Bought item from seller with 120+ Heat, no contact for a week

billyevans

n00b
Another user on this forum agreed to sell me an item on Tuesday of last week. He claimed that after I sent him the money, he would ship it out on Wednesday. I sent the money and have no heard back from him since. The item has not shipped, and he hasn't had any activity on the forum.

His Paypal checks out with his Heatware account, and he has some crazy high rep. I'm starting to think he's dead.

Do I file a dispute and wait for him to respond? I've already PMd his several times with no answer.

start the dispute and that might get them in the mood to contact you.

Being completely honest, I did file a dispute Friday night, and I just was looking to see if I made the right decision. I've still received no response from the seller.

I would've given him until Monday, if I am nice or the guy has good rep 2 weeks at the most but the guy should've at least said something.

I would've given him until Monday, if I am nice or the guy has good rep 2 weeks at the most but the guy should've at least said something.

That's what I'm thinking. I just hope I'm not being hasty here, but he did give me a shipping deadline.

Have you tried sending him an email with the address associated with his PayPal account (if it is different than his hardforum.com email)?

Have you tried sending him an email with the address associated with his PayPal account (if it is different than his hardforum.com email)?

I didn't think to try that. I e-mailed him to both e-mail accounts associated with his Heatware account: his Paypal email and his personal.

I also have a phone number from him, but since I live in Canada and it appears to be a cell phone number, I'm going to hold off on that because of the long-distance charges that would apply.

billyevans, I got a PM from you because you saw that the seller and I exchanged friendship requests at some point.

I'm afraid I haven't heard from him myself in quite some time, so I can't offer any real help. I'm not a terribly social person, TBH, for a couple of reasons that I won't go into because they don't matter here.

I do hope that he hasn't run into some sort of trouble -- he seems like a really nice dude on the occasions when I have talked with him before. I'll do a forum search, and see if anything interesting shows up (travel plans, mention of problems at home, etc.).

I'll mention that I'm in the US (I forget where he is) and my cell phone has free mobile-to-mobile calls (go AT&T Wireless!) so if you want me to try and give him a buzz I can probably do that. Just PM me his number.

EDIT: seller's last several posts were to his FS thread, which states he's been injured recently in a major way. Probably in the hospital for that, but I can still give him a buzz on his cell phone if you want me to. It'll be a couple hours before I'm comfy doing that, though -- I'm on Eastern time and he's in Mountain time -- meaning that while it's ten past noon for me, it's ten past ten for him. I'd want to call him around 2:00-2:30pm my time at the earliest.

Last edited:
billyevans, I got a PM from you because you saw that the seller and I exchanged friendship requests at some point.

I'm afraid I haven't heard from him myself in quite some time, so I can't offer any real help. I'm not a terribly social person, TBH, for a couple of reasons that I won't go into because they don't matter here.

I do hope that he hasn't run into some sort of trouble -- he seems like a really nice dude on the occasions when I have talked with him before. I'll do a forum search, and see if anything interesting shows up (travel plans, mention of problems at home, etc.).

I'll mention that I'm in the US (I forget where he is) and my cell phone has free mobile-to-mobile calls (go AT&T Wireless!) so if you want me to try and give him a buzz I can probably do that. Just PM me his number.

EDIT: seller's last several posts were to his FS thread, which states he's been injured recently in a major way. Probably in the hospital for that, but I can still give him a buzz on his cell phone if you want me to. It'll be a couple hours before I'm comfy doing that, though -- I'm on Eastern time and he's in Mountain time -- meaning that while it's ten past noon for me, it's ten past ten for him. I'd want to call him around 2:00-2:30pm my time at the earliest.

Oh wow, didn't even realize. I should've read up more. Hopefully he's alright and i have nothing to worry about!

FYI, whatever you do don't stop the dispute. You can only raise one once. If you cancel it he can stiff you and you'll have no recourse. Hopefully everything will work itself out.

Got the number from billyevans, called it.

Line was disconnected. "The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time." I hope it's just that he decided to pay the hospital and not the phone co. ...

Wow, hope everything works out with this, but also hope seller is okay.

Live in Canada, work in Michigan. The seller was shipping to my work.

Back OT.. What should I do if the seller doesn't respond to me by the time the dispute is almost over? As bad as I may feel, I still do need either the item or my money... Should I file a claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Live in Canada, work in Michigan. The seller was shipping to my work.

Back OT.. What should I do if the seller doesn't respond to me by the time the dispute is almost over? As bad as I may feel, I still do need either the item or my money... Should I file a claim?

I would've given a seller with that much feedback a couple of weeks to begin with but at this point you have to go through with it and get your money back. Otherwise you'll flat out be out the cash if you let get past the dispute time frame and he doesn't get back to you.

Though I will say as far as the Heat thing should go, I would want to hear back from him before leaving anything. He could've seriously gotten into a serious accident and just can't get online for something this minor (in comparison).

