Breaking Bad Sparks Global Piracy Craze

Ya, I mean its not like you can just go to Amazon.com or iTunes and get the season pass and watch the eps as they air online for a decent price. I mean that idea is just to far out there.

...you see what I did there :D

(FYI, I don't consider $2.99 per ep at barely HD quality a good price)

Well you make me look really dumb, thanks :p

I honestly didn't know you could do that... I guess *I* am the one who is behind the times :(

Awwww...poor entitled little babies don't like the prices of TV shows? Then don't watch them, you pieces of human garbage! Or, go ahead and steal them but skip the half-baked, self-serving justification.

It's no wonder the corporate media interests want to stick it to copyright infringers when morons not only make up shitty excuses for their behavior but then keep moving the goalposts. "I only download the torrent because it's not available online in a timely fashion. Oh, it's available now? Well, I'm still going to download via torrent because while each episode is still cheaper than a vanilla latte at Starbucks, it's not cheaper enough."

Tools.

My DVR failed to record it, so I'll be pirating it shortly. Of course this will probably be counted as a lost sale by the industry

you do realize that if you have AMC then you most likely have the OnDemand channel where the episode is available for fee...not to mention that AMC will be replaying last night's episode a few times during the week...unless the DVR line was a lie and you are just trying to rationalize your pirating

We live in the digital age. Stop restricting other territories from getting it when it premieres in the states and you'll have people ALL over the world willing to pay for a 1080p stream of it.

Its called "Capitalism".

you do realize that if you have AMC then you most likely have the OnDemand channel where the episode is available for fee...not to mention that AMC will be replaying last night's episode a few times during the week...unless the DVR line was a lie and you are just trying to rationalize your pirating

spelling correction...episode is available for free...not fee :p

I get it legally through my cable subscription (and before I'd have chance to watch it these days, which has been a nice change) that said I still download them because it's more convenient through a HTPC with a nice UI than trying to grind through the UI on my cable box.

sadly, they are not listening

Oh noes, what could it be?!

Could it be because Apple/Amazon etc decided literally overnight that the season pass you bought was not a season pass, and was only half a season pass, and they fucked over their entire userbase and said "Oh! Episodes 9 - 16 is season 6! Guess you have to pay again, TEE HEE!!!!"

And then at that, they wouldn't put the new episode up on the american services until just a few hours ago, long after the show had aired, and people were like "Why the fuck does the UK get it ASAP and we are stuck waiting?!"

GEE I WONDER WHY PEOPLE PIRATED THE SHOW

We live in the digital age. Stop restricting other territories from getting it when it premieres in the states and you'll have people ALL over the world willing to pay for a 1080p stream of it.

Its called "Capitalism".
Or a lie. Or the antithesis of capitalism, at least of the "free" sort where owners of a product get to choose where and when they sell their product, and for how much.

Yet another shitty excuse for people who feel entitled to entertainment on their terms, and want to screw over the people who created the entertainment in the first place.

Oh noes, what could it be?!

Could it be because Apple/Amazon etc decided literally overnight that the season pass you bought was not a season pass, and was only half a season pass, and they fucked over their entire userbase and said "Oh! Episodes 9 - 16 is season 6! Guess you have to pay again, TEE HEE!!!!"

And then at that, they wouldn't put the new episode up on the american services until just a few hours ago, long after the show had aired, and people were like "Why the fuck does the UK get it ASAP and we are stuck waiting?!"

GEE I WONDER WHY PEOPLE PIRATED THE SHOW
Gee, I wonder if you've ever bought an Amazon season pass. If you had, you would know that they charge per episode. All a season pass does is provide a small discount and make the episode purchases automatic.

More lies. :rolleyes:

Gee, I wonder if you've ever bought an Amazon season pass. If you had, you would know that they charge per episode. All a season pass does is provide a small discount and make the episode purchases automatic.

More lies. :rolleyes:

Going by what I heard, not what I experienced

Is Apple correct? I don't pay for any TV programming, I wait for the shows to go on discounted sale on blu-ray before I buy them

Awwww...poor entitled little babies don't like the prices of TV shows? Then don't watch them, you pieces of human garbage! Or, go ahead and steal them but skip the half-baked, self-serving justification.

