Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

I am coming to the conclusion that I will need this game on PS4. The save system sucks ass. On PS4 at least I can pause where ever the fuck I like and resume by turning it on later.

WTF? So many issues. With the controls, exiting the game, saving your game.

So what exactly did all these high reviews come from? Did they even play the game before giving the ratings?

So sad, this game was lookin pretty good. Now its all horseshit.

So what exactly did all these high reviews come from? Did they even play the game before giving the ratings?

spend some time remapping and getting used to the gameplay...the mission right after the Prologue is where I spent a lot of time just getting comfortable with the layout and mechanics...once you have that down, the rest of the game becomes much more enjoyable

With Xbox 360 controller there are literally no issues. The exiting game issue I am also not aware of. It is quite straight forward. The saves are checkpoint based which for an open world game kills it FOR ME. It is not an issue and many people are playing it just fine.

However, I have very strong ADD and also a toddler running around and I want to be able to pause the game when I like including in cutscenes, tapes, or mid mission. This is a features "I" want and not really an issue. So I am going to simply buy it on PS4. On PC the game was anyways free for me so no harm done.

You can pause it whenever you want during gameplay, tapes, and cutscenes. Just press 'Select' and you can pick up wherever you left off.

what? You can pause on pc just as well, it's called the escape key....

Then you can alt tab and do whatever you want (matter of fact that's what I'm doing right now, checking emails/forums while it's paused in the background).

I think you guys miss the point. I don't want to pause the game. I want to be able to exit and resume without having my system have high utilization.

The ps4 uses the same checkpoitn type of saving tihe pc version does, I do not get what you're asking.

If I turn my ps4 off and back on the game isn't where I left it, most use a checkpoint system.

It is not about the game using a different system. It is ability of the ps4 to save a game state and be turned off and resume from exactly where you left.

Sorry wasn't explicit what I said before.

That applies to any checkpoint-based game, then, and even in games with quick save etc you can't save and resume in the middle of cutscenes or other events. It pretty much rules out all of PC gaming for you.

This game makes me watch the century long intro video every boot up. What's the deal?

This game makes me watch the century long intro video every boot up. What's the deal?

You should be able to skip to the title screen after the forced Nvidia screen and that other stuff. I always press space bar, enter, and my mouse button a few times and it takes me past that forced stuff right to the title menu. I don't know if I'm really making a difference on it but that's what I'm seeing. Past the hospital phase.

if you're referring to that long cutscene in the hospital bed- that goes away once you finish the Prologue...you can also skip it by hitting Escape and the 'Skip' option

if you're referring to that long cutscene in the hospital bed- that goes away once you finish the Prologue...you can also skip it by hitting Escape and the 'Skip' option

Yes, to their credit they do give people that nice option on most cutscenes if they want it.

I wouldn't mind being able to get rid of those forced splash screens when we fire the game up... the Nvidia one and the other stuff you see before hitting the main menu.

I'll try the usual Steam skipintro trick and see if it works.

I wouldn't mind being able to get rid of those forced splash screens when we fire the game up... the Nvidia one and the other stuff you see before hitting the main menu

the splash screens aren't too bad in my opinion...I've seen much worse

I'm right past the prologue now. The set pieces and the atmosphere is damn awesome.

I'm right past the prologue now. The set pieces and the atmosphere is damn awesome.

I think it's an amazing game and easily on the GOTY shortlist for me and will likely be the case for many others.

It's either going to be this game or Fallout 4 for GOTY for me. The only thing holding The Witcher 3 back is that the game becomes way too easy after White Orchard and unless Bethesda does something drastic to the gameplay in Fallout 4, I also expect the combat to become too easy after the first few hours as with all their previous games.

I just hit 'Select' -> Exit to Title Screen -> Exit to Desktop which takes 5 seconds.

I went back to complete some of the side objectives in one of the early missions...was confusing because they wanted me to extract some Commander but I didn't know who or where he was...plus I thought he was being held prisoner...turns out I killed him by accident...the Commanders apparently all wear red berets...will try that objective again later

Finally filled out my custom soundtrack, rocking out to classic 80's tunes, I didn't restrict my soundtrack to <84 or earlier like I see a lot of people with custom soundtracks do, since the base game doesn't either (IE The Final Countdown is one of the cassettes you can find, and it was released in 86.

Something surreal about sneaking through the desert at dawn listening to voyage voyage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PDmZnG8KsM

Also throw in some classic Front 242
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1cRGVaJF7Y

and Sisters of Mercy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

and Blue Oyster Cult (This song seems quite fitting for the game actually)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCCdUB7D10U

What are some songs you guys are using for your custom soundtrack?

