Bought a 7950GX2, but I can't have HDTV running at a different res to my monitor?

John

Limp Gawd
I recently bought an Asus 7950GX2 - one of the big appeals for me was being able to display HDTV on my Sony Bravia, straight from my PC.

However, it's a small HDTV - it only displays 720p max. I connected the component cable from my graphics card to my TV, and headed off to the nVidia control panel to configure it. Surprisingly, I found that there was no way to have the HDTV be recognized by Windows as another monitor. All I could do was have one very large monitor, with a wide resolution - bringing my monitor's resolution down to 1280x720.

What I want is to have my two monitors (DVI connection) displaying at 1920x1200, and my HDTV at 720p. Is this possible?

I think that this is possible. I hooked up my sony thru the VGA port on the tv not thru component like you say you are doing and did not have any trouble getting 720p. I did have it where I was only using one monitor at a time and did not play around to get both up at same time doing different things.

The problem is that my two monitors are using the DVI ports, and my HDTV is hooked up via component. I can't seem to get the component signal to run at its own resolution, it always extends the resolution of one of the monitors.

The gfx card has only two (internal) outputs IIRC so you can only use one DVI and tv-out at the same time if you want different resolutions. You're seeing that limitation since you'll have to run one of your DVI's at the same resolution as your tv-out.

So the quick answer to your question is: no you can't run two DVI and tv-out at the same time with different resolutions.

Back