Bought a 2347

you don't get it to go from 1 to 2. if you have access to getting a 2, GET IT. it allows for full usage of your quadcore goodness.

I WAS SENT FB-DIMMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay....as of now...
i have posted the fb-dimms on my FS thread here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033340254

If you need anything from there, LMK

I ordered a SECOND 9800GT. this should maximize my ports while giving me processing power that i need. If i can softmod it to a Quadro FX3700, i would be happy. Either way, i now have 8 cores at 1.9ghz and 24-32 cores at 650Mhz Go parallel processing!!!

My RAM is ordered. I will probably pick up more. If i can sell or trade my FB-DIMMs, i will put the money towards that or my college needs. Either way, 10GB or ram should be enough. I really don't need 16GB...right?

It's sad, right now my system is in shambles and looks lost and forgotten...

AND I STILL NEED WINDOWS 2k8!!!!! my friend didn't come through...

Okay....as of now...
i have posted the fb-dimms on my FS thread here
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033340254

If you need anything from there, LMK

I ordered a SECOND 9800GT. this should maximize my ports while giving me processing power that i need. If i can softmod it to a Quadro FX3700, i would be happy. Either way, i now have 8 cores at 1.9ghz and 24-32 cores at 650Mhz Go parallel processing!!!

My RAM is ordered. I will probably pick up more. If i can sell or trade my FB-DIMMs, i will put the money towards that or my college needs. Either way, 10GB or ram should be enough. I really don't need 16GB...right?

It's sad, right now my system is in shambles and looks lost and forgotten...

AND I STILL NEED WINDOWS 2k8!!!!! my friend didn't come through...

How did you get 24-32 cores at 650mhz? I'm assuming they're your graphics card processors in which case you should have a ton more.

About windows 2k8. You might not want to run that it may have the shitty Microsoft TLB bug fix in it and would reduce performance like crazy. I'm using 2k3 R2 without a problem.

If you still want to use it I may be able to hook you up with a copy.

okay, finally got my next 2 sticks of ram. Went and booted, played wiht the jumper settings, the video card, everything. no post. i get the start up system beep though. I also get the 1 long, 2 short beeps form the bios. It identifies iteslf as, according to the
Deep Code Description
1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot intialize the video screen to display any additional information

I don't know what to do now. so close. if this works, i'm buying another 4 sticks from sabregen. for 14GBs of RAM...just cause. if not, i don't know where to go from there...

HELP (and i am asking for help on the MSI forums too)

have you ever tried ascending to the precipice of greatness, clawing to the edge, but the winds of failure and uncontrollable events keep you back from that one fistful of dirt that would gurantee your success?

that is where i am

the amount of stuff that i have accumulated this past week, as support systems for my build...omg...

but it is this BIOS CHIP that is killing me. Even the replacement is a screaming failure. Also i am being chastised for things msi misinformed me about. No, tis is not a very happy thanksgiving.
http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=121458.0

However, once i get it all booted up, i will post again. if anyone has any parts or help, LMK!

How are the two Opteron 2347's working for you?
I am looking to buy a ASUS dual socket F board with two Opty 2347's

What is the performance like with a 1.9Ghz 8 core system?

I am going to use it primarily for 2D/3D CAD rendering, so I only really need cpu power.

From my understanding the Opty 2347 has the TLB bug, but does the Opty 2347HE also have that bug?

K-TRON

today...today...

a few minutes ago i opened and installed the MSI bios from MSI europe. The first time i powered the machine with my 9800GT, i got the familliar error beep. the second time, i installed my ati x1300. nothing happened. then the screen blinked. POST.

I am not ashamed to tell you that when the RAM test started ticking away, i felt tears start to well up. They are still there. If i was a person who cried, they would be down my face right now. Then the expected keyboard error. then i powered it off, sat down and typed this. Merry Christmas from MSI indeed.

To answer K-TRON's question...

both processors are seen. You are using it for exactly the same thing i am, only i will be using Linux and CrossOver/Wine Combo. I dont' know if the TLB bug will be a problem, but since i'm not using virtualization, it really shouldn't be.

For you, get a nice NVidia graphics card. Believe it or not, CUDA is poised to take over sooooo much stuff, i woudl tell you to get on the cutting edge. Do the geforce -> quadro hack, and you should be good. Using an 8 core system, i DOUBT you will have any issues with lag unless you have some HUGE model. I mean, really, i have a 1000 part model in invetor working fine on a P4 with a dinky card at work. I can't imagine what i can do wiht this machine, but i do know what i will do.

