Brand New Users PMing FS/T Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I see this happening is if it's an alt of someone who has access and they're looking to scam without having a name attached. I'd just ignore the PM.

there is a twitter feed that even includes the FS/T items (and WTB). That is how I saw these posts without even knowing the rules I PM'd a response to a WTB Verizon Jetpack.

I have a similar situation going on. Didnt realize this user was 2 days old on the forum and only has 10 posts. I know I am really new as well but not as new as this user. Makes me wonder if I should deal with this person or not after seeing that ppl use the forum to try and scam people?

I have the option of dealing with the noobie, or a member of like 9 years, which would u choose? NO offense but I say the 9 yr member?

I bought things from BST via pm here when I was under the 50 (or was it 100?) post cap.

My understanding is you have to be over cap to post but what people do in PMs is their own business. Just don't feel bad when things go south and [H] doesn't offer to help.

I might be alone here, but wouldn't it be better to hide the subforum from users that don't meet the requirement?

Well, everybody start somewhere. If you think too good to be true or a scammer deal. Then tell him to ship first since he has no feedback with a newbie account

I don't have 100 posts yet, but I've already PM'd and completed a couple transactions on the forum, here.

I'm always a lurker, but I'm trying to improve!

I think there should be a minimum post count to PM. Someone like 15-25 posts before PM are activated. Would help the situation just a little.

I know its been discussed here multiple times though. The end solution is do not buy/sell to those people unless you want to take the risk. Seems like a reasonable enough solution. We all have the option to sell to and buy from who we want.

I've sold codes to people with few to zero posts before and had no problems. And digital items especially are really easy to scam sellers with.

I originally came to this forum to learn more, but I was also referred here for the buy/sell thread. I definitely understand not wanting anyone trying to buy/sell to lower the chance of scammers. I'm doing my best to make quality posts to get to my 100.

Another newbie here, and I've had great results purchasing stuff from the FS/T forum. I was actually referred here after getting fed up with all the scammers on the Tomshardware forums though, so I understand the reluctance to deal with relative unknowns. From my end, it's a great relief to be dealing primarily with guys that have more than a decade of history here and I don't sweat it if I don't get a tracking number right away or I have to jump through a couple hoops to prove that I'm on the level.

There are a number of times I've wished I could post in the forum as well, but the rule makes sense and, like Kalmado, I'm being mindful not to make just garbage filler posts to pad my count.

Another newbie here, and I've had great results purchasing stuff from the FS/T forum. I was actually referred here after getting fed up with all the scammers on the Tomshardware forums though, so I understand the reluctance to deal with relative unknowns. From my end, it's a great relief to be dealing primarily with guys that have more than a decade of history here and I don't sweat it if I don't get a tracking number right away or I have to jump through a couple hoops to prove that I'm on the level.

There are a number of times I've wished I could post in the forum as well, but the rule makes sense and, like Kalmado, I'm being mindful not to make just garbage filler posts to pad my count.
Man that's a great point about tomshardware. I never browsed their buy/sell, but I gave up on their forums for advice quite awhile ago. That's when on my main forum I visit, http://www.bluegartr.com/forum.php, some of the tech guys suggested [H]ard because of the knowledge and the perks of the buy/sell section. I have browsed the buy/sell here, and if I do see something I'm keen on buying I will PM someone about it. I'm not hard to find on the internet and always put my best foot forward to be respectful to the community I'm partaking in. I hope in the end it will count for something.

I might be alone here, but wouldn't it be better to hide the subforum from users that don't meet the requirement?
No. The BST is one of the primary reasons why i became a member to begin with. I think hiding it would be a horrible business decision for kyle to make

I'm going to have to disagree with this. For one it would stop dealings behind the scenes through pms, etc. It would also make the user do the 100 post count to earn his place to get to use the forum. He might lose some traffic by hiding it. But it would make things run a bit smoother in here.

No. The BST is one of the primary reasons why i became a member to begin with. I think hiding it would be a horrible business decision for kyle to make

I've been a lurker for years. I Only bothered making an account to buy from folks on the FS/T section really. Well, that and the fact that I can't get into my original account.

I can't sell and that's fine. 100 posts to sell seems fair to me. I don't see the issue with making purchases with a minimal post count if you are most likely paying with Paypal & providing your HEAT information.

I don't see a problem with contacting sellers via PM. It saves on thread clutter. Most serious buyers are more inclined to contact a seller via PM to begin with IMO. The thread is there for relevant, open questions and notifications IMO.

My $ .02

Last edited:
For what it's worth since I've been promoted to mod over there I've been pushing Toms to clean up their FS/FT. Most of the mods hadn't even heard of heatware. A thread got flagged and I had to convince them it was ok. Hopefully give us some time to get our act together. It's one of the largest site, with a FS/FT section that is amazingly small.

For what it's worth since I've been promoted to mod over there I've been pushing Toms to clean up their FS/FT. Most of the mods hadn't even heard of heatware. A thread got flagged and I had to convince them it was ok. Hopefully give us some time to get our act together. It's one of the largest site, with a FS/FT section that is amazingly small.

Too little too late, man. The site itself is bad enough with the vomit-inducing ad-spam. I can't stand to even load the site without some form of adblock running.

And as for the FS/FT forum... I've had to invoke Paypal's buyer protection three different times after paying scammers on Tom's for parts that were never sent. I've never had that happen anywhere else. I also sent several messages to jpishgar about an abusive moderator and never received any reply.

I'd spent years coaching newbies on first time builds and part selection over there, but Toms is all but dead to me now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back