Brand new Synology DiskStation DS214SE -- authentication failure for CIFS/SMB shares

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

We experience that after a weekend and sometimes even spontaneously throughout the work week access to the CIFS/SMB shares is not possible. We get prompted to authenticate, we try our domain credentials and it doesn't work (it just asks for credentials again), so I try local admin credentials and it takes it bit nothing happens -- then I try to access the drive I already have mapped and it throws up an error about invalid credentials (I can't remember if that was the error actually).

Point is, this happens spontaneously. When I look in the syslogs there's absolutely nothing about this problem. When this problem happens and every time we try to authenticate whether using domain or local (to device) credentials it shows up in syslogs as "<user credentials> accessed <share>" and nothing more.

I understand that this isn't an enterprise-grade NAS but COME ON, seriously, I expected WAY better out of a Synology device. This is pretty sub-standard and poor functionality.

We have two brand new WD Red 4TB drives in the unit + an external WD Live Book 4TB connected via USB. The 4TB RAID1 is a share 'it', and the external drive is a share 'dump',

Could anyone give me some guidance on how to resolve this problem?

Do you have a temporary solution ? If you restart the NAS or the computer, does it connect ?

I had problems with logins persistence/errors once, turns out Windows 7 Credentials manager was messing around with the shares.

I almost always have to restart the NAS. I can still access web-interface just fine.

When this problem happens, it happens to everybody at the same time -- it isn't just my work laptop or my VDI.

Try to upgrade / downgrade the firmware. I had problems with logins but it was for persistence, so its not at all like you described.

How many users, it uses an relatively slow CPU so it might get overloaded a times causing your issues. How does it get auth?
//Danne

LDAP. This is a very underused NAS... control panel doesn't report any high mem or CPU when this happens. At any one time, average is 0 connections. But when there is, it is unlikely that there will be more than 1 user simultaneously accessing the device, even more so after hours.

Greetings,

I got to SSH, found the file that contained SMB configurations (something like /usr/syno/etc/smb.conf), and found that there were like four dozen or more security groups in the line for specifically denying access, so I removed them all. One whole weekend later and I'm still able to access the shares. Will continue to see how things go.

I also made a modification to sysctl.conf. Before:
Code:
kernel.panic=3

After
Code:
kernel.panic=3
net.core.wmem_max=12582912
net.core.rmem_max=12582912
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem= 10240 87380 12582912
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem= 10240 87380 12582912
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1

I got these tweaks from http://blog.jeffcosta.com/2012/12/29/tuning-your-synology-nas-for-speed/. My DS214se has 256MB of RAM just like the author of that post.

I uninstalled a package I didn't use but installed Config Editor (very handy), and Service Switch to try find something to free up resources

EDIT: So it did it to me later this morning after posting the above throwing up this error message on both mapped network drives I have:

Restoring Network Connection

An error occurred while reconnecting Z. to
\\172.16.42.29\dump
Microsoft Windows Network: Multiple connections to a server or shared
resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not
allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared
resource and try again.

This connection has not been restored.

After about 45 seconds it let me in. I do have power savings and sleep turned OFF on both these drives. I think it was waking up the harddrives :(, so this isn't actually the problem described in OP. OP was more or less an authentication issue.

Last edited:
Back