Bought the Samsung 245BW... thinking about the LG L246WP-BN!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneson2k

n00b
I picked up a Samsung 245BW yesterday at Best Buy and have spent most of today fiddling with it between work and gaming.

I really like the sheer size of the screen (I had a Samsung 204b previously), but I'm not a big fan of the rather excessive backlight bleeding on the bottom edge of the display. It creeps up about 1/3 up the screen from the bottom! Color was pretty sad out of the box, but I got it acceptably dialed-in.

I looked at the LG L246WP-BN and almost spent the extra $80 and now I'm wondering if I should have?

My biggest problem with the 245BW is the backlight bleeding and the lack of smooth gray detail.

Can any owners of the L246WP-BN shed some thoughts/comparisons? Thanks!

I've had both and thought the L246WP was horrible. FPS gaming is almost not even doable at all on it. The 245bw games with the best of what exists in the LCD market. Can't think of anything else I would try besides 245bw or planar 26inch IPS for large screen gaming.

Did you try my settings, dunno if it will work perfect for your monitor or not but my monitor looks perfect

41R 40G 46B in osd
43brightness 76contrast in osd

Mode1gamma in osd
57%gamma in nvidia control panel

The 246WP is a fine display. I have no problems gaming on it, and I am young with great eyes if you must know. Quality wise this monitor is ahead of the Sammy and Dell IMO. But of course this is my OPINION. I say try it out for yourself.

It should be noted that only Roach has considered the LG to be horrible.

it then should be also noted that the LG might be the best all around and definitely the best 24" gaming monitor out.

strange.

It should be noted that only Roach has considered the LG to be horrible.

it then should be also noted that the LG might be the best all around and definitely the best 24" gaming monitor out.

strange.

It should be noted that out of all the posts on the entire L246 thread that only me and 2 other people noticed it had blurry text/picture so one can only conclude that all 3 of us are either imagining things (not likely) or that most of the people on this forum are idiot mindless consumers.

Put your head a foot away from the 245bw and look at the screen, even though it's same .27 pixel dot pitch as LG you can see individual pixels because the screen is sharp, now try the same with the LG, it's all a blur of crap that bleeds together with no pixel separation.

Since you're obviously blind for not noticing it I'm sure the blurry picture won't bother you though.

Yea it's great for gaming, pixel response lag looks about the same as a 16ms IPS display, real great freakin noobs.

I read most of the LG thread (cut me some slack, it's really big).

The biggest problem I have with the Samsung is the horizontal viewing angle. The top 1/3 of the display is clearly darker than the rest of the panel when viewing it dead-on.

I find it to be pretty good otherwise. Text is sharp. Color is respectable. Contrast is a little hot for my tastes. It looks great when gaming and good when doing .html/email/web surfing.

My hope with going to the LG was a better viewing angle, while retaining what I like about the Samsung.

I'll probably head to Best Buy today and pick up the LG and do a side by side with the Sammy and return which one I don't like better.

It should be noted that out of all the posts on the entire L246 thread that only me and 2 other people noticed it had blurry text/picture so one can only conclude that all 3 of us are either imagining things (not likely) or that most of the people on this forum are idiot mindless consumers.

Put your head a foot away from the 245bw and look at the screen, even though it's same .27 pixel dot pitch as LG you can see individual pixels because the screen is sharp, now try the same with the LG, it's all a blur of crap that bleeds together with no pixel separation.

Since you're obviously blind for not noticing it I'm sure the blurry picture won't bother you though.

Yea it's great for gaming, pixel response lag looks about the same as a 16ms IPS display, real great freakin noobs.

well, reason I said this is because:

a 2 page post is read more by new commers than a 1929292 page one.... they might think that it is a bad panel, which it is not. I am all about clarity. I dont care about any other issue. I am going to be trying the LG 24" out this week. I will give me opinions.

well, reason I said this is because:

a 2 page post is read more by new commers than a 1929292 page one.... they might think that it is a bad panel, which it is not. I am all about clarity. I dont care about any other issue. I am going to be trying the LG 24" out this week. I will give me opinions.