But yeah, go through with the dispute get money back and then if he gets back to you he should understand and see if you can still get the item you wanted. I do hope it's nothing too too serious though.

I would've given a seller with that much feedback a couple of weeks to begin with but at this point you have to go through with it and get your money back. Otherwise you'll flat out be out the cash if you let get past the dispute time frame and he doesn't get back to you.

Though I will say as far as the Heat thing should go, I would want to hear back from him before leaving anything. He could've seriously gotten into a serious accident and just can't get online for something this minor (in comparison).

But yeah, go through with the dispute get money back and then if he gets back to you he should understand and see if you can still get the item you wanted. I do hope it's nothing too too serious though.

I'm not planning on leaving negative Heat for this. I understand it might just be an issue the seller is dealing with. However, I did need the item in a more or less specific time frame.

I'm not planning on leaving negative Heat for this. I understand it might just be an issue the seller is dealing with. However, I did need the item in a more or less specific time frame.

Then yeah just go ahead and get money back, I'm sure he'll understand.

I vote give it more time. Not sure how long you have but assuming you can wait a week or two then I'd do it. Though you said you had time constraints so maybe you can't wait.

I vote give it more time. Not sure how long you have but assuming you can wait a week or two then I'd do it. Though you said you had time constraints so maybe you can't wait.

I had time constraints on getting the item. Since then I've purchased another. That's not to say that I don't still want the one I purchased from this seller, but I'm currently not seeing it or the money. I can definitely wait before upgrading.

I had time constraints on getting the item. Since then I've purchased another. That's not to say that I don't still want the one I purchased from this seller, but I'm currently not seeing it or the money. I can definitely wait before upgrading.

there no point in waiting if there is no communication with the seller, he is just holding your $. You can always resend the money if you decide to buy it afterward.

I won't name the seller (that's up to billyevans) but I will say that the seller has made it very clear to a lot of people on this board that he was seriously injured within the past year and is selling stuff to pay his medical bills. billyevans has told me that the item and money involved is quite small (he named both but I won't be more specific without his permission.) It's my (otherwise uninformed) opinion that there's nothing untoward going on here, and that the seller is unable to communicate for medical reasons, rather than trying to scam billyevans.

billyevans, do you want me to try to call the seller again? I haven't deleted your PM.

EDIT: I have no patience (lol) -- or the Universe is pushing too hard. I'm going to try that number again.
EDIT2: still disconnected.

Last edited:
I won't name the seller (that's up to billyevans) but I will say that the seller has made it very clear to a lot of people on this board that he was seriously injured within the past year and is selling stuff to pay his medical bills. billyevans has told me that the item and money involved is quite small (he named both but I won't be more specific without his permission.) It's my (otherwise uninformed) opinion that there's nothing untoward going on here, and that the seller is unable to communicate for medical reasons, rather than trying to scam billyevans.

billyevans, do you want me to try to call the seller again? I haven't deleted your PM.

EDIT: I have no patience (lol) -- or the Universe is pushing too hard. I'm going to try that number again.
EDIT2: still disconnected.

I don't have any reason to think he's looking to scam me, I'm just unsure of what the right thing to is regarding my money in this situation. I'm going to go ahead and file a claim. If the seller responds to me before this is over, then I can cancel it. If not, I saved myself some time.

EDIT: I filed a claim, but hopefully the seller gets back to me before it is concluded by Paypal so that we can get acquainted with what happened and try to work out the sale. Thanks to everyone for their input. If I could +rep you I would.

Last edited:
I vote file the claim. An established seller like this should know you're just covering your tail with no hard feelings.

File the claim. Whether or not its legit theres no reason for you to be out of your money. He comes back, resend it.

2 weeks? :eek:
1 week is pushing it IMHO. :eek:
If you buy or sell something and there is going to be a delay, ANY delay, you immediately let the buyer/seller know.
Hell I've sent PM's every day telling the other person "sorry I didn't get it shipped out today, had to stay late at work (or whatever), I'll try again tomorrow and PM you again". I typically ship out next day because when I list stuff FS, it's packed up right then and there (if not before) and usually gets lugged out to my car immediately after it's paid for. Even though I work Mon-Fri and go to school 3 nights a week I still stick the stuff in my car even if I'm waiting for payment but I've got (what I believe to be) a serious buyer lined up, just in case they pay while I'm at work. That way, I can still ship out the same day even if it means dropping it off at UPS or FedEx rather than our delivery driver taking it.

I don't like a lack of communication no matter what their Heat or [H] membership date status says.

If he's in a coma, I can understand that. I'd still file the claim. Worst case, he never replies to the claim, Paypal refunds the buyer, guy wakes up from the coma, checks his email, says "WTF?", replies to a PM or an email (finally), probably offers to sell it to the same buyer again.

Maybe that's just me though. :eek:

Back