Make sure that you buy a WHOLE lot of RAM though so you can use it as a ram drive with parts. ATM, i'm so happy, i'm going to buy a few more sticks fo ram. so VERY happy. Esp with newegg having that 15$ off sale with paypal. yay newegg. gonna buy 3 sticks and get my 16GB

Okay...ofcourse tha tmeans the video error that i got came form the 9800. I am very upset because this whole thing kept me from testing any of my cards. Hopefully some time in the bios will change that, but i don't like getting screwed. That card my be under warranty too, sot hat will be okay

Okay, on the th eprogress OUTSIDE fo the computer that i made.

I am bought a scsi enclosure. Yay. I am deciding if i should run RAID 0+1 with 2x 36gb drives in the computer and the 2x36 gb drives in the enclosure WITH the 2x 300GB in JBOD or in RAID 5 with. Decisions decisions. Also picked up 2x 250gb of western digital RE drives. Maybe i'll do JBOD with that too? maybe RAID 1? dunno.

I am upgrading my case as well. I am trading for a nice EATX case. hurrah! 6 drives in removable...+ space for lian Li case parts...drool....

I am looking for a PCI-E to PCI-X adapter now. I would LOVE to run my scsi drives in full U320

I am DLing Ubuntu 8.04 x64 edition right now. no windows server 2008 anymore. I met a guy and he talked me out of it really really really well. Most of my "computers" actually already run linux (my router, NAS, laptop on a different drive, UAV computer) so why not, right?. I probably will dual boot with XP.

system sees 10Gb or ram. :).

I decided to just use the 2x 250gb for now before i go all scsi. ubuntu will be a fun expereince. This is just fore this weekend. it WILL be running 6-7 scsi devices before i'm done

cool thing i found out- with the new bios chip, you can do RAID 5 :)

the beast is alive...

apparently the raid stuff can only be enabled in windows or something. bah.

cool, thanks genesis.
I still have not received my ASUS board and cpu's yet. Their was a little mishap generated over money orders. I had no idea that their were domestic and international ones, so naturally I tell the clerk at the post office I am making a money order for a Canadian resident, and she gave me a domestic money order, so i just have to wait for the domestic one to ship back and than I will make sure to send an international one.

Right now I have a 3870X2 ready to be paired with my Asus board, I think I am going to sell it to get a nice nvidia quadro or a Matrox.
The quadro cards are super expensive, and I dont know if its really worth it, so the softmodding to quadro firmware is a good solution.
I have been looking for good deals, but I still have not found one.
I really prefer to use Matrox over ATi/nVidia.

Right now I have 2x2gb of ECC memory. I will probably upgrade to 8gb (the max the board can do) after I get the system all up and running.

If you are looking for PCI/PCIe/PCI-X adaptors you should look into ADEX technologies. I just bought a PCIe riser from them, and I must say they have practically every kind of adaptor you could ever need
Link:
http://www.adexelec.com/extenders.htm

To order, email Cheryl Gale: [email protected], she will take care of you

K-TRON

Money orders suck and sometimes, post office people don't listen. I like paypal's 1 time use credit card. glad things got sorted out.

i've actually negotiated an FX1400 :). It will never make it into my system. I wish i could go ATI and crossfire, but my board is all sli...which is okay because then i can just CUDA. Soft modding is where it's at though :). seriously, i want to see where cuda starts helping CAD

http://www.adexelec.com/pciexp.htm#EPERXP

that seems to be the closest one to my needs, but we'll see. Thanks for that link. I just want to get my scsi drives going right, ya know.

ubuntu 8.10 does NOT like 2x 9800, or the new nvidia drivers. i'll redo my kernel again to 8.04, but i won't upgrade this time. will show pics soon. Final product will be revealed after the new years

my dual monitor Arm came in. I installed both my 18.1" monitors on them (these are the 8030s, they have like 6 possible inputs and i use them for many things...all monitor based). However, there seems to be a problem with the arms, so i called Moview. after a few calls and emails (they are great people, btw, they said they were going to send me a new set of arms. Right now, my monitors are being supported by two dead HDDs, which frame my xbox 360 from 85 5.0L All i can say is that his mounting system cleared up SOOOOO much space on my desk. i love it---but wi will lvoe it more when they work.

Right now, in linux, i am fighting up with getting the kernel to recognize my firewire drives. I have a laCie big disk that is only firewire (which sucks) and i can't get it working, even after installing kino. I think i'm going to dual boot with windows 2008 server because as much as I like Linux, ti has me limited in a few ways, such as windows software that works, application support for drivers that windows users enjoy, there is a higher learning curve (which isn't a problem too much), and it's inability to "forgive" windows based mistakes (i do lots of computer repair, so yeah, forgiveness is crucial). However, i really REALLY like it.

