely ever buy that crap they sell in digital stores because it's all lossy.

I know quite a few people who just don't have any money.

Okay. . . . and ?

Just because you want something but don't have the money to obtain it, doesn't mean your still entitled to partake. If you go to McDonalds order and can't pay they don't give you any food.

You can want in one hand and shit in the other, which do you think will fill up first?

I don't think litigation increases piracy. Maybe securing the video content does, but probably only to a very small extent since there's not many people who are that pathetically desperate to watch a certain thing no matter how much effort they have to go through to do it. Most rational people will just go outside, hug their cat, or take a walk while the sweaty, unhealthy nerd-pirates fester over getting a better quality copy of Star Wars because they want to to see Captain Kirk get in a rocket ship and zoom to Mars.

Back