Bought a 2080ti on Facebook marketplace and it started artifacting within a couple hours. see pics

Just confirmed it is going to be here Tuesday. Since this thing died i got an RTX 3080 10gb from a user here and it crushes anything i might find a few minutes to play.

I might just sell this thing. If I wanted to mine with it I could just get 2 2080TI's and be better off by 70+ MH, yes even with LHR unlocker.

Eh? a 3080ti does 120mh, a 2080ti does like 60?

When I've sold cards on ebay and the H forums, I have always offered the warranty to them (For as long as the warranty is valid) and shipped the card back in my name and they get an RMA card.

update.

MSI ghosted me for a couple weeks. When I emailed them they said there was physical damage and they couldn't issue a replacement so they will be sending broken card back.

I called and said the only "damage" done was to the sticker to open heatsink to replace thermal paste which I am allowed to do.

Got put on hold for 5 minutes.

They said they will send out a new 3080ti to replace. lets. freakin. GO.
They must be getting a significant % of RMA's in which cards have in some way been repasted or adjusted that they try to use the gatekeeper tactic to drive down how many are being honored with a NIB replacement.

Gaming puts a different load on GPUs that sometimes exposes faulty or damaged cards that may not have been detected in mining only scenarios. Besides cards that were damaged while mining, some cards were just never going to be game-capable in the first place, and when crypto crashes, these end up flooding RMA services that otherwise would have seen them trickle in over a 1-2 year period, instead of 1-2 months.

They must be getting a significant % of RMA's in which cards have in some way been repasted or adjusted that they try to use the gatekeeper tactic to drive down how many are being honored with a NIB replacement.

Gaming puts a different load on GPUs that sometimes exposes faulty or damaged cards that may not have been detected in mining only scenarios. Besides cards that were damaged while mining, some cards were just never going to be game-capable in the first place, and when crypto crashes, these end up flooding RMA services that otherwise would have seen them trickle in over a 1-2 year period, instead of 1-2 months.
Many of them do not honor warranties if you mine on the card. That's why unless you don't care you should stfu about any mining activity you're doing online.

Many of them do not honor warranties if you mine on the card. That's why unless you don't care you should stfu about any mining activity you're doing online.
I'm sure many call centers have scripts that have been meticulously crafted by lawyers to bait customers into making a statement that would nullify their claim.

With the amount of money most of these gpu vendors made during the crypto boom, they should honor every last claim regardless of situation, but wanton greed being a top down priority will always prevent certain companies from becoming consumer friendly enterprises.

I'm sure many call centers have scripts that have been meticulously crafted by lawyers to bait customers into making a statement that would nullify their claim.

With the amount of money most of these gpu vendors made during the crypto boom, they should honor every last claim regardless of situation, but wanton greed being a top down priority will always prevent certain companies from becoming consumer friendly enterprises.
Eh I disagree, if they don't want their cards used for mining then they don't have to warranty for them. Same thing like cars and racing, you have to buy special track day insurance if you want to race the car.

Eh I disagree, if they don't want their cards used for mining then they don't have to warranty for them. Same thing like cars and racing, you have to buy special track day insurance if you want to race the car.
Interesting take.

Grasping at straws. Track\Race are two separate things and some factory warranty's will cover track days but not racing. Race Insurance is more to cover expenses in a crash because racing against others significantly increases the risk of a crash and race cars cost a lot. Not like you need race insurance to race everywhere though liability waivers and all that.
Most modern cars are going to go into limp mode to prevent bigger problems if they detect problems such as overheating\sensors telling it something isn't right somewhere. Guess what modern GPU's also do?

Your logic though. GPU's are for games. What are they doing? Bunch of calculations for games to look pretty. Dat person no game on gpu. Make them pay more cause gpu do calculations but not make game look purdy. Gpu gon break doing calulatioms. MAKE PAY MORE@!!!

Warranties aren't insurance. Warranties are companies standing behind their product. Why the hell would your street driving insurance cover you on the track?
But if you drop a valve doing some hard shifting in turn three and your engine blows up on your hellcat, goddam right that's covered by warranty

Warranties aren't insurance. Warranties are companies standing behind their product. Why the hell would your street driving insurance cover you on the track?
But if you drop a valve doing some hard shifting in turn three and your engine blows up on your hellcat, goddam right that's covered by warranty
No, it's not covered by your warranty. That was my point.

Actually, any auto manufacturer will deny a warranty if there is any evidence the failure happened at a track/drag strip. FCA in particular..

I suppose consumer protection laws vary.
This is why any street legal vehicle sold by pretty much every manufacturer has pretty clear language in the warranty which doesn't cover any off-street (track, strip, etc) and/or competitive event the car is used in. This is completely valid under the law. You don't buy a street vehicle for track purposes and expect a warranty to cover it. Don't be the idiot who thinks their street legal car is a 'track' car. It isn't. Even models that claim to be. It's all marketing BS. Unless you're buying a manufacturer spec car, it's not a track car with a real warranty. Period.

I'd argue the same goes for GPU's. If you seriously need to do number crunching/mining and need a warranty & guarantee of performance, you buy something like a A100.

Last edited:
Back