Brand new PSU making slight crackling sound

Lyell Wolf

n00b
Hey guys,

I recently built a new computer (1 day ago) and I was running a small test to verify all the components powered on properly and noticed my Corsair was making an odd crackling noise. Did some research and it may be something called Coil whine. I thought it odd but perhaps it's just a break in phase? I didn't want to do extensive testing with my Mobo plugged in.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I should note that Newegg shipped the PSU with it sitting on the bottom of the box without an padding besides it's own boxing (had too many issues with Newegg doing this, never buying there again). I could RMA it but wanted to get some input first.

Coil whine is a very high pitched, consistent noise. That's why it's called a whine. A crackling sound is most likely something else, though without hearing the noise in person it's hard to say.

Coil whine is a very high pitched, consistent noise. That's why it's called a whine. A crackling sound is most likely something else, though without hearing the noise in person it's hard to say.

I wondered why it was called a whine. Thanks for the clarification.
As for the sound, I could upload a video but honestly from your post I doubt I have much to worry about. However, to give a description of what it sounds like: It's like when you plug in a power cord and the outlet makes a popping sound from the contact. It's much like that but very soft.

I wondered why it was called a whine. Thanks for the clarification.
As for the sound, I could upload a video but honestly from your post I doubt I have much to worry about. However, to give a description of what it sounds like: It's like when you plug in a power cord and the outlet makes a popping sound from the contact. It's much like that but very soft.

I would say that is probably cause for concern, as that doesn't sound remotely close to normal.

contact a corsair rep...since it could also be a failing capacitor....i wouldn't chance with crackling noise since to me that could also describe an ark:eek:rumor is there turn around time is fast

It appears there is a relay in your PSU. That can make a subtle cracking noise as it opens and closes. Does it only do it once or twice then stop, or is it constant?

Last edited:
It appears there is a relay in your PSU. That can make a subtle cracking noise as it opens and closes. Does it only do it once or twice then stop, or is it constant?

At first it was constant, but after rechecking wires and such it no longer makes the noise. I has since then built the computer and have had no issues with shorts/noise.

At first it was constant, but after rechecking wires and such it no longer makes the noise. I has since then built the computer and have had no issues with shorts/noise.

good to hear its working great now:D......such a pain to rma stuff

in 20 years I've had 2 PSU's do that. One was excess solder flux melting away, the other was a "goo" on a heat-sink.

Nothing to worry about as long as it stopped.

shits-on-fire-yo.jpg

Variable, irregular crackling is a very bad sign, especially the one you described - which is arching due to current rushing to the discharged filtering capacitors (I think).
Arching does, as signalled above, mean that your shit is quite possibly ablaze. It will charr and get worse.
The one crackling PSU I had had a partially unsoldered mains socket. Dangerous stuff.

It hasn't made the same sound since the computer's been put together and therefore feel comfortable dismissing the noise. Of course, if the noise is to return or if I have any odd fluctuations with my system, I'll see about performing a RMA. But I do not want to overreact to something that may not occur again.

Keeping fingers crossed,
Thanks for your input

Could have just been a loose power supply cable.

If you want to make sure (for paranoia's sake), do the following:
- run some benchmarks for hours,
- turn your computer off
- turn the psu switch off, try to power on to fully discharge
- touch the case or a radiator first to remove static
- run your fingers across the insulation on all major power connectors
- if you have a bad connection somewhere, it will also generate abnormal heat

Back