It's no wonder the corporate media interests want to stick it to copyright infringers when morons not only make up shitty excuses for their behavior but then keep moving the goalposts. "I only download the torrent because it's not available online in a timely fashion. Oh, it's available now? Well, I'm still going to download via torrent because while each episode is still cheaper than a vanilla latte at Starbucks, it's not cheaper enough."

Tools.

are you even reading the thread?

people are torrenting the content WHO DID PAY FOR IT and HAVE LEGAL ACCESS TO IT because it is easier and provides a better experience

do not blame users for the industry's steaming pile of delivery fail

Well you make me look really dumb, thanks :p

I honestly didn't know you could do that... I guess *I* am the one who is behind the times :(

I really didn't mean to go quite that far, as Steve pointed out this discussion is about the episode being so easily available (like Amazon and iTune) and its still getting heavily pirated. I just watch it when it reaches Netflix or Amazon Prime Free, but admit it sux when you wanna get through a spoiler free discussion with your friends. I have cable, not because I want it, but it allows me to watch it, but I avoid watching things on TV like the plague because of reasons I mentioned in my prior post.

Going by what I heard, not what I experienced
Spreading lies is spreading lies. It would take all of about 2 minutes to find out how an Amazon TV season pass works.

As for jojooverusedpatheticattemptathumornumber above, no, they didn't pay for their torrented version of the show. They paid for the version that was showed on AMC. They could have watched it and even recorded it for later, even repeated viewings. Your pathetic argument would make it seem like you're entitled to DVD/Blu-ray copies of any show that was every broadcast on cable while you had a cable subscription. Protip: You're not.

Or a lie. Or the antithesis of capitalism, at least of the "free" sort where owners of a product get to choose where and when they sell their product, and for how much.

Yet another shitty excuse for people who feel entitled to entertainment on their terms, and want to screw over the people who created the entertainment in the first place.

Right because paying for content always screws its creators. Good logic. The outcry of the system believer is the same excuse herd time and time again , entitlement.

Right because paying for content always screws its creators. Good logic. The outcry of the system believer is the same excuse herd time and time again , entitlement.
Nice try, but you don't get to advocate for capitalism and then advocate the ethical quality of stealing at the same time.

Awwww...poor entitled little babies don't like the prices of TV shows?

Cable TV here would be $46 per month, converted. AMC is not included by most cable provider offers though. There is one offering that includes it in a package however, and it's offered by one of the precious few cable providers here that has HD channels (and its available only in limited areas of the capital region). $104 per month, converted.

Then don't watch them,

I don't. LOL

you pieces of human garbage!

Stop describing yourself.

Or, go ahead and steal them

How is 00010101110101100001010101010101 10010101001 101010101 10101010100101 stolen in the first place?

"I only download the torrent because it's not available online in a timely fashion.

It's never available online, in my case.

Oh, it's available now?

Nope, it isn't.

Well, I'm still going to download via torrent because while each episode is still cheaper than a vanilla latte at Starbucks, it's not cheaper enough."

Doesn't apply since it was never available to begin with, and never will be, until DVD/Blu-ray comes out, which is priced the same as two months' worth of cable TV.

Cable TV here would be $46 per month, converted. AMC is not included by most cable provider offers though. There is one offering that includes it in a package however, and it's offered by one of the precious few cable providers here that has HD channels (and its available only in limited areas of the capital region). $104 per month, converted.
And so?
How is 00010101110101100001010101010101 10010101001 101010101 10101010100101 stolen in the first place?
Standard semantic argument of digital thieves.
It's never available online, in my case.
It's a US show. Why is the whole world entitled to have it on the same day?
Doesn't apply since it was never available to begin with, and never will be, until DVD/Blu-ray comes out, which is priced the same as two months' worth of cable TV.
And so?

I'm sure you'd prefer to exist in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you, but that's not the way it's going to work today in this thread. The pathetic losers who pretend that illegal downloads are ethically justified get to hear from someone who, despite having no financial stake in corporate media, disagrees.

