Bought the Rift from Bestbuy thinking about a vr laptop

Skylake and Kaby Lake have been the darlings of the enthusiast community for years; I don't think I'd worry about that issue all that much. If there's no patch for the hyperthreading issue yet, I suspect it will be patched eventually. The big issue I'd have is that you really want more graphics card than that. I use a water cooled and overclocked GTX 1080 with my Rift, and it's "enough."

Also, you need a non "Optimus" laptop to get the Rift to work. Optimus is this technology that makes it able to switch between the iGPU and dedicated GPU for power savings, but my experience is that it just flat doesn't work with the Rift. The HDMI port is wired up to the iGPU, which means that the Rift headset is never detected by the software.

The reviewers say this machine has no problem and is VR certified I just want it to have portable VR when I travel I have a I5 6500 w 1070 at home handles rift smoogth as silk....

Are the reviewers testing with a Rift? The Vive may be more tolerant for some reason, but my Rift refuses to work with my Optimus-equipped laptop, which has a 1050Ti. It's been a while since I've tested, so it's possible this issue has been patched, but back in April when I tested, Optimus + Rift seemed to be a pretty hard no-go.

Note that it's not a matter of the 1050Ti just not being fast enough; the Rift software just never detects that the headset is connected at all, and just refuses to do any VRing.

I have the 1070 model of that laptop. It easily handles everything that I can throw at it. The only thing that I dislike is the "gamer" aesthetic, so I might get rid of it for one of the newer 1080s. You can't go wrong, though.

Back