If you didn't know about it, it's only for pc, but you can go to your base game folder (steamapps>common>mgs TPP) and you should see a "custom soundtrack" folder, just drop the music in there. It only supports mp3 sadly (so no flac :( ).

Last edited:
Damn Side Ops, feeding my ADD, I've done like 5 hours of side ops and totally didn't notice I wasn't moving the story at all. But it's so much fun just going where ever you want and kidnapping everyone. And collecting mats... this is scratching my MMO itch. I gotta go back to the main missions lol.

So XBOX controller the way to go here?

I'm using DualShock 4, you wont have button prompts, but if you know both controller layouts well, its not an issue.

Damn Side Ops, feeding my ADD, I've done like 5 hours of side ops and totally didn't notice I wasn't moving the story at all. But it's so much fun just going where ever you want and kidnapping everyone. And collecting mats... this is scratching my MMO itch. I gotta go back to the main missions lol

been busy and haven't had much time to play...but now that Labor Day weekend is here, I'm going to play a lot...I just finished the Mother Base tutorial and I was given the option to choose my next Mission...so any Missions listed in the main 'Missions' screen is part of the main story?...and all side Missions are Side Ops?

been busy and haven't had much time to play...but now that Labor Day weekend is here, I'm going to play a lot...I just finished the Mother Base tutorial and I was given the option to choose my next Mission...so any Missions listed in the main 'Missions' screen is part of the main story?...and all side Missions are Side Ops?

Pretty much.
The Side Ops missions are focused on "acquiring" a specific high skilled soldier, or find some specific item somewhere and things like that. But thats all they tell you. Up to you how you find them/stuff, which is where my enjoyment is coming from. I can tell they're made for building up your squad and amassing mad money, cause that seems to be the current side..effect. :)

So XBOX controller the way to go here?

That's pretty much the case for any game that you can use a controller for. GTA 5, Witcher 3, Any fighting games, Assassins Creed games, Shadows of Mordor, etc. They all work out of the box flawlessly with the Xbox remote. I use this exact model and have never had a single game not instantly recognize it and work perfectly. The Xbox remote is definitely the most supported that I've ever seen.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
in the Mission Lists there are optional Mission Tasks but they are all greyed out except for the main mission...I can only see the optional objectives after I complete the mission...is there any way of seeing the optional tasks while in the mission for the first time or do they want you to explore the entire area and discover them yourself?

A stupid question but do the enemies respawn? I am not far into the game but it seems like baddies are everywhere and all I can do is just crawl around or be crouched all the time.

Are you asking about the "optional" mission objectives in the main missions?

Yeah you don't see them all when you first do the mission, you can either try and figure them out yourself (question guards and things can help point you out to blueprints or things) as well taking out things like communications/AA towers.

Really though if you want to do all of them you either will have to google them or just replay the mission. There are some missions that are REALLY hard to do the "optional" objectives without some things you don't get until much later in tihe game.

Are you asking about the "optional" mission objectives in the main missions?

Yeah you don't see them all when you first do the mission, you can either try and figure them out yourself (question guards and things can help point you out to blueprints or things) as well taking out things like communications/AA towers.

Really though if you want to do all of them you either will have to google them or just replay the mission. There are some missions that are REALLY hard to do the "optional" objectives without some things you don't get until much later in tihe game.

thanks...yeah I find myself replaying a bunch of missions because I want to get more of those optional objectives...they should make them viewable from the first time you start any mission as finding them on your own seems very tedious...seems like when replaying the missions they give you credit for completing the optional objectives even without completing the main objective again

Read something today that said the retail version of MGS V only contains the Steam installer. Yes, an 8MB file burnt onto a Blu-ray. If they were going to be this wasteful why not use a CDROM and save some money?

SOURCE

Talk about a disappointing retail purchase. There is zero point.

the game is excellent but if you go into the missions guns blazing it's fairly easy...with Reflex mode, unlimited supply drops, support helicopters etc...going for a Stealth completion is where it becomes challenging which I'm guessing is how they really want you to play

Yea, the missions are definitely meant to be done in stealth for the true experience. I turned off reflex mode since the slowdown is more annoying than helpful especially when I'm cruising around free-roam and wanna run people over in my jeep. I also find CQC and falcon punching people more fun without reflex mode getting in the way.

I played the original nes metal gear. Never played a solid game. Will I be able to get into this? Story?

Back