Why are you talking about the monitor saying it's good if you have never used one, this is ridiculous Mr. Mossad Agent

doing a test of the emergency scientific process service....

beeeeeeeeep....

it wouldnt matter if i had it or didnt have it. 2 vs 80 say it is clear and sharp, notably so. even if i said I have proof that is blury, it would not be according to math/statistics.

i have personally used the gateway, westinghouse, sammy, and lg 24 in screens and i think the lg is far and away the best of the bunch. bestbuy probably doesn't care much for me now, tho. anyway, the lg has the best clarity, viewing angles, and color in my opinion. when using the gateway and sammy screens, i would get pretty severe headaches, which is a rarity for me. the westinghouse was ok but not near as clear and crisp as the lg. at least i didn't ge theadaches when using it. the lg is a fabulous screen. i may actually get a second one in october as a birthday present to myself. :)

doing a test of the emergency scientific process service....

beeeeeeeeep....

it wouldnt matter if i had it or didnt have it. 2 vs 80 say it is clear and sharp, notably so. even if i said I have proof that is blury, it would not be according to math/statistics.

Oh yea thats real scientific when the majority of the people have no technical knowledge and have owned like 0-1 LCD's before that, some are even 50 years old with 90/4000 vision. Most also claim to not notice any input lag which is also laughable or the ever famous "no ghosting" claim.

HAHA an 8ms MVA Panel that doesn't ghost LOL

Lets also totally ignore the fact that a lot of people who work at or hold interests in these companies post here.

i hold no interest in any of those companies. i will be 50 in october, though. does that mean my opinion of which monitor is preferable is less valuable than yours? i fail to see what age has to do with anything regarding the choice of a good monitor.

The LG is far superior in every regard except response time, though the LG is by no means slow.

The Samsung is a low-end TN LCD that is not in the same league as the LG.

lol guys dont listen to roach anymore. he just hates VA panels because he cannot afford one. relegated to TN limbo. so sad.

I dont know anything about the LG panel but what I do know is that I have a 19 inch MVA panel now and it works great. I've been shopping around now for about a month for a good 21, 22 or 24 inch widescreen LCD mainly for gaming. I tried the samsung 245BW, the verticle viewing angle was unacceptable for me, I totally lost the top 4 or 5 inches of screen because it would turn dark, mind you this is with the screen at eye level 2 feet away, dead center. other than that the standard loss of colors going from MVA to TN was an acceptable trade off but the viewing angle was a deal breaker. side viewing angles were great oddly enough... go figure.

after I tried that, I tried the 226cw, same issue but just a hair better as far as the vertical viewing angle and better and supposed less ghosing (didnt notice it). the viewing angle was bad enough for me to return it also.

whatever your decision, good luck with your monitor, hope this helps :)

245BW, the verticle viewing angle was unacceptable for me, I totally lost the top 4 or 5 inches of screen because it would turn dark, mind you this is with the screen at eye level 2 feet away, dead center.

Yep, typical of TN panels, especially larger ones like this 24." Many 15" and smaller TN laptop displays are usable because (1) people shouldn't expect much from a laptop LCD (2) the sizes are small enough that viewing angles are less of an issue (3) most people don't seriously game or play HD films on a laptop LCD.

The average viewing angle of a TN LCD is probably MINUS 60 Degrees, not the advertised 140 ;)

What the OP is describing is not "backlight bleeding," but really atrocious viewing angles.

Backlight bleeding exists on all LCDs, even on IPS backlights, and are independent of the actual type of panel.

Returned the Samsung to Best Buy today after work and picked up the LG.

Bottom line...

I couldn't be happier! Wish I would have just bought the LG to begin with. Not that Samsung doesn't make a quality product, just the viewing angle (or lack thereof) was too distracting for me.

I'm more than willing to live with a little ghosting and lack of response time for superior color, viewing angle and overall performance.

Just my $0.02.

Returned the Samsung to Best Buy today after work and picked up the LG.

Bottom line...

