Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

Anyone figure out how to "Roll" with kb/m?

The "hints" it gives you are all for the consoles, it says to hold the left stick and push it in...but yeah, that isn't possible on a kb, can't figure out how to do it.

Also how do you pass time /use tools? The keybindings mentions nothing about how to use it and it'snot in your quick-items (IE 1-2-3-4, etc).

Has anyone here purchased and activated an Nvidia voucher code (or a copy of the game from somewhere else, like GreenManGaming) post release? If so, did it include with Venom Snake Emblem, and the other items included in the pre-order DLC, sans Ground Zeroes?

My Metal Gear experience is limited to playing some of the original NES when I was a kid. So I'm pretty much a MG virgin.

After seeing the great reviews, I decided to get Phantom Pain.

Just finished the prologue and...

1) That was amazing!
2) What the hell is going on? :)

Last edited:
anyone figure out how to sign into online mode? it said something about to sign in through the action control center (acc), i cant find anything that even resembles that.

ive gotta say the game runs amazing on pc. 1920x1200 8xaa (forced through control panel) and everything set to max, and its stuck right at 60fps.

Has anyone here purchased and activated an Nvidia voucher code (or a copy of the game from somewhere else, like GreenManGaming) post release? If so, did it include with Venom Snake Emblem, and the other items included in the pre-order DLC, sans Ground Zeroes?

I activated the Nvidia code...I don't see any DLC but the developers stated that we should get all the pre-order DLC except for Ground Zeroes...I did receive some emblems and such when I started up the game but that was because I uploaded my Ground Zeroes save file which unlocked a few things

Anyone figure out how to "Roll" with kb/m?

The "hints" it gives you are all for the consoles, it says to hold the left stick and push it in...but yeah, that isn't possible on a kb, can't figure out how to do it.

Also how do you pass time /use tools? The keybindings mentions nothing about how to use it and it'snot in your quick-items (IE 1-2-3-4, etc).

If it's like GZ then you have to keep holding right mouse to aim your weapon and then tap shift+A or D to roll. The timing is pretty funky though.

You can pass time by smoking your phantom cigar.

anyone figure out how to sign into online mode? it said something about to sign in through the action control center (acc), i cant find anything that even resembles that.

You need to have unlocked Mother Base and when you're chilling in the helicopter between missions that is the ACC screen then you just go to your menu options to enable Online. I just left it Offline cause the loading is way faster.

I'm interested in MGSV's performance on lower to mid-range GPUs. I've been waiting a year for prices of 970s to go down to no avail and I'm still on Kepler.

I'm running a 2 GB 770, what type of performance should I expect at 1080p?

Thanks in advance.

Man, got past the first couple missions and everything is so opened up.

It's so much fun just going from one mission tot he next int eh world without going back to mother base and exploring everything.

Also Customizing your emblem/helicopter/base was pretty neat, there's a ton of unlockables to find for all of that.

BTW does anyone else have the game freeze up when they go to customize their emblem letters? When you switch to phonetic names, etc it like gets absurdly slow and basicaly makes it about impossible to browse/select things.

Also a tip, so no one makes the same mistake I did and waste 1000 on it.

When you do a mission to capture something, and you want to make sure they get out safe and think "I should probably take them to the helicopter like the kgame says to do if you want to 100% be sure the ymake it." Well nope, you don't.

All you have to do is simply put take them out of the mission area (easy on the back of D-horse) and they will automatically be fultoned out, you don't need tow aste your own fulton nor call in a heli for them.

I found this out the hard way when I loaded someone up on my horse, called in a heli a few hundred feet away and then watched as I rode toward the landing zone only to have them fly up and off the back of my horse on their own as the heli came down and I no longer needed it lol.

I activated the Nvidia code...I don't see any DLC but the developers stated that we should get all the pre-order DLC except for Ground Zeroes...I did receive some emblems and such when I started up the game but that was because I uploaded my Ground Zeroes save file which unlocked a few things

Did you activate the Nvidia code before or after the game itself launched on Steam? Did you receive the "Venom Snake" emblem? How about Mother Base Staff? (separate from the staff you may have gotten from importing your Ground Zeroes file. ). The pre-order DLC advertised on Steam besides GZ is the Venom Snake Emblem, Mother Base Staff, and some sort of collector's video (which may not be in game itself; I'm less concerned about this).

