[BRAIN FART]: PS4 hooked up to a U3011 with soundbar question...

jaypeezee

Gawd
Ok. So this is no excuse but I've been up for the past 30 hrs (because of work) and I am finally getting around to hooking up my PS4... I've run in to a problem regarding Audio that I know is VERY basic but for the life of me I cannot think of a solution - perhaps the insomnia kicking in?

So here's what I've got and what I'm trying to accomplish;

I have a U3011 as my main monitor. I use a Dell Soundbar as 2 channel speakers for my computer. The soundbar is being powered by the monitor while the audio input is running directly to my tower.

I just hooked up my PS4 via HDMI on the U3011 and I am not receiving sound. This is because I do not have an audio output (speaker) connected to the monitor.

Which brings me to my issue; Ideally I would like to bypass having a second set of speakers on my desk and use my soundbar for all audio; ps4 and computer. I would prefer to NOT have to manually switch the cables when I wanna use a specific device (i.e. ps4 vs computer).

How can I go about doing this... ? My logic says a "Y-Plug" that has a female end (soundbar in) and 2 male out (one connected to monitor, and the other to the computer directly). I am not worried about both audio devices playing at once, because realistically I would not be using both the PS4 and computer simultaneously - unless the u3011 has some magical hidden feature that allows PIP. Having said that, there is potential that both audio sources could be "crossed" while playing PS4 due to the computer being left idle so any accidental mouse clicks/key strokes would potentially trigger a sound while playing the PS4.

Am I right in my logic or is a second set of speakers in my future? Sorry for the "basic" question, my brain just isn't operating on all cylinders right now.

Do you have an optical out cable? I'd use that instead. The PS4 supports that output I believe; not sure if your soundbar has an input for optical or not. Worth a shot.

You could get some sort of 3.5mm audio switch then run a 3.5mm cable into your controller and output that way, that's probably the cheapest(ps4 controller + pc hooked into the 2 inputs, speakers hooked into the output). If you don't want a cable plugged in your controller add on an optical -> analog converter box then run an optical cable from ps4 to the converter box, then 3.5mm cable to the switch box.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How do you hook up from your computer to the monitor? You might be able to put audio over that, and hook the soundbar to the audio output from the monitor.

If you can't get the monitor to do the switching, a simple y-plug (or reversed splitter) will mostly work, but there's a possibility that doing it that way will destroy one or both of the involved audio outputs (not necessarily right away). It's better if you have resistors in there (search for 'passive mixer').

(btw the U3011 does have picture by picture; but I don't know what inputs that works with)

I use DVI to hook up to my tower so passing audio through that is out of the question...

Thanks for the suggestions guys... It seems after sleeping on it, a cumbersome workaround is needed. The easiest, cheapest, and quickest fix would be to purchase an inexpensive set of speakers - im not an audiophile so thats of no concern.

i have my console hooked up to my u3011 as well
what i do is
Console HDMI -> U3011
Console Optical -> PC -> speaker

Back