Bought OCZ EL PC3200 Platinum Revision 2, VERY UNHAPPY! Won't OC for BEANS!!!

I'm not going to mod my motherboard. I'm sure if I did I could push the RAM farther, but I've dabbled with softmodding and using hacked BIOSes before, and I don't have the money or time right now in case something goes wrong. I need a stable, working system until the end of the month, then I might look into it.

My mistake was not saying sooner that I wasn't interested in doing that, that's why you've said it 4 times. I've read it 4 times, and dismissed it 4 times... for now. I didn't buy my current setup with the expectation or idea that I might have to mod it.

Also, it seems that almost no matter what I do, except run the RAM at 200 2-2-2-5, Prime 95 gets an error in less than a minute. Even at 215. I don't think that modding anything will really help as much as you're thinking it might, maybe I'll be able to push it farther, but I'd be very surprised if it would be more stable.

I'm probably going to just stick with what I've got, and push the RAM on my next system.

When I say it's not good for an AXP system, I mean a stock system. Most consumers aren't going to start modding their stuff to get results out of this RAM. I wouldn't recommend something if it had strings attached.

Again, I appreciate all those who've helped me. I don't want this forum to turn into an argument. We all have our own opinions, lets leave it at that.

Thank you.

lllsynthtaxlll

Have you tried lowering the multiplier on your CPU to see if you get more stable results at 215MHz and above? I don't understand how you aren't sure if the CPU isn't what's holding you back.

lllsynthtaxlll said:
When I say it's not good for an AXP system, I mean a stock system. Most consumers aren't going to start modding their stuff to get results out of this RAM. I wouldn't recommend something if it had strings attached.

then those consumers shouldnt be ocing should they :p IMo thats the problem thse days, overclocking has become too mainstream. People expect getting stuff without working for it or risking anything. Then when they fuck something up they post on forums and badmouth companies. I am not talking about you as you seem to have some experiance in overclocking, im talking about new computer want to be 1337 hardware h4x0rzzzzz :p Rant finished :D

Even if you don't want to, I encourage others that got an NF7-S and this RAM(like myself), get a modded BIOS. Tictac is good, There is a guy on the Abit forums called Merlin that is up-and-coming I guess, and a few others(I've heard of Taft). I could NOT get past 215FSB at any timings and the highest voltage. Then, I decided "what the heck" and downloaded Tictac's D26 Manta Ray XT CPC On BIOS. I am now able to get it to work past 215FSB and at lower timings(I could never get 2-2-2-5 before now). I have only tested this BIOS, but with these results, I will be trying a few others as well. I've heard I should be using the CPC Off version though, as CPC On is for 2x256 or 2x512. Anyways, there's my 2 cents.

sabrewolf732 said:
then those consumers shouldnt be ocing should they :p IMo thats the problem thse days, overclocking has become too mainstream. People expect getting stuff without working for it or risking anything. Then when they fuck something up they post on forums and badmouth companies. I am not talking about you as you seem to have some experiance in overclocking, im talking about new computer want to be 1337 hardware h4x0rzzzzz :p Rant finished :D
QFMFT

eViL_M@LuM said:
what the fuck does that mean
Quoted for Mother-F'ing Truth ;)

RAM incompatibilities can be pretty sketchy. I can't even get to POST with a 9x multiplier with my PC3200 stick of KVR, and it won't even do 201MHz even with lax timings and raised voltage. My PC2700 stick of KVR (with Samsung TCB3 chips) runs up to 205MHz at 2.5-3-3-11 at 2.6V. Such is life.

Such is life.

It's true. You live, you learn. The only reason I got so upset was because of the extra money spent, as a student, it's worth more than gold to me. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I've decided I'll dabble with modded BIOSes after exams are done. I'll be posting in the appropriate forum to get some people's input on that when I'm ready.

Thanks again.

lllsynthtaxlll

lllsynthtaxlll said:
Such is life.

It's true. You live, you learn. The only reason I got so upset was because of the extra money spent, as a student, it's worth more than gold to me. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I've decided I'll dabble with modded BIOSes after exams are done. I'll be posting in the appropriate forum to get some people's input on that when I'm ready.

Thanks again.

lllsynthtaxlll

I would consider getting a extra bios,

There's a tool, which lets you backup your BIOS onto another ROM chip, I beleive FrozenCPU sells them... oh, yes here.

Well he shouldn't need that...
There is a thing you can download from Abit called "Flashmenu" which lets you flash your BIOS in windows, it's VERY easy and it's what I use. Just remember to clear your CMOS for about a minute before you reboot.

as an experienced NF7-S + OCZ EL plat rev 2 user, i can chime in.

first off, this board does not like high FSB on stock bios. You need to use a modified one.