Did you activate the Nvidia code before or after the game itself launched on Steam? Did you receive the "Venom Snake" emblem? How about Mother Base Staff? (separate from the staff you may have gotten from importing your Ground Zeroes file. ). The pre-order DLC advertised on Steam besides GZ is the Venom Snake Emblem, Mother Base Staff, and some sort of collector's video (which may not be in game itself; I'm less concerned about this).

I activated the code before the game launched...I did receive the Mother Base Staff and Snake emblem...I also have the soundtrack in my PP Steam folder...I'm not sure which stuff came from the pre-order DLC and which came from the Ground Zeroes save upload

EDIT: I think the pre-order collector's video is located on the Steam page and is titled 'Metal Gear Solid Legacy'...it states the following: "Exclusive footage detailing the cultural legacy of the Metal Gear franchise as seen through the eyes of MGSV's main cast, game critics, journalists, and top-tier creators from both the game and film industries"

Last edited:
Is anyone else having an issue where key bindings reset every time you launch the game?

I believe its because the DS4 isnt officially supported on PC right? Also I read somewhere all the prompts on PC for controllers will correspond to Xbox controllers.

Actually PS4 controller works fine on PC without any drivers. Even the touchpad works as a mouse. It's more plug and play than the xbox controllers.

for anyone planning on playing Phantom Pain on an older CPU, note that the game requires SSE4.1 support and some older CPU's like AMD's Phenom II don't support it...Konami is looking into a fix but as of now the game crashes on load for those CPU's

EDIT: patch 1.002 fixed this issue

Last edited:
Actually PS4 controller works fine on PC without any drivers. Even the touchpad works as a mouse. It's more plug and play than the xbox controllers.

Mmm you sure about that? It didn't for me. I had to download DS4windows emulator to get the ps4 controller to work with windows 8.1. But with that running everything works, touch pad, rumble, etc. I also can run it with Bluetooth if you mate them. Not sure who told you it was plug and play.

Is anyone else having an issue where key bindings reset every time you launch the game?

beta Patch 1.003 supposedly fixed this...

"Fixed an issue where the settings in the "OPTIONS" > "KEY ASSIGNMENT" menu would revert to the default values when restarting the game"

They need to fix the keyboard mouse controls. Having the game prompt me to press square is fucking retarded.

I believe its because the DS4 isnt officially supported on PC right? Also I read somewhere all the prompts on PC for controllers will correspond to Xbox controllers.

Use InputMapper. DS4 will work perfectly via that.

They need to fix the keyboard mouse controls. Having the game prompt me to press square is fucking retarded.

I agree. I see several complaints along these lines that I would have posted myself if others hadn't beaten me to it.

For some reason I feel like I got along better in Ground Zeroes with KBM vs this but maybe not. I may whip out the controller today for grins and see how it goes.

Like how did anyone testing the PC version before release say that "yeah I don't know what button it wants me to press because I'm not using a controller. This is acceptable."

That is seriously amateur stuff that I would not expect from a triple A title.

Saw some update come through when I fired up Steam. No idea what it is.

Like how did anyone testing the PC version before release say that "yeah I don't know what button it wants me to press because I'm not using a controller. This is acceptable."

That is seriously amateur stuff that I would not expect from a triple A title.

I felt the same way when I fired it up last night. I also saw there is still no 21:9 support, but the engine can support it if you modify the game's executable per this thread on WSGF.

Have to agree with the complaints about the M K/B control scheme. Really need to get me a controller for this game Any recommendations?

I'd say get an xbox one controller. Just because of how it's natively supported and can quickly plug in and play. Whereas the ps4 controller you have to download other programs and set it up to use (basically making games think it's an xbox controller).

Just a lot less of a headache to use an xbox controller.

Last edited:
Is there a way to set up your own playlist (in game) from all the cassettes you pick up?

Some great songs I've found but they are on different cassetes and it's annoying having to switch cassettes and go through all the menu's.

Have to agree with the complaints about the M K/B control scheme. Really need to get me a controller for this game Any recommendations?

