Brand New Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD with Hole Drilled In It

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
If this forum didn't have a minimum post requirement I'd create a throwaway to make this listing out of embarrassment. So, I bought a Dell XPS 15 (9550) a couple weeks ago that only had a 128gb ssd in it. I wanted to upgrade the hard drive and when I googled it to research how to do it, I saw an xps with a regular 2.5" ssd in it. I went to Best Buy and bought a brand new 1tb Samsung 850 EVO drive, brought it home, and took my laptop apart to find that mine didn't look like the picture (because my laptop has a bigger battery that takes up the space where a 2.5" drive would fit). My laptop only has a pcie slot. It's getting late so I decide to put the project on pause and go get some dinner. After a burger and a few beers, I resume trying to replace the drive. I search "samsung 850 evo 1tb ssd" on Google Images and see the PCIe version of the drive as well as pictures like this. Like a total moron, I come to the conclusion that I need to remove the chip from inside the drive's case (lol) so I grab my trusty set of torx bits and start to unscrew the 1 screw on the top.. but I strip it. "Not to worry! I have a drill, I'll just drill the stripped screw out!" I think to myself as I bring the drive to my garage. I start drilling away at the stripped screw and 15 minutes later it doesn't seem like I'm any closer to drilling the screw out, so I switch to a bigger drill bit. Another 15 minutes later and no longer caring about ruining the "case" of the drive, I finish drilling it out, only to realize the giant mistake I'd just made... There is no pcie version of the drive inside the 2.5" drive case. As the knot quickly forms in my stomach, I run inside and connect the drive to my desktop to make sure it still works because remnants of the screw I drilled out are partially melted onto the PCB. Luckily it still works but I have no way of returning it now.

UPCGmuB.jpg

Does anyone need a brand new albeit cosmetically defective 1tb Samsung 850 EVO SSD? Asking $280 shipped OBO (I paid $330+ tax at Best Buy).

Last edited:
That will surely be a piece of [H] history...

Id trade my 500GB EVO and 40$ for that treasure...

If the PCB is damaged, the truly tragic part is that OP could have gotten away with this mistake but due to sheer, blind luck (or lack thereof) he didn't drill through one of the other edges that happened to be vacant (looking at the pic that swiftwind linked).

You could totally sell this if you do so with a deeper discount and a Crystal Disk Info screenshot.

How many beers did you have???

More than I should have before working on a computer or operating power tools lol

If the PCB is damaged, the truly tragic part is that OP could have gotten away with this mistake but due to sheer, blind luck (or lack thereof) he didn't drill through one of the other edges that happened to be vacant (looking at the pic that swiftwind linked).

I don't believe I touched any traces on the board which is why it's still functioning. I formatted it NTFS and ran chkdsk on it and everything came back alright.

You could totally sell this if you do so with a deeper discount and a Crystal Disk Info screenshot.

I'm asking $280 but I'm open to offers. I'll download Crystal Disk Info and run it to confirm whether the drive is fully indeed fully functional.

Yeah, put it in an external enclosure or something. I doubt you'll ever get anywhere near to what it cost you, since there's zero warranty support on it now.

Yeah, put it in an external enclosure or something. I doubt you'll ever get anywhere near to what it cost you, since there's zero warranty support on it now.

I've been contemplating doing this but I have no idea what I'd use it for. What do people use external hard drives for anymore these days?

just convine yourself you drilled through the pcb and broke it and at the cost of shiping (and a beer ;)) ill remove the mistake from your hands.

Legendary.

Also - regarding the external drive idea. My wife is a photographer and uses two SSDs as editing drives when she's working out of town - she's pretty rough with her hardware (though clearly not as rough as you) and I insisted on the SSD route after seeing her portable spinner drives constantly falling off things.

Id buy it, but for no where near the price you are asking.
I would have trade for it at a lower value.

This is a FS thread, if your not interested in buying the item, do not post in this thread

Thanks for the bump, haha. What does everyone think would be a more reasonable price for this drive? I've been flooded with a bunch of $100 offers.

1TB 850 EVO is going on sale for BF for about $230 depending upon store. I would say 50%-60% is fair considering no warranty on it even though it is working now. So about $115-140 range.

that is nuts beyond nuts! Who would risk buying that with no warranty whatsoever?

OP needs some better drill bits. 30 minutes of drilling should have bored a hole right through that!

Back