Bought 2017 MBP, suggestions?

///AMG

2[H]4U
I just went out and bought the new 2017 15" MBP, its been a long time since I have used my 2008 Macbook Pro (still have it, still works). I bought it mostly for media consumption and light work. Just want to know what applications/programs you guys recommend checking out and what are you most useful tips and tricks.

I just went out and bought the new 2017 15" MBP, its been a long time since I have used my 2008 Macbook Pro (still have it, still works). I bought it mostly for media consumption and light work. Just want to know what applications/programs you guys recommend checking out and what are you most useful tips and tricks.
Congrats; but what do you mean with light work ? It's difficult to suggest anything without a bit more background.

Two tools i always install are DaisyDisk and 1password (neutral from any work).
Then pixelmator for image processing and OneNote for note taking.

Congrats; but what do you mean with light work ? It's difficult to suggest anything without a bit more background.

Two tools i always install are DaisyDisk and 1password (neutral from any work).
Then pixelmator for image processing and OneNote for note taking.

Light work as in word processing, spreadsheets and some development work if I need to on the go. Everything else I do on my dekstop or my work computer.

I use MS Office for productivity - 365 gives you access to both OS X and Windows versions (on up to 5 machines).

There are free suites (libreoffice, etc), but I've never found them to work well. I've also never really given Apple's versions a chance, mostly because it's a huge pain trying to maintain compatibility inside our office with Office formats.

I use VMWare Fusion to run Windows when I absolutely need it, but that's mostly just for some PLC programming, MS Project, and other specific stuff.

I do run Chrome instead of Safari. Safari is ok, I'm just used to Chrome now.

I run Apple's default Mail, with SpamSieve as an add-on filter. I use Apple's default Preview for PDF work, and Apple's default console Terminal.

For text editing/light dev work, it's hard to beat TextWrangler, or it's bigger brother, BBEdit. SequelPro for direct MySQL/Maria access.

I use a program called Yummy FTP for GUI SFTP/FTP access, it's served me well for a long time.

I used to use GIMP for image stuff, but I haven't run it in a long time because I haven't done any graphics/photo work for a long time

1password is nice as well, it syncs with iPhone, making it doubly good.

Factorio is the only game I need on OS X.

95% of my time on my MBP is probably spent between Excel, Mail, Preview, and Terminal.

I had to buy a new one last week and wasn't happy, I got the 15" touch bar with discrete graphics 1TB etc. I had a 2015 15" discreet graphics 1TB SSD 15GB ram that was stolen the weekend prior. I usually upgrade every cycle but haven't and wasn't going to due to the lack of 32GB of RAM.

Everybody in my company uses a MBP most also have iPad/iPhone. I also have a 12" MB and iPad Pro. I really like the 12" when I don't feel like carrying the 15" around. We are mostly Unix based and this gives us the option of running either windows or a very polished Unix based system. Also the build quality and the life time is much better IMHO than Dell/Lenovo/HP. The only downfall that we have is the lack of a true docking station such as what is offered with the other systems.

Back