Bought a 1055T at Fry's B&M, open it to find it used

homerandabe69

Limp Gawd
i bought this today as part of a combo deal which included the 880gma-e45 mobo and i opened the cpu box to find its been used. it looks like the previous owner opened it from the bottom and then returned it as unopened as the carboard strip on top was intact. i opened the box to find that the guy didnt even have the courtesy to clean off the thermal paste from the heatsink and left some of it on the processor. i really hope frys will let me return this for a new one that is actually new.

Return it and if they give you a hard time, raise a shit storm.

they will do exactly the same thing they did with the person that returned it.. they really dont ask questions except what was wrong and if everything is in the box.. then they ask if you want an exchange or credit and slap a sticker on the box and give you a piece of paper to grab a new one and hit the check out stand to exchange it..

well that is somewhat of a relief. i am worried they might try to charge a restocking fee because i opened the top of it though. i dont need to be spending more money on parts i can already hardly afford.

Frys return policy is pretty liberal - i was there returning something and a guy brought in a PC without original box and it looked abused. they let him return it for store credit.

well that is somewhat of a relief. i am worried they might try to charge a restocking fee because i opened the top of it though. i dont need to be spending more money on parts i can already hardly afford.

nope they dont do a restocking fee.. because everything thats returned goes through a test facility(or so they claim) and then thrown right back on the shelf..

i bought this today as part of a combo deal which included the 880gma-e45 mobo and i opened the cpu box to find its been used. it looks like the previous owner opened it from the bottom and then returned it as unopened as the carboard strip on top was intact. i opened the box to find that the guy didnt even have the courtesy to clean off the thermal paste from the heatsink and left some of it on the processor. i really hope frys will let me return this for a new one that is actually new.

Had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday with the same combo deal. Out of curiosity, you wouldn't be located in metro Atlanta, would you?

Had the same exact thing happen to me yesterday with the same combo deal. Out of curiosity, you wouldn't be located in metro Atlanta, would you?

southern california. i took it back and they accepted it without any question but apparently only had open box returns left. when the chip was inspected it had a good 20 severely bent pins on it. i had the guy inspect the open box chip thoroughly before i took one of the returns and it works great.

southern california. i took it back and they accepted it without any question but apparently only had open box returns left. when the chip was inspected it had a good 20 severely bent pins on it. i had the guy inspect the open box chip thoroughly before i took one of the returns and it works great.

good to see your back up and running..

San Marcos? Because I've had issues with them doing that before when I lived down here. The Fry's in Renton, WA is much better from experience (Living in the Pac NW now)

San Marcos? Because I've had issues with them doing that before when I lived down here. The Fry's in Renton, WA is much better from experience (Living in the Pac NW now)

im actually depressed there are 0 computer stores here in spokane.. makes me want to move back to pos california..

the manhattan beach one. tried to get in on the 50 dollar athlon x3 combo yesterday but was apparently sold out real early

That is the one i used. I've only bought one cpu/mb combo from them and the cpu was nib.

Sorry I didn't read all the responses but,

Fry's always repackages items and even shrink wraps them to put back on the shelf. I've returned many things and they won't have a problem replacing it for you.

I work there, you can blame people for just trying shit out, I am not saying everyone does it but people have no decency sometime, this guy tried to return the same cpu and my manager asked me to go check out if everything is intact on the motherboard and the cpu. The guy was returning the combo with a brand new board missing all the accessories and io shield and the 1090T didn't even had the protective foam thing that goes under the pins, and there was thermal paste all over the fucking box. I looked at the guy I was like," Sir I would have no problem taking it back but if you on this side of the counter would you take it back, I took the processor back because the pins weren't damaged or anything but returning brand new board with no accessories is just plain wrong. I told the manager incharge in returns if he wants to take this shit back this shit better not get put back on the shelf cuz the next person who buys it, he is going to have to live with this crap. We opened up a brand new board and showed the guy what it came with and he finally felt stupid for arguing and said he will bring everything back.

We have people that say this, " OH if it doesn't work I will just return it I got 15 days." what can you say to that? Usually when I sell the processors by themselves they always come back I don't know even though I ask the customer if they have the latest bios or they atleast have a good mobo with AM3 socket. People just wanna stick this shit in old boards and expect it to work. Not everyone is like US here who does all their homework before upgrading their cpu.

we basically take the customers word, if they say there is something wrong we send it back to store 82 where everything is tested before it goes back to the Vendor. If it tests out fine, it will be shipped back to the store it was sent from.