I couldn't be happier! Wish I would have just bought the LG to begin with. Not that Samsung doesn't make a quality product, just the viewing angle (or lack thereof) was too distracting for me.

I'm more than willing to live with a little ghosting and lack of response time for superior color, viewing angle and overall performance.

Just my $0.02.

LOL That is exactly what was going through my head when I got the LG, too bad about 2 days later is when all it's problems and blurry text/picture and laggy pixel response/input lag started driving me insane.

Lets also totally ignore the fact that a lot of people who work at or hold interests in these companies post here.

Roach the warrior is the type of person that watched the "loose change" 9-11 documentary then started every conversation with some stupid conspiracy crap and annoys everyone he meets in life.

The LG display is great. I've never even considered going LCD before I saw this on.

I was actually looking at the BenQ 24" originally but the customer support was what broke the deal for me, with the black out stories and what not, i would be ok with a replacement if it crapped out but I heard the customer support from BenQ was like trying to talk to a kid off the short bus. So here I am looking at getting the LG, since it's in a brick and morar shop it makes it a little more convenient also, and the response times as well as low input lag make it Ideal for gaming. as far as the samsung, what good does it do to have a TN panel for gaming when you cant see the top 4 to 5 inches of the screen because the viewing angle is so bad?

Roach, number one I dont know how a moderator hasnt banned you yet, as disrespectful as you are to the rest of the community. you are the most vocal, misinformed and inappropriate member here. Your posts have done nothing for me other than misguide me as to what a good monitor would have been, I feel sorry for anyone who listens to your inaccurate rhetoric banter. I think we all lose a few I.Q. points when we read his idiotic posts, by all means, flush and forget his idiotic comments if you plan on making an intelligent, well informed decision.

In R0ach's "defense" (and I use that term EXTREMELY LOOSLY), i will agree that in general text is not as sharp as the Samsung. It's by NO means blurry, or unsharp, just not as razor sharp. The Sammy also has a sharpness setting that can be manipulated, where the LG does not. I find myself wanting to add just a pinch (and I mean a pinch) of sharpness to the text. BTW, I run with NO font smoothing at all.

I played some Far Cry and Battlefield 2142 at 1920x1200 last night and neither seemed THAT different from the Samsung as far as performance.

Also, I did some Photoshop work earlier and had no problem with blurry images.

I just picked up the LG and all I can say is wow, this is what I was looking for, sharp picture, awesome viewing angle, just watched star wars for giggles and grins and ran medieval total war2 at over 60 frames the whole time (ocd the 8800 through the cards bios :) ) over all its what I was looking for minus the bs and troublesome black outs I was dreading with the BenQ. I do have one small note to add though, the input cable is a DVI to HDMI since the input is HDMI, so dont freak out, I wasnt sure if I needed a after market cable when I was buying it but the guy at best buy finally decided to open the box and there was the cable included in the box.

as for the sharpness of the text, it looks fine to me however I went into my video card settings (8800gtx) and turned up the sharpness of the over all picture. I personally think that sharpened what I thought was already a very sharp picture. If the BenQ wasnt such a crap shoot with the black out thing on top of incompetent customer support I would have got it, that being said, I would highly recommend the LG.

Just a side note, I was too busy being a brand name snob and must have walked by the LG at least a dozen times and actually scoffing at the best buy employee when he suggested it the first time I went in to pick up the samsung 245bw.

To put it bluntly, the LG beats the piss out of the samsung and takes it's milk money too.

Well shit, I wish there was reliable info on this screen before I picked up the 245bw. When I bought it, the 245bw was at $509 (weekend sale), while the LG was at $650 (which was above my budget. I'm still happy with the Samsung - the color depth is far superior to my older 205bw.

I have a question for mobbmann, do you use photoshop at all? Or for that matter does anyone here to either photoshop or maya work on the LG 245/246? I'm think, after much searching on these and other forums, of getting it and all I want to know is if the colours hold up. Any input would be much appreciated.

In R0ach's "defense" (and I use that term EXTREMELY LOOSLY), i will agree that in general text is not as sharp as the Samsung.