I can sum up the ones you should use on your TCCD:

Merlin's Taipan D26 .1
Trat's d26_k2r8I
tic tac's MantaRay XT

I have had best luck with Merlins taipan. Your looking at high 240's stable with any of these bios's with 2x512mb dimms.

I have personally been able to do 247 Dual Channel. I have not seen anyone get higher than this in dual channel with 2x512mb sticks of tccd. I believe trat got to this same fsb wall with his PQI TCCD.

its all about chipset limitation. move to a64 and watch your ocz's fly.

lllsynthtaxlll said:
diredesire,
snip
I do take offense to being called uneducated, when my simple mistake was not researching enough the limitations of my system
snip

lol. What would you call uneducated then?

has anyone found a little red dog in here somewhere? :p

i was gonna say something like the problem with this post is in between the chair and monitor but by the sounds of it i think hes reflecting on that by now... :eek:

cheers!

Oh my god.

Are you fucking people done insulting me or what? After seeing what these sticks could do, and hearing how great the NF7-S v2 could overclock, I expected to get a FSB a bit higher than 212 stable (all i can get so far). Excuse me for not doing enough research into it, but there really isn't much out there except for scouring the forums to see people's results. I needed the stuff quick, because I needed to put together the system quick. They said this was amazing RAM, that was enough for me. I'm not happy with the results, and it's because of the chipset, I get that, but I still expected better results. There are others with the NF7-S who were able to get highers FSBs, but it wasn't until now that I've learned that it's with modded BIOSes, so I'm gonna look into that.

Seriously people. I honestly posted here HOPING that I was doing something wrong - read my first post. And many people came on to insult me or attack me, some came on to help me, and I appreciate that. Those of you who posted only to insult/attack me, I ask why? That does not motivate me or others to post when they have problems. And if you're upset about the subject of my thread, understand that I needed a subject that would get peoples attention, that's all.

Tyrant222, thank you. I will be checking that shit out as soon as I start to look into the bioses. I probalby won't bother flashing another chip in case something goes wrong, I'll just use a boot disk and reinstall the ABit BIOS if I can. If I can't, then I'll get a chip from a friend.

Outlaw, as a computer engineering student at what you would call an "Ivy League" university, I consider someone to be uneducated when they lack an education. Look it up in a dictionary. Why would my definition of uneducated be any different than that?

Below Ambient, how many freakin' times during this thread did I admit my own fault? 3 times? 4 times? So what was the point of that last post? It in no way helped me, or answered any of my questions. It was basically pointless, and a cheap jab at myself. Whether or not you have posts on other forums that are of some substance, I am not sure, but thank you for being the last in a long line of people who only posted to insult me and add no assistance.

I love [H]ard|OCP, and always look to these forums for help, but perhaps next time, I'll just ask directly those who seem willing to offer assistance instead of just criticizm. To those, I again say thank you, and I appreciate your help. You are a true credit to these forums.

Thank you.

lllsynthtaxlll

When people started a threat with negative view of something, automaticaly it will attract negative response. So, just relax and take it all with :) Some people agreed with your opinion and some don't. I saw this happened all the time :D

centvalny, yes, but after reading my first post, I would hope they see I was just asking for help. I understand that people need interesting subjects to get attention, and it doesn't offend me if they're post is reasonable.

I of course expected some negativeness, because people will always do that, but not to this extent. I took it with a :) at first, but it never stopped. But I did get lots of help, and I do really apprecaite it.

It's funny, when I put the words: "Please Help" in the subject, I never get any replies, but as soon as I say something negative in the subject, I get lots.

lllsynthtaxlll

lllsynthtaxlll said:
[
It's funny, when I put the words: "Please Help" in the subject, I never get any replies, but as soon as I say something negative in the subject, I get lots.

lllsynthtaxlll

We are all full of hatred and self loathing so only respond to negativity. lol.

I have the same OCZ PC3200 EL ram, same NF7-S 2.0 Mobo, 2600M CPU and yes, I could only hit 213 FSB on that Mobo, wish Id known about those Modded BIOS's. I switched to A64 a month or so ago with the same ram and have hit 234 FSB and still going up. The ram is rock solid so far running at DDR468. It still has room to go and Im taking it slow. If I could have hit 234 on that XPM, damn. Good luck to you.

MikeP, lol. How true.

Anyway, I'm gonna play with the BIOSes and see where it gets me. This summer I'm either gonna upgrade to A64 or start watercooling, if I have a really good summer, I might be able to do both ;), but we'll have to wait and see. Either way, I hope I get a chance to use this RAM in a A64 - hopefully by then, there won't be something way better.

When I do mess with the BIOSes, I'll post my results.

lllsynthtaxlll

WELLLLL OKKKKK

THE VERY FIRST THING ID DO....

