bought a new case and it fried my MB :(

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
yep got a case with a blowhole from comp usa and noticed on the tray raised bumps that looked like they were suppose to be used to screw down MB, knowing better i called comp usa and asked, the man said "oh no prob" " ive done that 100 times" so against my better judgment i went ahead intalling MB i still used the brass stands but the bumps from the tray were still touching the MB when i hit the power switch everything powered up for about 1/2 a second then died, put MB in cardboard tray and tried to get it to turn on and it was dead..... called Comp usa back and they basically said it was my fault that i must have fried the MB before i put it in the case LOL i said i used a static wrist strap and the damn thing turned on briefly before it shorted, he said oh well sorry nothing we can do about it :( anyway just wanted to rant as now i have to wait a month while i RMA my board back to Abit:(
still gonna use case though i just put electrical tape over the humps in the tray

So, let me get this straight....

...you took the advice of a CompUSA employee? :confused: :confused:

They're right, that was totally your fault.

dude, compusa..... BE GONE YOU DEMONS OF STUPIDITY

just for the hell of it, go bitch and moan to the compusa manager about the guy who told you it was ok. The squaky wheel gets the new rounded cables and cold cathodes for free ;)

I would contact the manufacturers of the case and be like what the hell are you doing sticking metal bumps on the mobo tray. dont you know metal is conductive.

JEEVES

u guys think the case will be ok if i put electrical tape over the bumps? its a sweet lookin case :(

i think you should just give the bumps a good hard whack with a hammer, or a cat... i don't care much for either of em

Originally posted by carlson
i think you should just give the bumps a good hard whack with a hammer, or a cat... i don't care much for either of em
This guys right!

yeah and something to beat the old mobo tray into submission *cough* cat *cough*

FOR GOD'S SAKE DONT USE A CAT! Use a Radio Shack/Compusa Employee, either one is just as dumb as the other :D

Cats have a purpose, to drive us nuts with thier superior attitude and look cute and fuzzy.

Originally posted by mashie
Since when did stupidity become a RMA reason, you screwed up, not Abit.

After all it is not their fault you don't know how to install a mobo. :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Originally posted by SarverSystems
Buy a new board from CompUSA, and return the dead one with the new receipt!

:D :D :D

Originally posted by mashie
Since when did stupidity become a RMA reason, you screwed up, not Abit.

After all it is not their fault you don't know how to install a mobo. :rolleyes:

Sorry but I have to agree with Marshie here. You should have followed your first instinct and taken the case back. If they insisted that it was supposed to be that way let them install it and take responsibility for the damage.

James

never never take the advice of a store employee.

that brings me back to the time i went to best buy to buy a copy of XP.

Me "Where are your operateing systems?"
Best buy guy "our what?"
Me "your OS's for a computer"
best buy guy "what are u talkjng about?"
Me "windows"
best buy guy "oh windows there over there"

i wanted to bitch slap that guy so bad

Heh, I feel that way when I have to walk into ratshack for anything. I end up either just combing the shelves for what I want or getting kicked out of the store for calling the guy a dumbass. Oh how I wish Fry's was in Oklahoma City.

Originally posted by RM_Bulldog
yep got a case with a blowhole from comp usa and noticed on the tray raised bumps that looked like they were suppose to be used to screw down MB, knowing better i called comp usa and asked, the man said "oh no prob" " ive done that 100 times" so against my better judgment i went ahead intalling MB i still used the brass stands but the bumps from the tray were still touching the MB when i hit the power switch everything powered up for about 1/2 a second then died, put MB in cardboard tray and tried to get it to turn on and it was dead..... called Comp usa back and they basically said it was my fault that i must have fried the MB before i put it in the case LOL i said i used a static wrist strap and the damn thing turned on briefly before it shorted, he said oh well sorry nothing we can do about it :( anyway just wanted to rant as now i have to wait a month while i RMA my board back to Abit:(
still gonna use case though i just put electrical tape over the humps in the tray