I just got 2 complete liquid colling systems in a trade, so i am not sure what i'm going to do with the Koolace one. I like the homemade water based one because, well, water is cheap...and it can cool 7 processors in 3 systems at one time, including the other stuff (my firend had a render farm). I'll probably sell the Koolace one, but what ever.

As far as performance goes, my friend who is big in linux said started not to like me when we started to render things in blender. despite using all the processors, only one spiked to 100 at a time, the others never crossed 50. Funny thing is, that my cards never got hacked to be in quadro set up, and though CUDA support is starting to grow in blender, i did not enable it. Suffice to say, this machine is a beast...and i'm only 3/4 done with the install.

Still to do (in no particular order):
  • install my SCSI drivers
  • Install RAM disk
  • Get RAID working
  • Get firewire working-- so that i can get access to my 2x 320 IDEs
  • Get the Audigy 2 working (though i have ALSA installed, it is only going on my onboard sound. i think if i turn off the onboard sound int the bios, this might work...)
  • Get new Case
  • Clean room for pics.
  • Put up shelving.
  • Fix Monitors
  • Install Windows Server 2008 (will happen in January)
  • get robotics working

I got the Opty 2347HE's as well but I need drives and a case before I can assemble it. I am planning on installing Windows 2008 to use Hyper-V. I would use ESX but the NIC's on the supermicro H8DA3-2 are marvell chips so I don't think ESX will work with them. Though I have ESX setup on an older server so having Hyper-V would be a good experience builder.

leward, i think i answered you in the other thread :)

I got my sound working under linux. apparently ALSA defaults to onboard sound, so i shut it off. WOW!!!

I'm fighting hard to get some of my apps installed using crossover or wine. seriously though, it is really annoying that autocad or solidworks doesn't exist for linux. i still have to play with qCAD.

Another annoyance is the delay in printing. It prints but take a minute to do so.

OKay, ltos fof update,s pics when i get back him

First, i was given a Lian Li case. BIG improvement!!!! Lots more drive space.

Drives:
Scsi
5x 36gb in raid 5, 2x 300gb in JBOD,
SATA
250Gb in Raid 0
0 IDE :(

Second, i bought a creative xfi soundcard. It's already in there.

Third, i now have new HSFs. i got a pair of theirmaltake somethings or others, i dunno. I'll be putting the others on sale. You guys were right...one processor was CONSIDERABLY hotter than the other.

I am really considering getting a PCIE SCSI card. Also may be looking at getting another 6GBs and just get to 16GB like i know i should...if SAS did scsi...

Next week school begins. This means that i will be installing Windwos Serer 2008 on there. I need to. I have bioshock, FEAR, GRAW, GRAW2, Supreme Commander, Fall of liberty, CnC3, RS6, Far Cry, and a host more other games, HALF I HAVEN'T EVEN OPENED YET, just sitting there. I loaned my 360 out so i would be on the walls if i wasn't so busy. I love Ubuntu, just not for games, even with Crossover.

Still working on my NAS. i was hoping to get it working by now, but OBVIOUSLY i did something wrong in the settings because it refuses to work, even for the linux professional guys! That is, for CUPS printing and stuff. I think the drive issues have to do with a bad pull in windows, but still, am kinda irked by it.

sooooo, i am giving back my [H]ard certification. I found out why windows 2008 server ws freezing-- the drive was over heating. Yeah. I know. Shut up. I figured it out and not a moment too soon...on the flip side, i now want to play with VMware. My friend is a Zen master at it, so yay...fun times. this will be interesting indeed...

CURRENT STATS

Here already
not here yet
latest updates

i swear, i'm not italian.

Specs:

AWESOME Lian Li case (Full sized tower)
2x 2347HE Opterons
10GB of DDR2 PC5300 ECC Registered RAM (ATM, will be 16 soon)
E-MU 0404 PCI
9800GT 512 MB x 2
MSI Speedster K9ND
DVD/RW DL with light scribe and securedisc
2x 250GB WD RE2's
5x36GB Ultra320 10K RPM SCSI
2x 300gb Ultra320 10K RPM SCSI
2x 18" 8030 LCDs
750GB Seagate Free Agent

***Buffalo Linkstation Pro 250GB with gigabit
My FTP/Webserver, hacked with Freelink and Webmin
160GB Western digital mybook
200GB Seagate Free Agent
HP1200 laser jet printer

PERIPHERALS LIST
Win2K8 only
Both

Sandio 6DOF Mouse
Gyration Ultra GT mouse (leaving the keyboard out of this
ShuttleXpress
PC104 development system
Slingbox AV (for on demand)

Still to buy....some sort of projector (LED) or LCD TV at 1080P

sooooo, i am giving back my [H]ard certification. I found out why windows 2008 server ws freezing-- the drive was over heating. Yeah. I know. Shut up.
Has happened to me before, I wouldn't feel too ashamed of it! The fact that you had the bawls to admit it here is a good thing.

hehe, if you can't laugh at yourself... ;)

but sadly, that only...it bandaided the issue. even after moving it amd makign sure it had GREAT ventilation, it STILL freezes. However, it is lasting MUCH longer. I'm going to buy an HDD, clone the drives, and start from scratch with VMware esxi. linux in one window, ubuntu in the next, shouldn't be an issue, right? lol

Dropped my laptop, so i need this thing WORKING GREAT!

