Brace yourself: The death of unlimited mobile data is coming

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Brace yourself: The death of unlimited mobile data is coming
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454764,00.asp

The two leading wireless carriers in the United States built up huge smartphone user bases while luring customers in with unlimited data plans. The writing was on the wall years ago, however, and as mobile data usage exploded, Verizon Wireless and AT&T both dumped their unlimited plans in favor of tiered data offerings that slam users with overage charges if they use too much data in a billing period. Sprint and T-Mobile continue to use unlimited data plans as a point of differentiation with their larger rivals but as one analysis pointed out this week, the days of unlimited data at Sprint and T-Mobile are numbered.

Sascha Segan has penned a piece that sheds light on a simple truth U.S. wireless subscribers will all soon have to face: Unlimited mobile data plans are dying and there is nothing we can do to stop it.

613.gif

I don't believe it though. Let me go on the record as saying that Unlimited data on these two smaller carriers is here to stay for at least the next 2 years. :p

Plus this is a Zorachus rumor thread, so it's already wrong. ;)

As long as there are consumers driving market and demand...
As long as there are federal overseers to prevent carriers from collaborating to conspire for this...
As long as there is media to disclose what is unpopular and unwanted...
And as long as there are [H] forum fanatics...
Then I don't see that happening.

Do you think I had it listed in the right order?

As long as there are consumers driving market and demand...
As long as there are federal overseers to prevent carriers from collaborating to conspire for this...
As long as there is media to disclose what is unpopular and unwanted...
And as long as there are [H] forum fanatics...
Then I don't see that happening.

Do you think I had it listed in the right order?
You think too highly of regular consumers. Face it. This country is run by corporations, stock brokers, and banks. A good example is product price inflation vs wage inflation. Everything will be getting more expensive while your wage stays the same. And then there are price collusion such as telecom and cable and their local monopolies. Have you actually seen your prices go down?

While I do think that wireless plans and pricing structures are complete BS, I really don't care about unlimited data. I almost never hit my 2gb cap. I just wish I could pay for the data I use, like a like an electric or gas utility.

While I do think that wireless plans and pricing structures are complete BS, I really don't care about unlimited data. I almost never hit my 2gb cap. I just wish I could pay for the data I use, like a like an electric or gas utility.
unfortunately, you're also a little bit short sighted, and that's normal. Back in the day, no one needed more than 256MB of RAM. No one needed faster than 8Kbps of dial up... But as technology moved on, so has our demands. Wireless could really replace wired services completely. And an example of some advancement not too far in the future, we're also going to need 4K streaming. Sure, mathematicians and computer scientists have figured out how to compress and decompress bigger and higher quality video streams from end to end respectively, the end still results in a more data transfer. Just because you don't use 2GB of data on a phone today doesn't mean you won't in the future.

That said, I'm hoping the carriers do up the data limit in the future too with better tech and LTE-A.

(Sprint already demoed a 2.6 Gbps connectivity with "Sprint Spark" fully loaded for crying out loud. Now walk the walk.)

I've still got my unlimited data with VZW. All my "upgrades" are out of contract. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let them take my data away. I used 172GB one month ;)

I would be fine with metered data, not rip off data. Sprint used to have the fair and flexible plan. It was simple and the correct way to approach phone minutes. You pay a certain monthly rate, then if you go over your minutes on that plan its just $5 for an extra bundle of minutes. Go over that another $5.

Data could be the same way, but its really all about the numbers. $5 for 2GB is reasonable. $15 for 500 MB is not. ( I have heard this is what Verizon charges on top of their industries highest cost plans)

I've still got my unlimited data with VZW. All my "upgrades" are out of contract. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let them take my data away. I used 172GB one month ;)
You realize that this could be taken away with a snap of their fingers, right? There's nothing compelling VZW or ATT to continue grandfathering people under the old data plans.

