Bought a Wii U this week. My thoughts...

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
First a couple of notes. My Initials are actually N.E.S. I'm sorry yours are not deal with it.

I had to completely skip the Wii and N64 because I have Cerebral Palsy and the controllers were just insanely difficult to use.

So to put it in perspective Super Mario World was basically the last time I played a Mario game.

I went to Best Buy the other night because I needed a new PC controller. Again no PS4's though honestly I didn't really care. Looking at the launch titles A. It's FPS's anymore which kinda irks me. Gimme my Odd world and crash bandicoot back. When did everything become a shooter? B. I already own most of the launch titles on PC which is kinda weird. I'm really unimpressed with this generation.

So I saw the Wii U and honestly ZombiU had been in the back of my mine for a while since I'm really into survival horror. The new $299.99 32GB Wii U bundle comes with a couple Mario Games so I figured what the heck lets do this.

Oddly enough they also gave me $45 in Gift cards. Some new promo so it was only $254.99. I live in Montana No taxes Yay!

I got it home and hooked everything up. I had heard stories about the Gamepad dying fast so I charged it up for an hour before bothering to fire it up.

Once I got everything going which was surprisingly easy Super Mario U worked with no Updates needed. I played for about 30 Minutes. It also came with Luigi U, but I didn't really give it a shot.

Then I got up early the next morning before work and played Mario for a little more. Then I came home and a played more. Then I got up at like 3am because girlfriend stuff and played til I had to go to work.

I seriously can not put Mario down. I haven't even played ZombiU for more than a few minutes.

I'd completely forgotten how fucking awesome super Mario is. Oh also everything else works nice too. The Apps were all preloaded for my netflix, amazon, and hulu. The gamepad is pretty sweet being able to walk around and play it like a gameboy is cool as fuck.

BUT SERIOUSLY MARIO.

I gotta say I'm kinda sold here. As long as they port a few more titles like the game from the original Resident evil guy I'll be totally happy with my purchase and I haven't even played the new mario or zelda windwalker or the new Donkey Kong.

I just felt like raising my hand in the Wii U's defense. I think it's gotten a bump rap same as the gamecube did which was an amazing system. I hope it does well. I'm glad they went back to a normal control scheme so people like me could play it.

Last edited:
I actually like how some games look on the system which break the no wtraditional 3-D FPS mold Donkey Kong is a good example of a side scrolling game that looks good for the Wii U which we need more of.

This is why I like the fact that there are multiple options available for gamers. Glad you are happy with your purchase. :)

I actually like how some games look on the system which break the no wtraditional 3-D FPS mold Donkey Kong is a good example of a side scrolling game that looks good for the Wii U which we need more of.

I think thats whats really appealed to me about this Mario is its so close to the originals I'm used to. during the steam winter sale I bought a bunch of indie sidescrollers a bit subconsciously.

I think I just prefer tight 2D physics sometimes over loose and poorly contrived 3D games now that you mention it.

I think the gamepad comes with maybe a 50% charge on it, maybe that's why people were saying the battery life was poor. When I first played mine the battery definitely needed charging quickly after but once I let it get a full charge I'd say that it lasts at least 1-3 hours. Even if you need to charge it while playing, you can just use that long power cord from the dock and plug it into a wall near you and then directly to the controller.

I'm liking mine. I'll probably only play the first party Nintendo games on it but it's a nice console. I didn't know it had streaming options so I may likely actually use my Amazon Prime membership to watch some shows now. Also, the gamepad displaying the IMDB info of what you're watching is really nice (that was the Amazon app). Not to mention that you don't have to pay Nintendo to stream from services you already pay for.

I'm almost finished with Mario U, pre-ordered DK Tropical Freeze, and will probably buy 3D World this month and Mario Kart 8 this summer.

...use my Amazon Prime membership to watch some shows now. Also, the gamepad displaying the IMDB info of what you're watching is really nice (that was the Amazon app).

That is one of my favorite features, really. It actually changes the information based on who is in the scene (assuming the movie supports it, and I haven't found one that didn't yet). This is great for those moments that you recognize someone but don't know what you saw them in -- answers at the click of a button. Very cool feature that uses existing tech to make things easier and more integrated. I love it!

