Bought a Samsung Exhibit II (T-Mobile prepaid) - great phone!

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So a couple of weeks ago I posted a thread in here asking for recommendations for a good 4G capable handset for use on T-Mobile's network and amongst several pointers on used handsets someone recommended the Samsung Exhibit II, which Walmart is selling for $200 out the door. I ended up biting on it and purchased one at my local walmart a few days ago.

So far I'm really impressed! It's a neat handset with a nice screen size (3.7") and good resolution (800x480). The contrast on the screen is amazing with blacks being REALLY black, it should make watching videos a real treat.

I'm pretty impressed with the overall speed of the phone - zero lag whatsoever and it's got some moderate 3D abilities making it run a lot of the newer games in the market flawlessly. Sure it's not a dual core, but for $200 that 1ghz Qualcomm SnapDragon really gives you some bang for your proverbial buck.

Battery life is decent, nothing special but it beats the hell out of my old Motorola Triumph (Virgin Mobile) and even does better than the LG Optimus One/V/S/T/whatever.

The phone itself is physically very slim and feels great in the hand. The battery cover is a bit thin and plasticy for my tastes, but it has a nice texture and again makes for a great hand feel.

4G speeds on T-Mobile network here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are fantastic - beats the everloving hell out of Sprint/VM's '3G' service. Knowing that I have 5GB of data on that 4G speed is even sweeter, again thanks to the $30 100min/unlimited data plan.

Oh and the cameras. The rear 3MP camera isn't actually all that bad. Still photos are decent for a cellphone and the LED flash works well enough. The video recording is actually fantastic, especially in low light where on some other phones you get this weird slideshow effect. On this phone low light video recording is very smooth... but it's only 640x480. Oh if only it were 720p. The front facing cam (skype, webcam, whatever) is actually pretty decent for a webcam - no complaints there. All in all not bad for a $200 phone.

My only complaints are minor:

1. No MicroSD card included - the phone does come with 1.5GB of app storage available for the end user so it's not too bad. MicroSD cards are cheap as hell to buy so no big deal.

2. Samsung uses their 'weird' version of a micro USB connector for charging - meaning just any old micro USB cable won't work for charging. It's pin compatable with standard micro usb so you can't damage anything, it just won't work if you don't use a compatable charging cord. Probably my only real complaint on this phone.

If any of you are looking to ditch your current provider (in my case it was Virgin Mobile) for a better plan with 4G data, this may just be your ticket. Again it's currently $200 from Walmart (and Amazon too last I checked) - T-Mobile sells it directly for $329.99 so buying from your local Wally World is a hell of a deal.

If you're currently on T-Mobile with a contract plan I think you can get it for like $20 or $30 with a contract renewal, but who on earth wants a contract? :D

My $0.02... if anyone has any questions about the phone now that it's in my hands I'd be happy to answer. :)

Buy the $5 groove ip app and google voice so you have minutes basically unlimited. I used it on a my touch 4g and now on a vibrant and its great $30 a month for the win

I've already flashed mine with a port of CyanogenMod 9 from XDA, only problem is, both cameras don't work, since none have found the sources nor the actual make (Samsung changed out the 5MP camera that was in the Galaxy W).

The ics roms suck big time, I've tried 4 different roms on 2 different phones and they chew thru a battey in no time. Sure the new interface is nice but I'll take a cm7 rom any day first, I was getting 11 hours easily with data on the whole time with the my touch 4g.

I've already flashed mine with a port of CyanogenMod 9 from XDA, only problem is, both cameras don't work, since none have found the sources nor the actual make (Samsung changed out the 5MP camera that was in the Galaxy W).

I can't use something that doesn't have a working camera, I use mine everyday multiple tims a day.

The main problems I have with the stock Exhibit II is there is something that makes the phone freeze/reboot way too much, and the wifi drops out far too often.

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping an eye on the CM9 port on this phone. If they ever get the camera working I'll be on it for sure.

Use the XquiziT 6.1 ROM. It has working cameras and lots of custom themes. My battery lasts for two days with wifi on, One day with Pandora always running.