Unlimited data is going away - on wireless first and eventually for home/land line based ISP's, it's only a matter of time when there's absolutely nothing to stop companies that have government approved monopolies.

You realize that this could be taken away with a snap of their fingers, right? There's nothing compelling VZW or ATT to continue grandfathering people under the old data plans.

Unlimited data is going away - on wireless first and eventually for home/land line based ISP's, it's only a matter of time when there's absolutely nothing to stop companies that have government approved monopolies.

There is a small thing keeping Verizon and AT&T from taking our unlimited data plans; contracts. If they change your plan, then they break your contract, giving you an ETF-free option to go to another carrier with your phone that they're possibly still subsidizing. And there are still lots of people out there that have relatively new contracts with unlimited data plans (I am one of them), because you can still re-new your contract with unlimited data without upgrading to a new phone (by transferring the upgrade to another line - what I did). So if Verizon want to kill my contract and let me take my relatively new phone(s) with me to sell towards new ones or use on another carrier (since most of their phones are unlockable), I'm cool with that and the degradation of service/coverage of moving to a smaller carrier/MNVO.

And there is something we can do to stop companies from consistently raising prices while lowering your amount of services; stop using and paying for them. But that's easier said than done and once most people get used to having these luxuries, they're not willing to let go of them unless it's absolutely unaffordable (and even then some people will starve themselves before they lose their iPhone).

There is a small thing keeping Verizon and AT&T from taking our unlimited data plans; contracts. If they change your plan, then they break your contract, giving you an ETF-free option to go to another carrier with your phone that they're possibly still subsidizing. And there are still lots of people out there that have relatively new contracts with unlimited data plans (I am one of them), because you can still re-new your contract with unlimited data without upgrading to a new phone (by transferring the upgrade to another line - what I did). So if Verizon want to kill my contract and let me take my relatively new phone(s) with me to sell towards new ones or use on another carrier (since most of their phones are unlockable), I'm cool with that and the degradation of service/coverage of moving to a smaller carrier/MNVO.

And there is something we can do to stop companies from consistently raising prices while lowering your amount of services; stop using and paying for them. But that's easier said than done and once most people get used to having these luxuries, they're not willing to let go of them unless it's absolutely unaffordable (and even then some people will starve themselves before they lose their iPhone).
I'm willing to bet that there's legal'ese in the contract you signed saying that Verizon can change the terms of service of your plan at any time leaving Verizon with no obligation to forgive your ETF - just like how TV co's can drop channels at anytime with no obligation of lowering your bill or letting you cancel your contract with no etf.

and people will never stop using or paying for their phones at this point. Most would rather sacrifice their TV bills rather than their cell bills. The industry has this country so hooked that people look at you funny if you say "I don't have a cell phone."

I'm willing to bet that there's legal'ese in the contract you signed saying that Verizon can change the terms of service of your plan at any time leaving Verizon with no obligation to forgive your ETF - just like how TV co's can drop channels at anytime with no obligation of lowering your bill or letting you cancel your contract with no etf.

and people will never stop using or paying for their phones at this point. Most would rather sacrifice their TV bills rather than their cell bills. The industry has this country so hooked that people look at you funny if you say "I don't have a cell phone."

Quite possible. I don't feel like researching to find out if that's the case or not. I'm sure if you kick and scream enough after such a drastic change though, they would let you out without paying the ETF. But even if they don't there's options like T-Mobile that will pay your ETF if you switch to them and give them your current phone(s) that is tied to that contract.

Pretty much what I was alluding to with "easier said than done." I do know a couple people without cell phones by choice and they're definitely teased a bit when pointed out. But I'd like to think that if ISPs started implementing very strict data caps while charging as much or more than they do now for unlimited, that I would drop the service outright and live without it. But who knows how feasible that will be for me (and everyone else) when that time comes.

