Bought 2017 MBP, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by ///AMG, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

I just went out and bought the new 2017 15" MBP, its been a long time since I have used my 2008 Macbook Pro (still have it, still works). I bought it mostly for media consumption and light work. Just want to know what applications/programs you guys recommend checking out and what are you most useful tips and tricks.

2. ChristianVirtual

ChristianVirtual [H]ard DCOTM March 2016

Congrats; but what do you mean with light work ? It's difficult to suggest anything without a bit more background.

Two tools i always install are DaisyDisk and 1password (neutral from any work).
    Then pixelmator for image processing and OneNote for note taking.

3. ///AMG

///AMG 2[H]4U

Light work as in word processing, spreadsheets and some development work if I need to on the go. Everything else I do on my dekstop or my work computer.

4. Brian_B

Brian_B Gawd

I use MS Office for productivity - 365 gives you access to both OS X and Windows versions (on up to 5 machines).

There are free suites (libreoffice, etc), but I've never found them to work well. I've also never really given Apple's versions a chance, mostly because it's a huge pain trying to maintain compatibility inside our office with Office formats.

I use VMWare Fusion to run Windows when I absolutely need it, but that's mostly just for some PLC programming, MS Project, and other specific stuff.

I do run Chrome instead of Safari. Safari is ok, I'm just used to Chrome now.

I run Apple's default Mail, with SpamSieve as an add-on filter. I use Apple's default Preview for PDF work, and Apple's default console Terminal.

For text editing/light dev work, it's hard to beat TextWrangler, or it's bigger brother, BBEdit. SequelPro for direct MySQL/Maria access.

I use a program called Yummy FTP for GUI SFTP/FTP access, it's served me well for a long time.

I used to use GIMP for image stuff, but I haven't run it in a long time because I haven't done any graphics/photo work for a long time

1password is nice as well, it syncs with iPhone, making it doubly good.

Factorio is the only game I need on OS X.

95% of my time on my MBP is probably spent between Excel, Mail, Preview, and Terminal.

5. VRT

VRT Limp Gawd

I had to buy a new one last week and wasn't happy, I got the 15" touch bar with discrete graphics 1TB etc. I had a 2015 15" discreet graphics 1TB SSD 15GB ram that was stolen the weekend prior. I usually upgrade every cycle but haven't and wasn't going to due to the lack of 32GB of RAM.

Everybody in my company uses a MBP most also have iPad/iPhone. I also have a 12" MB and iPad Pro. I really like the 12" when I don't feel like carrying the 15" around. We are mostly Unix based and this gives us the option of running either windows or a very polished Unix based system. Also the build quality and the life time is much better IMHO than Dell/Lenovo/HP. The only downfall that we have is the lack of a true docking station such as what is offered with the other systems.

6. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard [H]ard|Gawd

Don't have an MBP, at the moment, but whenever I own or use one, the first app I install is QuickRes.

https://www.thnkdev.com/QuickRes/

It gives you full control of all the screen resolution options for your MBP.