Just take your cpu back and hope they have a new one. 1090T's are hard to come by we don't carry a whole lot of them at one time, I have seen max of 9 in stock at any given day.

Last edited:
I work there, you can blame people for just trying shit out, I am not saying everyone does it but people have no decency sometime, this guy tried to return the same cpu and my manager asked me to go check out if everything is intact on the motherboard and the cpu. The guy was returning the combo with a brand new board missing all the accessories and io shield and the 1090T didn't even had the protective foam thing that goes under the pins, and there was thermal paste all over the fucking box. I looked at the guy I was like," Sir I would have no problem taking it back but if you on this side of the counter would you take it back, I took the processor back because the pins weren't damaged or anything but returning brand new board with no accessories is just plain wrong. I told the manager incharge in returns if he wants to take this shit back this shit better not get put back on the shelf cuz the next person who buys it, he is going to have to live with this crap. We opened up a brand new board and showed the guy what it came with and he finally felt stupid for arguing and said he will bring everything back.

We have people that say this, " OH if it doesn't work I will just return it I got 15 days." what can you say to that? Usually when I sell the processors by themselves they always come back I don't know even though I ask the customer if they have the latest bios or they atleast have a good mobo with AM3 socket. People just wanna stick this shit in old boards and expect it to work. Not everyone is like US here who does all their homework before upgrading their cpu.

we basically take the customers word, if they say there is something wrong we send it back to store 82 where everything is tested before it goes back to the Vendor. If it tests out fine, it will be shipped back to the store it was sent from.

Just take your cpu back and hope they have a new one. 1090T's are hard to come by we don't carry a whole lot of them at one time, I have seen max of 9 in stock at any given day.

there are quite a few dumb people that shop at frys i noticed. the employees i talked to seemed to be knowledgeable and very helpful though so that was nice.

wow you can return cpus - that is liberal -

Microcenter stopped taking returns on motherboards. exchange only. and retail cpus - you have to deal with the manufacturer.

wow you can return cpus - that is liberal -

Microcenter stopped taking returns on motherboards. exchange only. and retail cpus - you have to deal with the manufacturer.

But that is the problem, you see. Allowing the return of CPU only means the system will be exploited, and the victims are the unknowing people who legitimately buy what they thought was a new CPU. I like Microcenter's policy, which is why I sorta don't buy combos from Fry's unless I think the risk is outweighed by the saving.

People just wanna stick this shit in old boards and expect it to work.

Does anyone bother to ask them if they are sure they have the right mobo? No of course not because you just want to sell, get that shit out the door no matter what it takes. Recommending that people go home and make sure they can use it losing a sale, you lose commission (maybe?) and probably will get you on the wrong side of management. Nothing quite like walking through a best buy and listening to the employees selling stuff, they will tell any lie to sell whatever it is.

nope they dont do a restocking fee.. because everything thats returned goes through a test facility(or so they claim) and then thrown right back on the shelf..

Nope, some of it get tested by the return asscoiates themselves. CPUs, Desktop Ram, Hard drives, and Computers all get tested. The rest do not. Routers just get thrown back in the box for example.

Also, they do charge a restocking fee on some items, or if an item gets returned missing some parts, there is sometimes a fee, depends on the who the supervisor is at the time, some are more lenient than others.

Frys return policy is pretty liberal - i was there returning something and a guy brought in a PC without original box and it looked abused. they let him return it for store credit.

It depends. I've returned items and had to cough up 15% simply because it COULD have been opened. It was a USB 2.0 card that was just in a plastic case with no stickers to indicate it was opened. It wasn't and I just purchased it because I thought the mainboard I was going to use didn't support 2.0

Does anyone bother to ask them if they are sure they have the right mobo? No of course not because you just want to sell, get that shit out the door no matter what it takes. Recommending that people go home and make sure they can use it losing a sale, you lose commission (maybe?) and probably will get you on the wrong side of management. Nothing quite like walking through a best buy and listening to the employees selling stuff, they will tell any lie to sell whatever it is.

didnt best buy move off of the Commission system a while ago ? Atleast I think the store near me did (Though I did walk into a Staples the other day and heard a load of it when i walked through the computer area to get to the back of the store.....)

anyhow, glad to hear the OP made it out all right with a working/good CPU...OC the snot out of it and enjoy

I picked up the 1055t combo from Fry's in Sac a few weeks ago. First the associate kept telling me what a mistake I was making by not buying the i5 (does Intel pay them a commission?). Then he goes to the shelf and gives me a lower end board than on the ad. I smile, say thanks while muttering under my breath, and then grab the correct board.