Quite possible. I don't feel like researching to find out if that's the case or not. I'm sure if you kick and scream enough after such a drastic change though, they would let you out without paying the ETF. But even if they don't there's options like T-Mobile that will pay your ETF if you switch to them and give them your current phone(s) that is tied to that contract.

Pretty much what I was alluding to with "easier said than done." I do know a couple people without cell phones by choice and they're definitely teased a bit when pointed out. But I'd like to think that if ISPs started implementing very strict data caps while charging as much or more than they do now for unlimited, that I would drop the service outright and live without it. But who knows how feasible that will be for me (and everyone else) when that time comes.

No not really.

If your carrier makes a meaningful change to your contract (like killing unlimited data, or changing how billing is done).... In legalese called a "material change". You get an ETF free out, for 30 days after the change. The telecom MUST also notify you in writing of the material change and when it was introduced.

All they have to do is drop the option to keep your grandfathered plan at the next upgrade cycle.

You can already do this but its very expensive and cost more than your 2GB cap

All they have to do is drop the option to keep your grandfathered plan at the next upgrade cycle.

Yep. This is why I gave up caring about unlimited data. I knew it was a goner and it would only be a matter of time or it would cost so much it wasn't worth it.

All those Verizon users who think they can keep that unlimited LTE forever is deluding themselves. If they aren't on a contract then Verizon can kill unlimited anytime they want and the user can't say shit about it.

Do people really think Verizon gives a shit about the small percentage out there who will be vocal about them doing something like that? Survey says: Nope, Verizon could care less. They're just waiting for a little while longer to ensure there are no more contracts with unlimited data and that many of the unlimited data off-contract users upgrade and move to a Share Everything Plan. Then heads will roll. I give it 18-24 months. By then all unlimited plans should be off contract.

I'll ride out my truly unlimited Verizon LTE data as long as I possibly can, until they take it away from me, kicking and screaming. :p

CEO of Softbank said in an interview that he will fix Sprint's 4G if he gets TMo and launch a massive price war against the duopoly... Judging by his track record in Japan, I'll take his word for it. But he seriously needs to come here and fire Dan Hesse and their advertising team. Wanna get things done? Do it yourself...

On another related note, US Cellular is about to raise data limit. So it can happen!

I also have unlimited data from AT&T but I got an email saying that they were going to throttle my speed if I went over 5GB. WTF man, I've been paying $30/mo for unlimited data and then I'm told that while I won't be CUT OFF at 5GB, I'll probably be throttled to 1kb/s.

I also have unlimited data from AT&T but I got an email saying that they were going to throttle my speed if I went over 5GB. WTF man, I've been paying $30/mo for unlimited data and then I'm told that while I won't be CUT OFF at 5GB, I'll probably be throttled to 1kb/s.

You didn't read the fine print. They never said you get unlimited high speed data. They said you get unlimited data. So you get to blow through 5GB of data and then suffer EDGE speeds till the next billing cycle as no extra cost.

That's at least better than Verizon. Blow through your data and pay more money for another 1GB of data.

Yep. This is why I gave up caring about unlimited data. I knew it was a goner and it would only be a matter of time or it would cost so much it wasn't worth it.

All those Verizon users who think they can keep that unlimited LTE forever is deluding themselves. If they aren't on a contract then Verizon can kill unlimited anytime they want and the user can't say shit about it.

Do people really think Verizon gives a shit about the small percentage out there who will be vocal about them doing something like that? Survey says: Nope, Verizon could care less. They're just waiting for a little while longer to ensure there are no more contracts with unlimited data and that many of the unlimited data off-contract users upgrade and move to a Share Everything Plan. Then heads will roll. I give it 18-24 months. By then all unlimited plans should be off contract.

As I said above though; you can still renew your contract with unlimited data if you transfer your upgrade to another line. Which is what I did last year and am good until Sept. 2015 unless Verizon wants to break my contract, giving me a free out.

As I said above though; you can still renew your contract with unlimited data if you transfer your upgrade to another line. Which is what I did last year and am good until Sept. 2015 unless Verizon wants to break my contract, giving me a free out.