Of course it has working cameras, it's based on the stock Gingerbread ROM - he just removed Touchwiz and the T-Mo apps and added Jacoa's kernel.

The main problems I have with the stock Exhibit II is there is something that makes the phone freeze/reboot way too much, and the wifi drops out far too often.

I haven't seen that yet on my handset, and I've been pretty much abusing the heck out of it with various apps trying to see how it will handle them. Lots of 3D gaming, Quadrant runs, etc.

I don't recall seeing WiFi drop yet, but I've not used it all that much just because I'm fascinated with how fast the 4G data is.

One thing I have noticed with T-Mobile's service is that texts to Canada are considered international texts and cost 10 cents each. Bummer, I have a good friend that lives in Toronto and we text quite often. :(

Good choice! I just left Virgin Mobile for T-Mo as well, though on a different phone and plan than you. I was just fed up with their outdated phone selection and terrible speeds.

Aren't there any apps to send texts over 3G? I rarely text, and certainly not to anyone internationally, but I imagine there are at least a few apps that could help you out.

Congrats the Exhibit II is a great phone and the 30 a month plan is fantastic. I flashed mine to the rebelROM with ICS look and I love it. very customizable I am glad I picked it up. lots of community support for it.

One thing I have noticed with T-Mobile's service is that texts to Canada are considered international texts and cost 10 cents each. Bummer, I have a good friend that lives in Toronto and we text quite often. :(

Use Google Voice?

Threads like this make me wish I had GSM coverage where I live. I would end up saving so much money.

If they send you a mms it goes to your email so thats how youll have to send them. I love the plan with groove ip and google voice im damn happy with t mobile, no one else can touch this plan. Virgin is a joke sprint service is down right awful

I flashed back to stock on my Exhibit II (need the camera for a work project), and I've realized just how much better this phone would be with (non-bloated) ICS. The browser alone is so much better than the Samsung browser when running stock.

I would love if Samsung would show this phone some love with ICS...

Yeah, Samsung's refusal to make available the camera drivers is pretty disappointing. My wife loves her new Exhibit so far. I ended up getting it unlocked (with a Photoshopped receipt, heh) and put her on Straight Talk and used the T-Mobile SIM that came with the phone in my Nexus for the $30 plan. Win-win.

Got Google Voice setup so I can send texts to my friend in Canada now. :)

Next will be to buy GrooveIP and never use any voice minutes again. :D

Personally I dont like ics roms at all, sure its nice to look at but if its not native to your phone you either have no camera or something else is wrong.

Personally I dont like ics roms at all, sure its nice to look at but if its not native to your phone you either have no camera or something else is wrong.

I know people are going to hate on me for saying this... but so far from what I've seen I don't dig the ICS visual style much at all. The visual styling seems garish and unappealing at the best, and cumbersome at the worst. Freakin 'LINES' everywhere, it's like they watched TRON a few hundred times...

I'm just hoping that the massive amount of options in CM9 makes up for it, and so far that seems to hold true. But to be honest I'd be really happy if someone would do a CM7 port for the Exhibit II... the Gingerbread sources from Samsung are already out there so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Got Google Voice setup so I can send texts to my friend in Canada now. :)

Next will be to buy GrooveIP and never use any voice minutes again. :D

You'll likely still use voice minutes. GrooveIP doesn't work well over a 3G (or HSPA+) connection very well at all. Google Voice doesn't support the newer VOIP codecs, so GrooveIP is stuck using a pretty outdated one that uses a good bit of bandwidth.

You'll likely still use voice minutes. GrooveIP doesn't work well over a 3G (or HSPA+) connection very well at all. Google Voice doesn't support the newer VOIP codecs, so GrooveIP is stuck using a pretty outdated one that uses a good bit of bandwidth.

Yep - when I tried Groove it was garbage. Same for SipDroid.

Totally not true. I used it with a mytouch 4g just fine and right now I am using it on a samsung vibrant (3g) and I have no issues what so ever using groove ip on my data connection. The main thing is how fast and good your data coverage is. On 4g I pull avg 6-9mbps down and 4-7mbps up on 3g I pull 2-5mbps down and 2.4mbps upload speed and it works just fine for me....