Yeah, it'll take about 3 weeks. I just RMA'd my IT7 on 3/26/2004, mailed it out via fedex once I got my RMA number. They received it on 4/07/2004 and mailed my new one out on 4/09/2004, I got it on 4/16/2004. I wasn't in a rush though since I'm stilll waiting on my SP-94 and other parts to get here.

ya return it those bastards suck!

i would love to see them die so they will have a going out of business sale:)

Originally posted by thebro
ya return it those bastards suck!

i would love to see them die so they will have a going out of business sale:)

why everything would still be overpriced

so let me get this straight, you bought a case, it had raised motherboard standoffs, and you screwed your case directly into those....then it's your fault dude, and the guy at CompUSA told you the right thing so everyone needs to lay off him too.

you screw your brass standoffs into those bumps, then screw your motherboard to the standoffs, it's not a design flaw.

I honestly can't believe they agreed to RMA your hardware, you wouldn't expect an RMA back if you just stuck your motherboard in the oven to hold it while you powered it on would you?

someone should probably stamp the bumps out of YOU with a cat.

damn you guys are harsh and you give me little credit.....
first i tried putting the stands ontop of the bumps but then the MB was way to high that is when i called comp usa and they gave em there line of crap and im paying Abit $25 for the repair of the board so please dont be so harsh

If the backplane on the thing lined up, then I think it's safe to assume he did it right.. I mean, if it lines up without them, then you add half an inch, it's not going to work out, right?

So, did it line up without you forcing it to?

it lines up using the MB mounts, with the stand+MBmount its way to high to line up with backplate..... what im gonna do is superglue some rubber washers over MB mounts and use stands in different spots.... hopefully it works

it lines up using the MB mounts, with the stand+MBmount its way to high to line up with backplate..... what im gonna do is superglue some rubber washers over MB mounts and use stands in different spots.... hopefully it works

you realize your probably doing something wrong?

i wouldnt take a case from someone for free if i had to do that to mount a motherboard... nevermind buy a case....

Amen, I'd return it to the same store you bought it, demand a refund or an exchange, and them to reimburse you for the cash you had to spend to get your MB repaired after their case borked it, AFTER assuring you that there would be no problem.

there isnt alot he can do wrong, line up the back panle, put stand offs in the holes that mach those on the mobo, screw in if those bumps touch the mobo, put some tape over them but just so you know something isnt right there, can you give us a link to the case or atleast make and modle

i cant post pics. its a comp usa brand case and the bumps are meant to be motherboard mounts...... idiots who desighned........
i superglued rubber washers on the mounts and im reinstalling everything thursday when i get my new MB :)

u guys think the case will be ok if i put electrical tape over the bumps? its a sweet lookin case :(

That's exactly what I did when I put an aftermarket mobo in my modded Gateway case. Worked like a charm.

But, be sure and put a couple layers of elec. tape on the 'bump', because the through-hole solder points are sharp and could still make their way through the tape and short another mobo.

i bought a cheapo case with the pre-stamped mobo mounts.

they were only the common ones and i still had to use 4 or so copper mounts...

i used them and my computer has been running in that case for about 2 years... lan parties and 3 moves.

Originally posted by Aku12
i bought a cheapo case with the pre-stamped mobo mounts.

they were only the common ones and i still had to use 4 or so copper mounts...

i used them and my computer has been running in that case for about 2 years... lan parties and 3 moves.
I've used them on 8 or 10 systems with no problems, you just have to be sure the "bumps" line up correctly with the mobo you're installing ( they have with all the boards I've used). I still prefer the screw in standoffs to the "bumps" but you use what ya got. :D

one of the bumps didnt line up and that is what did it :(
i superglued rubber washers over them fucking bumps and will be sure to post it it works or not thursday/friday

holy crap, 160.00 for a lanboy???? I paid 85.00 shipped for mines from the egg.

the rubber washers did the trick and after getting a new AI7 and a wire job on my case plus this case has blowhole:D now my temps a lower :)

Back