And will you be able to do that again in 2015? Doubtful. It's only a matter of time. Just one more reason I'm glad I kicked Verizon to the curb and moved to T-Mobile.

I dont think it works that way, if you transfer the upgrade to a different line then that line would take on the contract, wouldnt it? Your unlimited line would still continue to be month to month. Unless you somehow found a loophole that im not aware of

And will you be able to do that again in 2015? Doubtful. It's only a matter of time. Just one more reason I'm glad I kicked Verizon to the curb and moved to T-Mobile.

Agreed, i love T-mobile and i get better data speed then i did with Verizon. I use to get 35Mb down when LTE phones just started coming out. A few months ago i was getting 12-15mb down. Verizon LTE is to overloaded right now and i luckily was able to sell my unlimited line for $275 :) Im in Houston btw

Agreed, i love T-mobile and i get better data speed then i did with Verizon. I use to get 35Mb down when LTE phones just started coming out. A few months ago i was getting 12-15mb down. Verizon LTE is to overloaded right now and i luckily was able to sell my unlimited line for $275 :) Im in Houston btw

Yep I see far better signal and speeds with T-Mobile. I was down to 1.5mbps on LTE at work with Verizon. I'm over 25mbps with T-Mobile.

I'm not counting on it, but that's 18 months away so I'm not concerned about losing my unlimited data until then. Hopefully T-Mobile's network will be better in my area by then because my friend that just moved from Verizon to T-Mobile only gets Edge at my house and surrounding areas. I'm still pulling 20+ Mb/s on Verizon's LTE everywhere I go in my state too.

I dont think it works that way, if you transfer the upgrade to a different line then that line would take on the contract, wouldnt it? Your unlimited line would still continue to be month to month. Unless you somehow found a loophole that im not aware of

Nope, I thought the same thing when I went to upgrade my wife's phone last year. But after transferring the upgrade and getting her a new phone, the contract end date on my (unlimited data) line was extended by 2 years and hers stayed the same. Her line was actually due for upgrade a couple days ago, so I'm going to steal hers now and upgrade my Note 2 soon (which will extend her contract date, not mine).

I have a 10GB data pool and never get close to using all of it. Unlimited is overrated and very few actually need it.

Most people use less than 500mb of data a month. Have to remember, enthusiasts troll the internet....they are not the general public/trend.

Yes, unlimited data isn't as necessary as I used to think once I switched to Tmobile. Although, I do make a conscious effort to take it easy.
Ultimately, i think mobile data should be unlimited. Companies that provide services to mobile devices will or might have a hard time getting traction. Consumers aren't as readily to utilize streaming services when they're on a limited data plan.

You missed the point. When it comes time to upgrade, they don't have to grandfather your current features to the new contract. They just have to say the feature is no longer available for new contracts and by upgrading you'll be giving it up. You do have the option of riding or buying out your current contract, after which point they are no longer bound to its terms and can just send you a nice sounding letter telling you that you're being bumped to another compatible plan that best matches your usage history effective immediately.

You missed the point. When it comes time to upgrade, they don't have to grandfather your current features to the new contract. They just have to say the feature is no longer available for new contracts and by upgrading you'll be giving it up. You do have the option of riding or buying out your current contract, after which point they are no longer bound to its terms and can just send you a nice sounding letter telling you that you're being bumped to another compatible plan that best matches your usage history effective immediately.

You missed my point; they're still letting you renew your contract with unlimited data without subsidizing a new phone, therefore there are plenty of contracts out there with unlimited data that aren't expiring anytime soon (which is what Vermillion - who I quoted, was talking about) and are still being renewed today. Though not many, I'm sure because Verizon isn't telling anyone that this is an option and letting people figure this out themselves.

