Boycott the 2004 SpikeTV Video Game Awards

Torgo

2[H]4U
I know Steve's got great intentions, but I'm encouraging everyone to please turn your televisions to something other than the 2004 VGA award show. Why?

1) Show sponsors (ie commericials on SpikeTV) get heavily favored.
2) Last year the judges weren't affliated with the gaming industry.
3) It's a giant commericial for SpikeTV.
4) No one takes it seriously in the video game industry.
5) It's an insult to gaming.

I can list twelve others, but you get the point. Don't delude yourself that thinking that this award show means anything. Every network needs an awards show for something to bring viewers. Don't be a sheep and get hijacked by this show.

Do the right thing and support the AIAA awards at E3 (the one that matters), the GDC Spotlight awards and the various magazine awards.

For a review of what I thought last year, click here.

I'll buy into that. You can probably expand those statements to cover just about everything else on cable which explains why the premium channels seem to be garnering mucho emmy nominations. It's amazing how much better the programming is when the primary focus is on entertaining the viewers.

Anyway, I'd much rather be playing than watching. :p

Name one worthwhile televised awards show for anything.

The hell with TV anyhow. I only have one to hook my DVD player and consoles to.

I'm still trying to get them to create an award show for my crotch in various phases of the year (spring, summer, fall, etc). I mean why not, its SpikeTV. I'm not watching because last year it was crap. A bunch of posers in my opinion.

Killdozer said:
The Spike TV awards is an abortion.
I think that you mean "abomination", not "abortion".

At least, I hope that's what you meant... :confused:

Eidolon said:
I think that you mean "abomination", not "abortion".

At least, I hope that's what you meant... :confused:
No, it IS an abortion.
Suck it up with vacuum, blenderize it, and then toss it in the dumpster.

Well I want to know if what I voted for on their site will win.

All I want is Katamari Damacy winning Best Soundtrack.

EGGO said:
Well I want to know if what I voted for on their site will win.

All I want is Katamari Damacy winning Best Soundtrack.
Best Soundtrack:
Def Jam: Fight for NY Yo! extra bling sauce EsCaLaDe!!!1!

that show was such a waste of time last year... I did what any real gamer would do, I played right through it :D and even put my headphones on so I wouldn't have to listen to it (my roomie wanted to watch it..... :rolleyes: )

Im not gonna watch because i almost bet you any amount of money that Halo 2 will win. Just because it will. I don't even like halo 2 that much but it will win.

Best Animation: Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Tecmo)
Best Performance By A Human: Ray Liotta in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Rockstar)
Best Game Based on a Movie: Enter the Matrix (Atari)
Most Addictive: Soul Calibur II (Namco)
Best Action Game: True Crime: Streets of LA (Activision)
Pontiac/GTO Driving Award: Nascar Thunder 2004 (EA Sports)
Best Fantasy Game: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (LucasArts)
Best Sports Game: Tony Hawk's Underground (Activision)
Best Fighting Game: WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain (THQ)
Most Anticipated Game: Halo 2 (Microsoft)
Best Handheld Game: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Ubi Soft)
Best Online Game: Final Fantasy XI (Square Enix)
Best 1st Person Action: Call of Duty (Activision)
Best PC Game: Halo: Combat Evolved (Microsoft)
Game of the Year: Madden NFL 2004 (EA Sports)
Best Music: Def Jam Vendetta (EA Big)

Is it just me, or are nearly all of the winners that I played some of the worst games that I have ever tried? GTA:VC had pretty bad voice acting, it all sounded really cheesy, Enter the matrix was the worst gamethat I have ever let touch my gamecube, True Crime:Streets of L.A. was a horrible attempt at trying to give a better fighting system to GTA, Splinter Cell just doesn't work for a handheld system, I dont care what anybody says, Halo was kind of ok for the x-box, but best PC game? UT2003 is so much further up on my list that it isnt even funny.

And also, how can the Halo be the best PC Game if Call of Duty was the best first person shooter?