1. North bridge cooling.... you need a big ass fan something like a swiftech chipset sink... and use some AS...

2. your psu... you never mentioned what it was and your rails... how high are your rails and how much do they fluctuate under load?

3. I hate the NF7... I hate it yet I love it... the board is so damn fast itll do the same at 225 that a DFI inifnty will do at 260... g ograb a DFI if you want FSB, but it wont do any good... I had great luck betaing both of these boards with an Albatron NF-2 ultra board, but ill bet noone in here will dare say grab one except for me... Ive owned a DFI inifiinty and the thing was wicked fast but the only way to get good FSB out of it is to trun CPC off which kills your performance... not sure if anyone mentioned that....

4. modded bios are ok... i used a Oskar Wu biosd for awhile but the memory settinghs were to aggressive, so i went back to the DFI bios... i found one that worked, an older one... xtremesystems.org is a good place to look but ive found more help at amdmb furoms cause i dont have a R404 chiller in my back pocket...

hmmm what else.... i dunno... im just looking for my dog...

FRICKEN LIGHTEN UP! money comes and goes when youre in school....

lllsynthtaxlll said:
Oh my god.
snip
Seriously people. I honestly posted here HOPING that I was doing something wrong - read my first post. And many people came on to insult me or attack me, some came on to help me, and I appreciate that. Those of you who posted only to insult/attack me, I ask why? That does not motivate me or others to post when they have problems. And if you're upset about the subject of my thread, understand that I needed a subject that would get peoples attention, that's all.

snip
lllsynthtaxlll
Just so you know, my post wasn't meant to be 'insulting'... i was trying to explain to you the stuff that you seemed to not know... i.e. the NF2 chipset limitations, and other factors you might be overlooking... sounds to me like that's exactly the type of post you needed to see... but all you managed to do was over-react at my 'uneducated' comment, which i said wasn't meant as an insult... and if you dont know something, you obviously could use some 'education' in the topic. No one likes being called uneducated, it takes a bigger man to admit there is still lots to learn... especially in computers. Chill out, dude.

syn,

you can use Abits Flashmenu.

quick and easy way to flash the bios. Just make sure your at stock settings when your flashing.

If you want any of the BIOS's i mentioned shoot me a PM and I will be happy to email them to you.

JackieChanIsGOD said:
Personally, i think it's your motherboard holding you back.

I have really good RAM too, and when i attempted the overclock, i reached a 221 MAX (with low timings), even with my multiplier dropped.

If you had the DFI LanParty however, that's a different story. That board does some insane stuff with good RAM.

I may be wrong, but that's my opinion on the NF7-S.

qft. I have the DFI "Infinity" board and two of these OCZ sticks and I really have no problem at all hitting 275@ 3-4-4-8 2.85V.

Lakitu said:
Well he shouldn't need that...
There is a thing you can download from Abit called "Flashmenu" which lets you flash your BIOS in windows, it's VERY easy and it's what I use. Just remember to clear your CMOS for about a minute before you reboot.

Umm you can still @($& your bios even using flashmenu...

Below Ambient said:
WELLLLL OKKKKK

THE VERY FIRST THING ID DO....

1. North bridge cooling.... you need a big ass fan something like a swiftech chipset sink... and use some AS...

2. your psu... you never mentioned what it was and your rails... how high are your rails and how much do they fluctuate under load?

3. I hate the NF7... I hate it yet I love it... the board is so damn fast itll do the same at 225 that a DFI inifnty will do at 260... g ograb a DFI if you want FSB, but it wont do any good... I had great luck betaing both of these boards with an Albatron NF-2 ultra board, but ill bet noone in here will dare say grab one except for me... Ive owned a DFI inifiinty and the thing was wicked fast but the only way to get good FSB out of it is to trun CPC off which kills your performance... not sure if anyone mentioned that....

4. modded bios are ok... i used a Oskar Wu biosd for awhile but the memory settinghs were to aggressive, so i went back to the DFI bios... i found one that worked, an older one... xtremesystems.org is a good place to look but ive found more help at amdmb furoms cause i dont have a R404 chiller in my back pocket...

hmmm what else.... i dunno... im just looking for my dog...

FRICKEN LIGHTEN UP! money comes and goes when youre in school....

OMFG albatron boards own. I had one but I fried it. I want to get another XD.

Below Ambient said:
Ive owned a DFI inifiinty and the thing was wicked fast but the only way to get good FSB out of it is to trun CPC off which kills your performance... not sure if anyone mentioned that....

iirc I remember people hitting 275 np with 2x 256MB sticks. Its just 2x 512Mb when cpc matters IIRC

UPDATE: I'm currently at 235MHz with this RAM on the modded Tictac D26 Manta Ray XT CPC on, and still rising. My timings are 3-2-2-5.

Back