I feel sorry for the uneducated folks out there as they can really get hosed at Fry's and Best Buy.

I picked up the 1055t combo from Fry's in Sac a few weeks ago. First the associate kept telling me what a mistake I was making by not buying the i5 (does Intel pay them a commission?). Then he goes to the shelf and gives me a lower end board than on the ad. I smile, say thanks while muttering under my breath, and then grab the correct board.

I feel sorry for the uneducated folks out there as they can really get hosed at Fry's and Best Buy.
It is true that we're paid on commission, but the actual amount on processors (and motherboards) is extremely negligible. (Can't even buy a Coke). He was probably giving you his actual opinion. (After all, unless you're running applications like h.264 encoding which actually use 6 cores, i5s are better last I checked.) Also, handing you the wrong board just makes more work for him; if you had gotten to the register, the cashier would have seen you had the wrong item number, and they would have made him walk the correct one up to you.

Then he goes to the shelf and gives me a lower end board than on the ad. I smile, say thanks while muttering under my breath, and then grab the correct board.
The quote that gets rung up at the register only has the "correct" board. <sniff, sniff> Doesn't pass.

just curious, how can you open the box from the bottom and the seal is left untouched? i thought intel and AMD retail boxes are sealed from both sides, no?

just curious, how can you open the box from the bottom and the seal is left untouched? i thought intel and AMD retail boxes are sealed from both sides, no?

most places that take returns dont look at that hard at the boxes.. they see the tops still sealed so they throw it back on the shelf.. if it was opened then it would be sent to the test center to be checked before being put back on the shelf(at least thats what fry's claims)..

lol im banned from the Fry's in sac and in concord(even though i originally worked at the one in concord for 5 1/2 months).. :D because i got sick of listening to idiots that worked there giving piss poor advise to people which was actually going to cost the person more money for an even shittier product.. got so sick of hearing them recommend maxtor drives to people when there was a WD or seagate drive twice the capacity for the same bloody price.. or recommending ECS motherboards that cost the same as gigabyte and asus boards.. thats the kinda crap that causes you to lose customers not gain customers..

Last edited:
most places that take returns dont look at that hard at the boxes.. they see the tops still sealed so they throw it back on the shelf.. if it was opened then it would be sent to the test center to be checked before being put back on the shelf(at least thats what fry's claims)..
The test center is right there next to the returns desk; they keep a motherboard of each socket type, a power supply, RAM, a video card, and one of these on a desk near the clerks. You just drop the proc in, assemble it up real quick, and see if it POSTs correctly.

Store 82 isn't for testing, it's where they send stuff that they know is bad; from there it goes back to the manufacturer.

The test center is right there next to the returns desk; they keep a motherboard of each socket type, a power supply, RAM, a video card, and one of these on a desk near the clerks. You just drop the proc in, assemble it up real quick, and see if it POSTs correctly.

Store 82 isn't for testing, it's where they send stuff that they know is bad; from there it goes back to the manufacturer.

yeah i know.. i use to work for fry's.. lol hence why i keep saying so they claim/say.. because 9 times out of 10 times nothings tested.. they just slap a sticker on it saying it was and put it back on the shelf..

yeah i know.. i use to work for fry's.. lol hence why i keep saying so they claim/say.. because 9 times out of 10 times nothings tested.. they just slap a sticker on it saying it was and put it back on the shelf..
Part of the problem is half the time the returns associates and/or whichever manager whose turn it is to babysit the returns desk aren't versed in the product at all, so they don't know the right questions to ask to poke holes in fibs customers intentionally returning broken stuff tell.

Part of the problem is half the time the returns associates and/or whichever manager whose turn it is to babysit the returns desk aren't versed in the product at all, so they don't know the right questions to ask to poke holes in fibs customers intentionally returning broken stuff tell.

true and a lot of it is just the lack of caring since most people that work at fry's really dont want to work there.. or they are just sick of dealing with idiot customers that constantly try to pull the "are you calling me stupid" card when you ask them what was wrong with the product.. that irritated me the most..

true and a lot of it is just the lack of caring since most people that work at fry's really dont want to work there.. or they are just sick of dealing with idiot customers that constantly try to pull the "are you calling me stupid" card when you ask them what was wrong with the product.. that irritated me the most..
I imagine it's a wearing position. That's probably why returns clerks are the highest paid pure hourly guys and don't have to close - compensation.