That just proves my point how ridiculous most the people on this forum are, you get like 100 people buying this L246WP monitor and only four or so out of all those people notice the text isn't sharp at all like an LCD is supposed to be. It isn't just the text it's the entire image.

"I have a question for mobbmann, do you use photoshop at all? Or for that matter does anyone here to either photoshop or maya work on the LG 245/246? I'm think, after much searching on these and other forums, of getting it and all I want to know is if the colours hold up. Any input would be much appreciated."

I have and you can't use it for photoshop without moving your head and looking at it from an angle because looking at it straight on gives the black crush effect. Even if you do that theres no telling what the product on your screen will look like when it's viewed from a CRT or IPS or TN panel. If for some reason you don't work with any dark colors at all I guess you would be ok o_O

That just proves my point how ridiculous most the people on this forum are, you get like 100 people buying this L246WP monitor and only four or so out of all those people notice the text isn't sharp at all like an LCD is supposed to be. It isn't just the text it's the entire image.
The poster you've quoted then goes to say "It's by NO means blurry, or unsharp, just not as razor sharp," which echoes many of our opinions. You seem to think sharpness comes in two flavors, "sharp" and "blurry", when there's obviously a continuum between them, and the acceptable level of sharpness is going to be different for different people. I fail to see why you assume that everyone on these forums is stupid or blind because they disagree with your opinion that this monitor is too blurry to be useful. This monitor is far sharper than the CRTs I used to use, and I've used them for years, so why should this LCD not be sufficient for my needs?

I work on this monitor for several hours a day and I've never had a problem reading small text, so I don't consider the sharpness to be an issue. This doesn't mean that I believe that this is the sharpest monitor in the universe -- if sharpness is the only concern, then the 245BW might be a better choice. But, having seen the 245BW in person, I'd still choose the LG because the gain in sharpness I might get by switching doesn't outweigh the obvious drop in viewing angles and subsequent brightness shifts that I saw when I looked at the Samsung.

A professional review of the Samsung TN: http://www.behardware.com/articles/677-1/the-samsung-245b-the-1st-tn-24-tn-vs-24-pva-mva.html

inferior in every area that matters. The reviewers recommend the 245b only for those on a tight budget upgrading from a 22" TN.

Now that the LG is only $600-650 CDN, there's no reason to get the Samsung.

lolz did you even read the review, that is the worst review I've ever seen behardware do, all they did was measure what the uncalibrated color was for 5 different monitors then it just ends. No testing pixel response, input lag, post calibration color, contrast or anything. You know you're horribly biased if you're going to say that the 245bw is no good from reading that because they didn't even test anything.

I'm sure if they did a real test and posted some input lag numbers of 35ms for those PVA panels and such that the 245bw would probably be at the top.

Roach could you suggest any reviews to look at for either the 245bw or the L246WP?

A professional review of the Samsung TN: http://www.behardware.com/articles/677-1/the-samsung-245b-the-1st-tn-24-tn-vs-24-pva-mva.html

inferior in every area that matters. The reviewers recommend the 245b only for those on a tight budget upgrading from a 22" TN.

Now that the LG is only $600-650 CDN, there's no reason to get the Samsung.

The LG is the choice spec-wise (if i did it over again, I would've gone this route.) However, that review was not the "slam dunk" of insults to the 245bw's effectiveness. The viewing angles do put this monitor at the bottom of the pile of 24-inchers, though.

Here's my take from owning both:

Samsung 245bw:

+ Excellent text sharpness
+ Excellent response time
+ Excellent input lag
+ Reasonably priced
+/- Good color reproduction
- Poor viewing angle
- Less input options

LG 246wp:

+ Excellent color reproduction
+ Excellent viewing angle
+ Flexible inputs
+ Landscape/Portriat rotation
+/- Good response time
+/- Good input lag
+/- Shap text
+/- PIP
- Expensive

Overall, I feel the LG is the more balanced display. It lacks the razor sharp text the Samsung does (though, for me, it's still "sharp"), but it has a better overall viewing angle, more flexible input options, better color reproduction and plenty fast response and input lag times (for everyone except maybe die-hard or professional gamers).

lolz did you even read the review, that is the worst review I've ever seen behardware do, all they did was measure what the uncalibrated color was for 5 different monitors then it just ends. No testing pixel response, input lag, post calibration color, contrast or anything. You know you're horribly biased if you're going to say that the 245bw is no good from reading that because they didn't even test anything.