I like saving money and the monthly 4g $30 plan paired with google voice and groove ip is by far the best damn pre paid plan you can get. Virgin mobile doesnt stand a chance due to sprint sucking major ass, boost mobile is sprint too, page plus is verizon but you dont get unlimited data or anywhere near it either. Ig you have good t mo coverage in your area then the pre paid plan is a no brainer, i've been using it for almost 3 months now and I am verry happy with the service I get from them and I save a shit load of money in the process

Here's a question for you T-Mobile veterans...

On the $30 prepaid plan I get 5 Gigabytes of 4G data, but what happens when (and if) I hit that limit? Is data completely cut off or is it throttled, and what speeds is it throttled to?

throttled, all the way down to 2G speeds afaik. Enough to do weather updates, emails, etc. But streaming is out of the question and I would avoid browsing.

Depends on how much you use data, and its still more than ATT and VZW give you.

Totally not true. I used it with a mytouch 4g just fine and right now I am using it on a samsung vibrant (3g) and I have no issues what so ever using groove ip on my data connection. The main thing is how fast and good your data coverage is. On 4g I pull avg 6-9mbps down and 4-7mbps up on 3g I pull 2-5mbps down and 2.4mbps upload speed and it works just fine for me....

I discussed GrooveIP on a few forums when I was researching it for use with the $30 plan and you're literally the first person I've seen who has it working well on 3G/4G. The speeds you listed are about what I see on my Nexus in the various speed test apps, usually with around 125ms pings. It's still unusable for me over cellular data.

Incoming voice typically sounds fine, but the person on the other end of the conversation can't really understand me. This seems to be the general consensus among most other users as well.

T-Mobile is renaming this phone as the 'Samsung Galaxy Exhibit 4G' tomorrow (6-1-2012). To go along with the name change they are pushing an OTA firmware update that will update the handset to Android 2.3.6 (from 2.3.5) and is supposed to provide 'security fixes', camera enhancements/improvements, and increased battery life. I'm guessing the update will change the boot logo and internal branding as well.

Unusual for a carrier to completely rename a phone after it's already been out for 6+ months and a sizeable inventory already exists in stores.

Maybe now that it's getting a 'Galaxy' name they will give it more attention in the form of future software upgrades. I'd love to see an official ICS update somewhere down the line (although I'll probably have a Gnex by then).

I also bought myself a cheap ebay combo deal consisting of:

- Two 1700mah batteries (stock is 1530mah)
- Wall (out of phone) battery charger w/ USB port
- Extra data/charging cable
- TPU hybrid case
- 3x Screen Protectors

All of the above for $13 shipped from Hong Kong. All in all I'd have to say I am pleased with the deal - the case is nothing to write home about but it definitely works fine and will protect the phone. The really neat thing has been the two extra batteries and the wall charger. The batteries are at least as good as the stock battery and I'd say they last slightly longer. The wall charger is really sweet as it will charge extra batteries out of the phone, plus provides a USB port you can plug your phone (or any other device) in to charge it at the same time. I've been using it to charge my old Sansa C200 and it works fantastic!

Last edited:
tmobile prepaid plans are kinda weird when it comes to data.

30/month 100 mins unlimited txt + data is first 5gb is 4g

50/month unlminited everything is first 100mb is 4g WTF???

60 gets you 2gb at 4g and 70 gets you 5gb

Why is the 100 min plan getting 5gb at 4g? Seems pretty silly to me. Great for people who dont talk on the phone at all, but just weird pricing.

Why is the 100 min plan getting 5gb at 4g? Seems pretty silly to me. Great for people who dont talk on the phone at all, but just weird pricing.
The $30 plan is Walmart and tmobile.com only. I'm sure it's a plan Walmart pushed for.

As said in the post above me, its the walmart plan/online one, not a standard pre-paid. Also, their aim is to have low minute users have that plan....i can see how it is confusing but you need to look at what they are marketing it to, and that only the last 2 in your list are available all around as T-Mo prepaid...

Back