Not so drastic.Just explain what happened and you should be alright.You have proof right there in your hand.

actually, he has hard, empirical proof of absolutely nothing unless he hadn't left the store yet and opened it in the store, they "could" say he took it home,opened it and applied the thermal paste himself, hopefully they won't, but they could if they wanted to...

actually, he has hard, empirical proof of absolutely nothing unless he hadn't left the store yet and opened it in the store, they "could" say he took it home,opened it and applied the thermal paste himself, hopefully they won't, but they could if they wanted to...

True. But fry's has the most lenient return policy of any store. I have seen people successfully return stuff 6 months to a year old at the fry's I work at.

Yea did you even read my whole dam post, no. The damn processor pays us 10 cents, yea you read that right. Here is what some customers say, 'Oh if it doesn't work I will return it, I got 15 days right" what the fuck are you suppose to say to that. I fuckin hate it when people think that every sales guy lies to a customer and just wants to sell shit to make commission, we get hit too. Ofcourse there are sales guys that will sell shit without qualifying a customer and I know sales guys like that but not all of them do so, They usually do it on high ticket items but not on a processor that pays you 10 cents. Like I said most people will say ok I will go home and see if my board supports it, but it is the ignorant few that will say if it doesn't work I will bring it back just let me have it. I can't say sir sorry you can't have it now get the fuck out. A job is a job I support my self through school so sorry I make commission but to assume that we lie to customers to make commission is just plain wrong.

Have you met people that rent Navigation systems from frys and return it 3 weeks later becuase they don't like a fucking icon. Fry's takes everything back so I don't even write shit up if I think it is going to come back. I honestly have no problem with people if frys is going to take everything back, I just go to work do my job and go home. Yes I absolutely hate my job for what I see there and how things are done. But a job is a job and I gotta do it until I graduate from school. We have goals to meet like frys credit cards and warranties and shit, I don't force it down peoples throat but I am pretty good at my job and It is my job to ask everyone, I almost got fired because I didn't ask a secret shopper about a warranty and didn't offer him another cable or accessory with a router which already comes with the fuckin router.

Jobs arent flying around out there so you can't just say sorry I am gonna quit and fuck my self over and not pay my bills and drop out of school.

Yea did you even read my whole dam post, no. The damn processor pays us 10 cents, yea you read that right. Here is what some customers say, 'Oh if it doesn't work I will return it, I got 15 days right" what the fuck are you suppose to say to that. I fuckin hate it when people think that every sales guy lies to a customer and just wants to sell shit to make commission, we get hit too. Ofcourse there are sales guys that will sell shit without qualifying a customer and I know sales guys like that but not all of them do so, They usually do it on high ticket items but not on a processor that pays you 10 cents. Like I said most people will say ok I will go home and see if my board supports it, but it is the ignorant few that will say if it doesn't work I will bring it back just let me have it. I can't say sir sorry you can't have it now get the fuck out. A job is a job I support my self through school so sorry I make commission but to assume that we lie to customers to make commission is just plain wrong.

Have you met people that rent Navigation systems from frys and return it 3 weeks later becuase they don't like a fucking icon. Fry's takes everything back so I don't even write shit up if I think it is going to come back. I honestly have no problem with people if frys is going to take everything back, I just go to work do my job and go home. Yes I absolutely hate my job for what I see there and how things are done. But a job is a job and I gotta do it until I graduate from school. We have goals to meet like frys credit cards and warranties and shit, I don't force it down peoples throat but I am pretty good at my job and It is my job to ask everyone, I almost got fired because I didn't ask a secret shopper about a warranty and didn't offer him another cable or accessory with a router which already comes with the fuckin router.

Jobs arent flying around out there so you can't just say sorry I am gonna quit and fuck my self over and not pay my bills and drop out of school.

Just curious, but did you get up on the left or right side of the bed this morning?

i took it back and they accepted it without any question but apparently only had open box returns left. i had the guy inspect the open box chip thoroughly before i took one of the returns and it works great.

I hope that they refunded a portion of your original purchase price, as I believe open box buys are cheaper?

I mean, you originally bought what was supposed to be NEW. And you have been forced to settle for something that was Open Box.

Back