I'm sure if they did a real test and posted some input lag numbers of 35ms for those PVA panels and such that the 245bw would probably be at the top.

I think what you fail to realize is hardware review websites are paid for their ratings, just like gaming sites. Look at gamespot and STALKER. The game wasn't very good and had a tremendous amount of bugs and problems, even on top end machines, and it got an 8.6, of course their reviewer also uses Macs.

Anyway, every thread you go into you troll and have the same argument that if anyone doesn't make the choices you do basically they are stupid... and 35ms input lag?.. I'm glad you've personally tested all those monitors and that they have 35ms.. it sounds like someone is justifying their own purpose, which is fine. Just don't let your justifications cloud someone else's choices for what they can afford/want. If the input lag was so horrible on PVA panels, not very many people here would backup the 24" Dells and BenQs.. And these people are quite knowledgeable on PVA/S-IPS/TN. Personally if I'm going to drop close to 500 on a 24" TN panel, Id rather spend 100 more and ensure myself that the gateway to all the media I view and the games I play is top notch.

People complained about input lag on S-IPS panels back when they were first out. Now people are complaining about PVA panels and screaming how they want S-IPS panels.

If in real life its noticeable thats fine, return it and get something that doesn't bother you. But don't go by numbers that companies use for a marketing campaign, thats ignorant. (perfect example is response time monitors/tv's, mega pixels in cameras, horsepower in a car, gigabytes on a hard disk.) It's all manipulated to make you think that you are getting a much better product. Response time does not mean a whole lot if it is using a different measure than by which the monitors you have used to be useful in comparison. Doubling of mega pixels only actually increases resolution 40%. 330 Horsepower car doesn't mean much when it weighs 4000lbs. 1000mb to 1024mb differential in hard drive advertising anyone?

You get the point I'm sure.

actually my girlfreind is a photographer and she thinks the picture is great, she has to make a few more adjustments for color with some equipment, but the sharpness is there, trust me I'm very picky with this and this isnt my first LCD. I dont know if some people dont have their settings set up correctly or maybe this is another luck of the draw thing, but I do know the text quality is a non issue here and this monitor is great for mulitple roles, primary being gaming and photo editing at home, any more questions roach? Btw, how in the hell can you honestly recommend a TN panel, even for gaming, its like comparing a yugo to a honda.

mobbman, no one on here has criticized the LG's for lack of sharpness. The only person making these claims is a single troll. Enjoy the monitor. ;)

and 35ms input lag?.. I'm glad you've personally tested all those monitors and that they have 35ms.. it sounds like someone is justifying their own purpose, which is fine. Just don't let your justifications cloud someone else's choices for what they can afford/want. If the input lag was so horrible on PVA panels, not very many people here would backup the 24" Dells and BenQs..

It is as common knowledge as the earth is round that all these 24inch PVA panels have 30-40ms input lag and most MVA have the same. Most people that game and actually score above a 1:1 kill to death ratio will not touch a monitor like that.

mobbman, no one on here has criticized the LG's for lack of sharpness. The only person making these claims is a single troll. Enjoy the monitor. ;)

Nice job making up lies applebook. There was even another person in the thread that said the text isn't sharp and about 3 more in the official L246WP thread.

"Originally Posted by oneson2k View Post
In R0ach's "defense" (and I use that term EXTREMELY LOOSLY), i will agree that in general text is not as sharp as the Samsung."

Even if you had down syndrome this is something you would notice so you guys must be all screwed up.

Just look at the guys name, you would have to be out of your mind to take computer advice from someone who buys apple pc's, especially the notebooks which cost 5x more than a generic windoze model thats equally as powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back