That is one of my favorite features, really. It actually changes the information based on who is in the scene (assuming the movie supports it, and I haven't found one that didn't yet). This is great for those moments that you recognize someone but don't know what you saw them in -- answers at the click of a button. Very cool feature that uses existing tech to make things easier and more integrated. I love it!
Yeah, the X-Ray button on the Wii U remote screen. Love it. I was testing out the streaming playing Matrix Revolutions from Amazon Prime and noticed what I thought was the guy from the Mad Max movies (Gyro) and used X-Ray to confirm it. Same with Mr. Smith, I keep forgetting that he's the same guy that played in Lord of the Rings.

PRO TIP:

At the end of movies they have all these letters come up magically. So if you're actually paying some attention to the characters names in the moving picture story you just viewed... Well those letters actually spell out the names of which actors/actresses are in that particular movie, next to their movie characters name. Yeah I know what your thinking, mind blown....I can't believe it either.

PS: I want to break a Wii U pad now after reading this thread.

Yeah.. Credits are fun. But then you have to go google the actors name to cross reference any movies you think they might have been in :p

Be nice guys, all of this Nintendo love is giving teletran8 menstrual cramps! :p

Seriously, though, Nintendo might be able to turn this ship around yet, it seemed like before nobody I knew had a Wii U, let alone even knew what it was, now it's a different story. It's like the launch of the new consoles (Xbone and PS4) brought more attention to the Wii U ("Oh, there's another new console by Nintendo?").

Good to hear you're able to enjoy Mario gaming again. I haven't played Super Mario 3D World yet, but thoroughly enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS, so I'm sure you're in for a treat.

PRO TIP:

At the end of movies they have all these letters come up magically. So if you're actually paying some attention to the characters names in the moving picture story you just viewed... Well those letters actually spell out the names of which actors/actresses are in that particular movie, next to their movie characters name. Yeah I know what your thinking, mind blown....I can't believe it either.

PS: I want to break a Wii U pad now after reading this thread.

This is what a troll looks like.

if you got a gaming PC then you don't need the other consoles. Wii U and PC (and 3DS) give you the best gaming experience

if you got a gaming PC then you don't need the other consoles. Wii U and PC (and 3DS) give you the best gaming experience
Even though I don't have a Wii U, I've contemplated it for this very reason. It seems between PC and Wii U there are an excellent choice of games and gaming experience for my family and myself.

Even though I don't have a Wii U, I've contemplated it for this very reason. It seems between PC and Wii U there are an excellent choice of games and gaming experience for my family and myself.

Thats whats really bugging me. I think Ps4 and to a lesser extent Xboxone need to go back and shovel some money into more 1st party titles. I looked over the list again and between the two systems theres only 2 or so games I might want that aren't already on PC. Problem is I played BF4 on my friends PS4 yesterday and I don't like the new angular controller. I feel bad I know its fine for everyone else but its difficult for me to grip. I feel like the Gamecube controller was the perfect controller and that should have been it from then on out, but the WiiU pad is fine with me.

Thats whats really bugging me. I think Ps4 and to a lesser extent Xboxone need to go back and shovel some money into more 1st party titles. I looked over the list again and between the two systems theres only 2 or so games I might want that aren't already on PC. Problem is I played BF4 on my friends PS4 yesterday and I don't like the new angular controller. I feel bad I know its fine for everyone else but its difficult for me to grip. I feel like the Gamecube controller was the perfect controller and that should have been it from then on out, but the WiiU pad is fine with me.
Oh I totally agree.

And also agree on the Gamecube. While I think the controller was an acquired taste for some, I really liked it. I'm still very partial on an xbox 360 controller on PC. That's my big thing now. Great for PC titles and emulators (Project64, Dolphin, MAME). Good times. Hard to justify a $400-600 console with such capabilities from a PC. Its just not as plug and play a console. It took some tweaking to get my "steambox" to what it is today, but much beyond a basic user level.

Back