Make sure you grab ESX 3.5i U2. Anything newer than U2 (current is U4) will not install on B2 rev Opterons. Last I saw, U2 was still available on their site.

many issues....and i need help!

First, i got a brand new 36gb raptor...dropped it in there..installed windows server 2008...SAME FREEZING ISSUE. WHAT GIVES???? ram passes memtest86+, ubuntu has NO issues

Next, i tried installed ESX 3.5i U2 on the ide, the sata port 1, sata port 5, sata port 2, ide master, SCSI (which still has yet to be seen, although i set it up correctly). SAME error (cannot find supported storage device. MCP55 is my chipset. It SHOULD be supported. I don't get it.

beyond that, everythign else is hunky dorky :)

that's ultra...i found that out the hard way a day or two before lol. I got U2 though :)

hard lock. . ultra, you are the MAN. i've search all around for that and i couldn't find it (i promise you, i did). here's to hoping it works!

21% and loading. Ultra, you da maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn

that leaves two problems left- SCSI with my LSI board and win2k8 "hard locks"

oh, i have LOTS of hard faults, when i was running some stuff, esp with some of the on board stuff. could that be causing my hard locks? i mean, i haven't even installed the drivers that cause the hard faults...

after this, my baby will be doonnneeeeee...well i will still need new cables for the dvi...but yyaayyyyy. here's to Windows in windows lol. actually wait..i hope this works...

on for 24 hours, two videos, 7 skype calls, some hulu action, 6 ISO creations and 1 CD burn. I THINK we solved the problem! :)

it wasn't an HDD issue, but a RAM issue. I went through an i twaked the ECC and RAM sections. Among things, I had the mobo set to max freq. Sadly, that is 800mhz. The ram i have is 667. I would have thought the mobo would just clock it down or something, but it didn't. Never had this issue before, but, its been going strong...and it never has lasted through 10 minutes of hulu or 20 minutes of video.

I posted my VMware issues here, but i mean, if its going to be nearly impossible for me to use my MCP55 chipset correctly or my ACARD 6880 or the LSI scsi, then i should just hypervisor with win 2k8 and call it a day. While i do not like this option as much, i do like...

...did that mofo just restart on me? that BETTER have been a windows update...

you know things suck when everything around your system is coming together PERFECTLY...excpet your main monster computer, and pride of your room styas disconnected becuase win2008server hardlocks.

I am wondering if this is an Nvidia issue, almost, or a possible bios issue. i state the latter because i know i have tried running my 2x 250gb RE2's in raid and neither linux or windows, during installion, paid it any mind.

If it isn't the HDD, the RAM, and this one particular OS is problematic....what am i missing.

also, does anyone have a solid on anything B3 stepping? I REALLY wanna run ESXi, and patryk, my guru friend, lives in queens....about 40 mins by car...which i no longer have.

Last edited:
it took me nearly 9 months...

i figured it out.

it was the NVRAID and possibly other chipset issues. I kid you not.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92076
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86686

If i installed without enabling the NVraid, AND undoing and deleting any current raids, it doesn't freeze...ever. i was shocked. and pissed...but shocked.

9 months and it was all nvidia's fault. CURSE YOU! Or microsoft...CURSE YOU BOTH!!!

Wow, how gay. I too am going to go the VMWare way and will probably have to deal with these headaches as well. I may post a log up 3x Intel Dual Port Gigabit NICs 2x 2347 on a Tyan S2915

it took me nearly 9 months...

i figured it out.

it was the NVRAID and possibly other chipset issues. I kid you not.
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92076
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=86686

If i installed without enabling the NVraid, AND undoing and deleting any current raids, it doesn't freeze...ever. i was shocked. and pissed...but shocked.

9 months and it was all nvidia's fault. CURSE YOU! Or microsoft...CURSE YOU BOTH!!!
haha ya I was reading this thread and I going to post the same thing but then you figured it out. On my asus l1n64 it was having hard freezes galore until one windows reinstall i purposely neglected installing the southbridge chipset drivers. it was stable then.

Back