I subscribe to a cable package that includes AMC and HBO.
I have HBO Go on all my Android devices, so I always watch Thrones and True Blood on any of my 5 Android devices.
I'm not a Breaking Bad person, but I do love me some Walking Dead and Arrow. AMC and ABC Family are just terrible with commercials, you get 5 minutes of show then 3 minutes of commercials.
I either DVR them and forward through the commercials, or since my cable service sucks ass so much (thank you Time Warner) and the show doesn't record (or records sound without a picture or a picture without sound) or the On Demand channel doesn't work I just download either of them.
No commercials to forward through, plus I can slap them into my Android devices and watch them in any room instead of just the one with the DVR.
But hey, I don't feel bad about it. I pay for those services, so on the occasion I don't receive them I hop on over to a torrent. If my services worked correctly, I wouldn't.

We REALLY need a pick n choose system for cable, too many channels I can't stand I'm forced to pay for just to get a channel I want.

I imagine you're at least familiar with a capitalist economic system...so why wonder about the relevance of that portion of my post?

Standard semantic argument of digital thieves.

Indeed, the law really is semantics heavy. Even those which the MPAA/RIAA have successfully put into trial were given civil charges, and not criminal, because despite their efforts copyright infringement is actually still not grounds for a criminal case, but a civil one. It's only in the very public few (3?) cases where they successfully got to push through with criminal charges.

If you're talking about piracy (in the high seas) then of course that would be different entirely.

It's a US show. Why is the whole world entitled to have it on the same day?

I don't see how this is relevant at all though. Especially considering the Federal Trade Commission is also periodically involved by the likes of the MPAA/RIAA in several cases. Or 'trade' now involves one party only?

"I imagine you're at least familiar with a capitalist economic system...so why wonder about the relevance of that portion of my post?"

Don't shows that are good go for like longer than 5 seasons? I dunno because I don't own a TV or watch any streaming stuff, but if it was crappy enough to only make a few seasons, why would people pirate it? Is it just to be funny, by making something really lame into a joke as a bit download hit?

Don't shows that are good go for like longer than 5 seasons? I dunno because I don't own a TV or watch any streaming stuff, but if it was crappy enough to only make a few seasons, why would people pirate it? Is it just to be funny, by making something really lame into a joke as a bit download hit?
Vince Gilligan, the creator of the show, only wanted it to go for a certain period of time. It's a serialised show; it's telling a long arching story that starts at s1e1 and finishes at s5e16.

Vince Gilligan, the creator of the show, only wanted it to go for a certain period of time. It's a serialised show; it's telling a long arching story that starts at s1e1 and finishes at s5e16.

Oh okay! So it's a lot more like a planned obsolence thing.

I download some stuff, but ever since Charter sent me an e-mail saying they got a notice from Take-Two that they took note of my IP address for downloading Bioshock 2, it makes me a little nervous.

TV show contracts are often written for 5 seasons, and after that if the studio wants to keep making the show they have to get the talent to sign new contracts. If the show is a massive hit, this can be prohibitively expensive. It's why you'll sometimes see hit shows churning through starring or fan-favorite supporting cast members later in their runs if these people demand too much money. Speaking specifically about Breaking Bad though, it was intended as a serialized story.

I know quite a few people who just don't have any money.

I also know that places like Hulu Plus are total douchewads. I can't tell you how many shows I've seen on the website and go COOL and go to watch them on my Roku or Vizio TV only to have it not show up. Then I go back to my PC and see the fine print that says "web only."

Restrictions are still a HUGE problem. Luckily I still have a HTPC and plenty of money to blow, most people I know can hardly feed their family even with foodstamps/lonestar and other government aid. So paying for regular doses of restricted media is out of the cards for them entirely. Most will go to their parents house to download stuff, these are people in their mid to late 20's as well.

Poor people can't afford it no matter what.

I'm sure you'd prefer to exist in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you, but that's not the way it's going to work today in this thread. The pathetic losers who pretend that illegal downloads are ethically justified get to hear from someone who, despite having no financial stake in corporate media, disagrees.

*Hears the echo of the system and its believers*

I download it so I can watch it at my convenience without commercials.
They also have a follow up show after every episode for the last 8 called Talking Bad where they discuss the episode that just aired.

Im going to go out on a limb here and state that the reason people pirate is ease of use.