Enrickey said:
Is it just me, or are nearly all of the winners that I played some of the worst games that I have ever tried? GTA:VC had pretty bad voice acting, it all sounded really cheesy, Enter the matrix was the worst gamethat I have ever let touch my gamecube, True Crime:Streets of L.A. was a horrible attempt at trying to give a better fighting system to GTA, Splinter Cell just doesn't work for a handheld system, I dont care what anybody says, Halo was kind of ok for the x-box, but best PC game? UT2003 is so much further up on my list that it isnt even funny.

And also, how can the Halo be the best PC Game if Call of Duty was the best first person shooter?
Quoted for truth.

Yea, I watched it last year and it truly was horrifying.

The only one i agreed with last year was call of duty winning best first person action, but if that took into account online game, then UT2k3>>>>>CoD as far as intensity goes.

Last year i also saw a woman wearing a shirt that read "I will kick your ass in Halo".....that made me chuckle. I bet she doesn't even know who Master Chief is :p

The only way that it can get worse this year is if halo2 wins best graphics. Think about how horrifying that would be. :eek: :(

EDIT: The lack of the title Metroid Prime on last year's awards and the lack of Metroid Prime2 on this year's awards makes me want to cry, they need a "best atmosphere in a game" award, GG Metroid Prime2.

Enter the Matrix won best game based on a movie, and not Chronicles of Riddick? Regardless of whether you liked the execution of the game (which is debatable) the game was fucking loaded with glitches.

And Vice City won an award? WTF, what year are we looking at, exactly?

Yep, it's a moronic show, and i'm not going to be watching (only watched like 20mins of last year's before turning it off).

finalgt said:
Enter the Matrix won best game based on a movie, and not Chronicles of Riddick? Regardless of whether you liked the execution of the game (which is debatable) the game was fucking loaded with glitches.

And Vice City won an award? WTF, what year are we looking at, exactly?

i don't believe the game was out then. But still, enter the matrix was a terrible game. I might die laughing if Halo 2 wins the 'best graphics award'... cause then they'll show a cutscene, and the whole world will watch how badly the textures get bump mapped in the cinema sequences.

Spike TV's Video Game Awards is total crap. I'll join the boycott. Hell someone whould make a petetion to get rid of it.

Halo won best PC game last year?!?!?!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. A buggy, system hog, conosle port of a year-old xbox game with repetitive level design and low-res textures..... wow....

colin said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. A buggy, system hog, conosle port of a year-old xbox game with repetitive level design and low-res textures..... wow....
My thoughts exactly.

colin said:

...port of a 2 year old XBox game...
The game wasn't that bad, and had I not already played it a ton on the XBox I probably would have played and enjoyed the entire game on the PC.
Graphics wise, it is comparable to most PC games released around the same time. Hell, Doom 3 has plenty of low-res textures, lots of repetitive levels, and I got bored of it before the end, but im sure it will win awards all over the place.
COD should have been the winner though.

SpikeTV VGA is going to be just as lame as G-phoria was.......all shite if you ask me!

-Rikus

damn right I'm not going to watch this shithole program, never did last year for the same reasons... Eat shit Spike TV video game awards.

Yeah fuck it. It was lame. Call of Duty should have gotten game of the year hands down. I watched the first 30 min and turned it off. Halo 2 will prolly get a lot of shit. GOTY, Best Online game, Best Xbox game, Best Shooter, Best Spamfest, Best Shite talking 12 yr old Community....the list goes on.

I won't watch it because I boycott Spike TV in general, and I don't like all my games to be hipped up and have actors recount their days of playing Grand Theft Auto 3 years ago, saying "Those were the good old days"

twyztyr said:
Name one worthwhile televised awards show for anything.

The hell with TV anyhow. I only have one to hook my DVD player and consoles to.

THE OLYMPICS BABY!!

here's my rendition of what i saw of the spiketv video game awards:

(7:40:31)*come back from commercial
(7:40:32)"and the winner of most anticipated game!: Halo2!"
(7:40:35)"now let's kick it over to wrestling!!
(7:59:34)"wow great wrestling match! we'll be right back with best action game!"

repeat ad naseum.

Back