Bought a Lenovo Y900 Gaming PC last week, ram upgrade?

plac

Gawd
So I definitely knew what I was getting into buying a pre-made PC. I have built my own for the last 15 years, and I just wanted a nice set this time with no hassle. I got it, and this is an incredible PC.

But I think I can see a drawback to this type of thing, I found out my motherboard bios doesnt seem to have any memory settings to adjust in it. So I am not sure if I am getting the real power in this memory or not. If I am not, that's fine, this PC is faster than I've ever had anyway.

cpumemorypic1.jpg

cpumemorypic2.jpg

cpumemorypic3.jpg

Lenovo Y900-34ISZ bought at Frys Electronics.

about $1489, or $1620 out the door.

i7 6700K 4ghz
had 8 gb ram, i upgraded to 16gb ram in the above pic. i do not need 32gb ram..
nvidia GTX 970 4gb
it came with a small 120gb ssd which i am saving as an original system backup.
it came with a 2TB hybrid SSHD which i already sold on ebay for $70.
i installed my Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSD, and that is my only disk currently.
i am selling my samsung 830 256GB SSD on ebay at the moment. (about $79)

upgrades for the future? I want to get that Samsung 950 M2 512GB SSD as my final upgrade.

I suppose i could put my old 4GB x 2 sticks back in also, to make a total of 24GB. If the new ram doesnt run any faster anyway.. not that I need 24GB.. but it sounds cool anyway.

but one question.. Did you shop on their website? I think the ones on the website give you a better deal? Look at the 1tb samsung thats on sale today.. check slickdeals

Given your monitor's resolution, I doubt you need any upgrades to that Lenovo.

Side note: been seeing a lot of Lenovo/ASUS gaming rigs in my local MicroCenter recently. Some of them look pretty nice (exterior-wise, anyway).

its an awesome PC, i love it. of course i have shockwave flash crashing issues on windows 10, but thats nothing to do with the PC. I have tried the usually fixes everyone talks about. still crashes every once in a while.

Use the software Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Go into Manual Tuning and Memory, select XMP profile there to see if you get the rated speed. Nearly every OEM bios is lackluster, they do not want to be blamed when a user pushes their PC too much and it becomes unstable.

Use the software Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Go into Manual Tuning and Memory, select XMP profile there to see if you get the rated speed. Nearly every OEM bios is lackluster, they do not want to be blamed when a user pushes their PC too much and it becomes unstable.

thanks man, gonna try that now. i guess that would be a Os level thing..

i couldnt find anything at all about tuning memory in that program, it was all cpu.

my benchmark is 1140.

http://postimg.org/image/lc09bopnv/

This page is what you need, and select the XMP profile.

Back