Brand new Corsair RM650i died

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a new RM650i PSU that died upon first boot of the computer!

So... I connected the ATX and CPU power along with a single SATA SSD, and went to plug it to the wall. I tried the "fan-test"-button, and the fan spun up!

When I booted the PC, something in the PSU went "poof", and tripped pretty much all of the breaker box!

The exact same setup with two different PSU's works perfectly fine...

The point being:

I got a new RM650x in exchange, and could keep the faulty unit...

I opened the dead unit to inspect. I couldn't see any obvious defects, and with my limited electrical skills, I tried to check for both shortcirquiting and continuity (at least on the primary side).

So...

Does anyone have any idea if this unit is worthwile repairing, or if there are any "usual suspects" in what components could be dead?

Right now, it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice with a second, working "new" PSU!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Was there a 110/220 switch on it by chance? Probably not but frying it like that is really odd unless the QC inspector was trying to get home early on a Friday

Hello everyone!

So... I connected the ATX and CPU power along with a single SATA SSD, and went to plug it to the wall. I tried the "fan-test"-button, and the fan spun up!

When I booted the PC, something in the PSU went "poof", and tripped pretty much all of the breaker box!

The point being:

I got a new RM650x in exchange, and could keep the faulty unit...

I opened the dead unit to inspect. I couldn't see any obvious defects, and with my limited electrical skills, I tried to check for both shortcirquiting and continuity (at least on the primary side).

So...

Does anyone have any idea if this unit is worthwile repairing, or if there are any "usual suspects" in what components could be dead?

Right now, it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice with a second, working "new" PSU!

Thanks in advance for any input!

I got the same issue, probably by connecting the Dell Studio 8300's 4 pins motherboard connection to a six pins Corsair connector (being the only one that seemed to fit). It resulted in both the power unit and the PC being dead, with some burning smell from the power unit. Afterwards a supplied 8 pins connector appeared to be separable in two four pins, so apparently this was the error that has been made. All this black wiring is hard to discriminate in my opinion. Anyway. when I do the Corsair power test by making the connection n the 24 pins ATX connector the fan spins yet when putting it into another computer it starts (computer fan spins) and stalls immediately. The controlling transistor apparently blocks the circuitry.
My conclusion: the unit is not shortcircuit protected, when something goes wrong you're likely to destroy the power transistor or the regulating circuit. So it's not that fancy as it is profiled. In my case no guarantee also, since I bought the unit in brandnew condition through a marketplace.

I got the same issue, probably by connecting the Dell Studio 8300's 4 pins motherboard connection to a six pins Corsair connector (being the only one that seemed to fit)

Yeah.. don't do that. 6/8 pin PCIe power connectors are not wired the same as 4/8 pin motherboard power connectors, even though they look similar, the grounds and power are swapped around.

If both the motherboard and the PSU burned, then both lack short circuit protection. Most good quality motherboards going back at least 10 years have idiot proofing to prevent swapping the connectors around, they just won't power up if they detect the wrong connector.

Really a shame to see such an expensive PSU lack short circuit protection, be interesting to see who the manufacturer of the unit is because Corsair just slaps their name on it.

Back