Yes, they can close this loophole at any moments notice. I think that goes without saying considering they can change any of their plans and policies about anything on a whim. They can even force you off of a plan in mid-contract if they want, but I'm doubting they'll do that and give the customers an ETF free route off of their network with phones that they're possibly still subsidizing.

I had the AT&T unlimited plan...I would get notices when hitting the 5gb mark, they would just throttle it back. I recently went with the tier'd family plan that saved me plenty. I spend most of my time on wifi so no biggie.

I have a 10GB data pool and never get close to using all of it. Unlimited is overrated and very few actually need it.

Still doesn't justify why almost all US-based carriers done away with unlimited data.

If there are so few users that actually need it, then why should they be the ones punished with speed throttling and extra charges if the rest of the users (majority) never go over their caps/pools?

If cellular data bandwidth and quantity are so finite, then wouldn't the collective use between the majority of lower bandwidth/quantity users (never get close to their caps) plus the small handful of high bandwidth/quantity users (at or above their caps) still come in under the total bandwidth/quantity that is available every month, so there would never be a need for the carrier to throttle anyone's speed or charge anyone extra?

It's a bullshit ploy to suck more money out of each and every customer that they can. Nothing more.

These made-up limits and caps piss me off because I am one of the few that truly need unlimited data on my smartphone for work - I have to download repair manuals and schematics almost daily in order to do my job. And the smaller size of a smartphone over a laptop works better since more often than not I am at a site where there is no way to set-up, plug in, or get a network connection on a laptop.

Most people use less than 500mb of data a month. Have to remember, enthusiasts troll the internet....they are not the general public/trend.

I dinno man I am 9 days into my new cycle and I have used 7.38GB of data + 2.5GB of tethered data...... on T-Mobile, I stream lots of stuff when working night shift...

Just to point out the carriers are in the business to get money, they will hack up prices to increase revenue when they can and that's why they offer services.

The old days of increasing revenue through minute tiered plans weren't producing profit, the next stage is to see where their services are required the most and that's data. Who cares what excuse they give us, this is the nature of the beast and it's here to stay as long as a majority of their users use data over minutes.

You can get mad at them all you want, but they are a business trying to get money. The market is also starting to shift towards budget devices which is why TMO and ATT have both geared the majority of their plans away from subsidizing.

Just to point out the carriers are in the business to get money, they will hack up prices to increase revenue when they can and that's why they offer services.

The old days of increasing revenue through minute tiered plans weren't producing profit, the next stage is to see where their services are required the most and that's data. Who cares what excuse they give us, this is the nature of the beast and it's here to stay as long as a majority of their users use data over minutes.

You can get mad at them all you want, but they are a business trying to get money. The market is also starting to shift towards budget devices which is why TMO and ATT have both geared the majority of their plans away from subsidizing.

Yes they were producing profit. Just "not enough" for those holding the company stock.

These days the only time investors/shareholders are happy with company performance is if their capital is tripled every year. Anything less and your company is "doing badly".

Didn't read the article, but I don't see this affecting prepaid plans. In which case I am perfectly happy with AIO. I get amazing service, great price, and Spring fucking sucked so much that I only now get to experience what true LTE is like or even anything above decent 3G speeds (which I actually never had with Sprint).

you know the other day i was thinking......at&t has this $2 dollars a day go phone plan....right. i get unlimited data, talk and text. since everyday is virtually a new period of a plan i get unlimited data without data stream slowing down. put the account on auto-refill and you have unlimited everything for 60-62 dollars a month.

you know the other day i was thinking......at&t has this $2 dollars a day go phone plan....right. i get unlimited data, talk and text. since everyday is virtually a new period of a plan i get unlimited data without data stream slowing down. put the account on auto-refill and you have unlimited everything for 60-62 dollars a month.

I'm pretty sure the data is not "unlimited". You will likely be throttled after a certain point and/or they may disallow bandwidth heavy tasks like streaming video or audio.

I've never seen pre-paid carriers offer "truly unlimited" data.

Back