Bought Z77A-G43 board/cpu combo, cpu good but board dont post

buschman31

2[H]4U
I bought an MSI Z77A-G43 with an i7-2600. After trying to different psu's the board still wont post. Both psu's, OCZ 500 and Thermaltake 450 are deemed working via the paperclip test. I tested the cpu in another and its good.

Any suggestions as what I can check to see what is causing the board not to post? The forum seller did state that the board/cpu were untested but is willing to give a partial refund. But he also said that buying the untested parts, that responsibility fall on the buyer.

Paperclip in the Minifit Jr. connector is not a valid PSU test, it just tells you the PSU works well enough to be forced on. Ideally, you'd have a multimeter and oscilloscope to test the voltage and ripple on the power rails.

Both of those power supplies sound ancient. OCZ went bankrupt a decade ago and the Thermaltake 450 sounds equally as old.

I would suggest trying a known good power supply, not old mystery meat.

Also on a motherboard that old, I'd be hosing down the RAM and expansion slots with deoxit gold or another contact cleaner. Old oxidized connector pins can cause a motherboard to not boot properly. A POST card would also be helpful to see how far in the boot process the board gets.

I mean, there's a lot here to test. How do you know the CPU is good? Are you booting with a GPU? What about the RAM? Any beep codes?

Back