Dont wanna watch commercials or even fast forward through them?
Pirate.
Have to work during the showing of an episode, or you are not home to enjoy it?
Pirate.
Dont like paying ridiculous cable fees for stations/channels you wouldnt watch if they paid you?
Pirate.
Dont enjoy having the lobbyist for the entertainment industry attempt to stick their nose into legitimate laws. like the RIAA attempting to put into the patriot act provisions against piracy?
Pirate.

But ultimately, if you want to protest the entertainment industry as a whole, then pirate all day long. It is our right to protest things we want to protest, and piracy has become the largest form of protest in the new age. How can you protest CBS or Time Warner Cable when you live 2 hours away? or 2000 miles away? Simple, just pirate the living piss out of their programming. Im not saying its right, but im not going to say its wrong either. Your paycheck to paycheck lifestyle does not compare to the entertainment industries ability to file a lawsuit with their hundreds of lawyers on retainer. So what choice do you have?
Piracy is about it. Of sure you can write letters saying how much you hate a company and think they are shit, or write your congressman in the hopes he will actually read your letter instead of getting a blow job from some high priced attorneys secretary while being paid with your tax dollars, but honestly, would you pull yourself away from that for some guy ranting about time warner cable? Neither would he. And in this day and age, who the hell in their right mind would even consider writing a letter to a congressman or a corporation with the amount of spying going on? And whos to say you wont have the FBI at your house when those jackoffs at that corporation consider you a threat with your letter then have you arrested for a terroristic threat? Sound unreasonable? Its happened.

Piracy is piracy, you can justify it all day long however you want, and the entertainment industry can say its wrong all day long based on current laws. Who cares. You are the one who decides what you want to watch, not them. Pirate or dont. And you are the one who's money they want, so its up to you. Just enjoy yourself whatever choice you make.

People pirate show for various reasons. A couple would be to have the convenience to watch it when you want and to watch it commercial free. Most of the time people will watch it and then delete it. I watch a lot of shows that way. Sometimes I don't have time or miss a show so I'll wait until the end of the season, download them all, watch them all when I want commercial free and then dump them. If that makes me a pirate so fucking be it.

Must be ready for download asap.
Must be inexpensive.

$2.00 an episode is not inexpensive IMO. Not worth it to me. I'll put up with 2 to 4 commercials during normal breaks while streaming.

HBO should offer direct streaming subscriptions. I'd pay $10 a month for HBO, but probably no other service.
$2.00 an episode is pretty damn cheap. If I could download a HD quality 5.1 audio copy of Breaking Bad same day as release I would be all over that.

Unfortunately I can't, so to the torrents I went.

$2.00 an episode is pretty damn cheap. If I could download a HD quality 5.1 audio copy of Breaking Bad same day as release I would be all over that.

Unfortunately I can't, so to the torrents I went.
So if every show that you watch was at that rate, would you pay that much? Of course if that's the only show, not bad, but imagine if you watch 10 shows a week. You're talking $80 a month. That's 2 shows a night for 5 nights. If that's cheap for you, great, but not for me.

Tools.

You know, looking at my downloads for the last 3 weeks.. every one of them is a show that I already subscribe to the channel. Funny enough, I record the show "legally" on my PVR (SageTV), via CableCard which doesn't allow On-Demand. So, I've actually got two copies of the same show, one I legally recorded and a second copy that I can transfer to mobile devices/laptop/external hard drive and view at my pleasure.. since that is what I'm paying TV for anyways.. my pleasure... not to line some company's pockets.

Explain to me again how what I am doing is morally/ethically wrong? I'm paying the cable company for both TV service and Cable service (bandwidth). I'm recording the show, during airtime, including commercials so as long as their system is up with the modern times they get a "view" for the show as well as all the commercials that the product companies paid for a time slot (though I will be skipping them when I watch on my TV). Finally, I have a digital copy I can take with me and watch if I'm not at home. When I am at home, I usually prefer to watch the recorded version anyways (with commercial autoskip) for better quality anyways.

If I was really worried about it, I could take the recording, cut the commercials via VideoRedo, then compress them myself with Handbrake... and end up with the exact same setup just without torrenting/usenet/etc. Would that also make me a piece of garbage? If not, then why not? Just because I did the work to cut commercials and compress the file myself?

Back