Bought a G700, Need a Mouse Pad for MMO's!

Ltor

Limp Gawd
I got a G700 on sale for $40 last weekend Plain black works for me.

These are a few names I seem to hear the most.

SteelSeries QcK+
SteelSeries 4HD
Razer Kabuto

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try a Steelseries 4HD because I'm told it's the closest thing to my old favorite, the fUnc 1030... But seeing as I just found out that fUnc didn't go out of business entirely, I might just pick up another 1030 off Amazon for $16. I still like switching up the surface side for more/less glide on occasion, and they've rather durable.

I've seen foam/cloth pads making a comeback and for the life of me I can't imagine why... Dunno why anyone would wanna constantly place their wrist/hands on one of those fancy aluminum pads, either that cold touch can't be pleasant in the middle of a winter night.

Try an IceMat. You can get them at Performance PCs. I've had one since 2006 and stilll has not warn out. it actually gets smoother! It will wear out the pads on the mouse before you wear the IceMat out. It's made of a frosted glass, and is extremely tough.

Are you a modder with access to power tools? If so I've had great success with my griddle, it's a non-stick aluminum griddle that I cut the edges off to make a nice smooth, flat surface.

Aside from that the Ratpadz are the only other mouse pad I've purchased in the last 10 years or so and they still work great. Might be too thick for you though, but if I remember right it comes with a money-back guarantee.

QcK+ for me.

I have the QcK Heavy (essentially a thicker +) and it's great.

Try an IceMat. You can get them at Performance PCs. I've had one since 2006 and stilll has not warn out. it actually gets smoother! It will wear out the pads on the mouse before you wear the IceMat out. It's made of a frosted glass, and is extremely tough.

I can't seem to find exactly the one your talking about a lot are named that. Also not sure i would want to rest my wrist on glass, sounds cold.

Also I like america but is that ratpad scratchy? It looks scratchy.

Last edited:
I've had a ratzpad. I wore it out in about 6 months. I wore the textured surface off in the main area's where the mouse stays. When this happens, it is no long slilky smooth.

The IceMat is only cold for a few second. It mostly stay are room temperature. Glass is not good at conducting heat like those aluminum pads. But, I have noticed that with hard pads, you can feel ANY kind of grit the get under neither the mouse. They tend to gunk up the bottom of the mouse as well, but only if you're a dirty individual.

They are worth the price!
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...uct_info&cPath=53_90_424_435&products_id=3130
AND
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ct_info&cPath=53_90_424_435&products_id=22620

get the 4HD if you want to eliminate cursor jitter, shitty unreliable laser sensors like the one placed under your mouse ( :p ) are VERY picky when it comes to surfaces, plastic pads like 4HD improve their tracking perforamance a lot.

But how long does that plactic surface last? Like I said in my last post, my ratpad only lasted 6 months!

razer goliathus is not bad. steelseries 5L is awesome but its no longer in production.

out of the 3 you listed SteelSeries 4HD

Have the same mouse and I use a QCK heavy and it works awesome.

Ratpadz XT works great too but I kept having to bend mine straight which was my only problem with it.

if you want the slickness of a hard pad but also want some extra durability instead of developing flat spots too soon etc then you should inverst on a artisan hien - HARD thickness from amazon, avago 9500 sensor track fine on them too, they're not your ordinary cloth pads :)

really depends on what dpi you use the thing on. i have the icemat/steelseries i-2 and i love it to death. if you want something hip and cool then theres a japanese company called artisan making japanese mousepads.

I have the Steelseries I-2 aka the ice mat version 2 that black one. Im currently testing out a g700 and a 4g mamba. Both track very well on the icemat. Its smooth as butter. Ive used a g9x on it for over a year and the pads on the mouse are still ok. Not as good as new but it still glides well. So the pad doesn't eat pads like crazy.

Grit can get stuck under the feet of the mice and cause a rough grinding sound but a quick wipe fixes that. You can wipe these down with cleaner just like a window without issues. The surface still looks new. Maybe a bit less shiny in the middle but only if you look at it at and angel. All parts of the surface feel the same throughout.

The pad doesn't get ice cold or anything just a tad cool. I think it feels nice when first touching it.

I also have a qck heavy. Both mice drag a bit more on it and its a bit harder to do small precise movements compared to the slick surface of the ice mat. Its harder to get the mouse to start moving but not by much. The black color is wearing to grey and Ive used it on and off for about 6-8 months.

I do want to check out the new Razer Scarab and compare that to the icemat. I kind of want a combo of the qck and the icemat to try out.

I have 2 suggestions from the " probably easy to find" field

1. If you like the feel of plastic, the Ratpad XT is probably the best you'll find. If I'm correct, Kyle and friends from [H] make them, so they know what you're looking for! Alternates are to check the wide variety of Steelseries mats - all sorts of different sizes, materials, feel etc...

2. If you want metal, the Steelseries SX is the best of the best, I've found. True anodized aluminum, great build quality. I hear they may not make these much longer as they're way more expensive than any plastic pads. I have one and its the best mousepad for my uses.

You might not need a mousepad.

I've used a G700 on a wood surface now for the last year on a wooden desk and had no problems, so I'm not convinced you need a mousepad. The majority of my use is in a firefox profile w/ 3200 dpi and 250 polling rate and a mid level acceleration, although various game profiles bump some of those up depending on the game. Currently that lets me get anywhere on my 3240x1920 main desktop or a 1680x1050 extended screen in <1 second and I have almost no problems with the mouse accuracy getting it where I want to go, it also stays perfectly still when not in use. The pads on the bottom of the mouse hardly look worn and the desk is in good shape (no damage to the finish, so there seems to be very little need for a mouse pad.

we'll ill give it a go on my desk till I see a sale on slickdeals for either of the mouse pads mentioned. It was surprisingly good timing too since one of the side buttons on my razer deathaddler just started to stick.

if you want the slickness of a hard pad but also want some extra durability instead of developing flat spots too soon etc then you should inverst on a artisan hien - HARD thickness from amazon, avago 9500 sensor track fine on them too, they're not your ordinary cloth pads :)

I love the slickness of hard pads but I'm always pissed how fast they wear out.

You're saying this Artisan Hien Hard pad won't wear out fast, but it glides slick like a plastic pad?

it's very slick for a clothpad yes, hayate is said to be even faster and less abrassive but i don't know if it's compatible with avago 9500 mice

I'm telling you. An IceMat is the way to go if you want durability. They are plenty slick and I've had mine for years. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon! And if it's not slick enough, then clean it with some of the Teflon tile cleaner for bathrooms. I'm not sure if it good for you skin to be resting on it, but I did it one it was like oil!

Do you also need bottled water for MMOs and toilet paper for MMOs? How about a precision MMO-tuned dishwasher, to make sure your MMO mugs are MMO clean for drinking MMO juice when failure isn't an option.

Just kidding.

Seriously tho, RatPadz XT.

artisan hein H large. best mouse mat i have ever use. the quality is unparalleled, the tracking is smooth and it has a lot of glide for a cloth mat. the large version is absolutely huge. i think mine is like 14x16 or something like that. its a bit pricey at around $50 but wel worth it imo.

I'm telling you. An IceMat is the way to go if you want durability. They are plenty slick and I've had mine for years. I don't plan on replacing it any time soon! And if it's not slick enough, then clean it with some of the Teflon tile cleaner for bathrooms. I'm not sure if it good for you skin to be resting on it, but I did it one it was like oil!

I like very thin mouse pads, otherwise my wrist gets uncomfortable. Icemat is too thick or I'd buy one :(

Do they make the Hayate in hard version? I can only find Soft version on Amazon

Back