Keyboard and mouse seem to work fine. It's just annoying to see all the controller references when I'm not using one. Don't go to the dark side ;)

Thanks Stiler. lol Volkum, believe me I dont want too...but how do you access the controller settings for keyboard?, when I press escape and go to controller all it shows is xbox settings

Thanks Stiler. lol Volkum, believe me I dont want too...but how do you access the controller settings for keyboard?, when I press escape and go to controller all it shows is xbox settings

I thought there was a keyboard bindings menu somewhere inside the main menu. I'll have to check when I get home.

It's in the options menu, the very bottom selection, "Key bindings." That's where you can see what keys do what and change them.

BTW does anyone here know how you do a double takedown? Like when you have two guards standing side by side?

I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger uproar with the KB/M controls earlier when Ground Zeroes came out...while everyone was calling it this amazing port (and it was as far as performance) I found the controls sucked...no remapping of any of the NumPad keys (terrible for people like me who use the arrow keys for movement), no side mouse button support, no mouse scrolling in the menus (really is annoying in the Mother Base menu when there are tons of tabs to scroll through)...when interrogating suspects in GZ you literally had to press 3 keys at the same time...I eventually got used to the wonky controls but this will never be what I consider a flawless port

Mmm you sure about that? It didn't for me. I had to download DS4windows emulator to get the ps4 controller to work with windows 8.1. But with that running everything works, touch pad, rumble, etc. I also can run it with Bluetooth if you mate them. Not sure who told you it was plug and play.

It was for me on my Windows 7 HTPC. I'll go ahead and test again on my Windows 10 PC and see but 90% sure it is.

I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger uproar with the KB/M controls earlier when Ground Zeroes came out...while everyone was calling it this amazing port (and it was as far as performance) I found the controls sucked...no remapping of any of the NumPad keys (terrible for people like me who use the arrow keys for movement), no side mouse button support, no mouse scrolling in the menus (really is annoying in the Mother Base menu when there are tons of tabs to scroll through)...when interrogating suspects in GZ you literally had to press 3 keys at the same time...I eventually got used to the wonky controls but this will never be what I consider a flawless port

If the worst you can bitch about on a port is shitty keyboard/mouse control when the entire game is made for a controller......I'm gonna go with its a flawless port where it counts.

If the worst you can bitch about on a port is shitty keyboard/mouse control when the entire game is made for a controller......I'm gonna go with its a flawless port where it counts.

KB/M control is a part of a successful port...it can't be flawless with major remapping and control issues

KB/M control is a part of a successful port...it can't be flawless with major remapping and control issues

I agree... considering how great everyone was making it out to be... I was pretty disappointed with the controls. I've yet to try a controller, but kb/m is pretty clunky. I did not expect that considering I didn't hear anything and people tend to bitch easily.

Shitty keyboard/mouse control is a traditional hallmark of a poor port. It is definitely a highly weighted variable when judging a port's quality, IMO. After all, the keyboard and mouse are the preferred input controls for the vast, vast majority of PC games (perhaps except racing and flight sim games?).

BTW does anyone here know how you do a double takedown? Like when you have two guards standing side by side?

Just attack the first guy with a punch or throw and if you're close enough to the second, you'll get another prompt to melee again and you'll automatically attack the second.

Another good trick I think most people overlook is that you can just tranq someone and then go up to them and kick them to wake em up and interrogate them.

Shitty keyboard/mouse control is a traditional hallmark of a poor port. It is definitely a highly weighted variable when judging a port's quality, IMO. After all, the keyboard and mouse are the preferred input controls for the vast, vast majority of PC games (perhaps except racing and flight sim games?).

Meh.....after Gotham Knight.....I seriously disagree.

Interrogating prisoners has always been a clunky button-hold extravaganza in console MGS games.

Sucks about the menus; do you have to keep swiping your mouse or is there an option to hold down a key and scroll until released?

There probably wasn't a big uproar because people were using gamepads on the PC version. To me this is be like M+K/B support in a flight sim. I don't expect a flight sim to function well without a joystick, and I don't expect a game designed around a dual-analog gamepad with 10 buttons to function well without a gamepad. As long as the KB+mouse functions it has met the goal even if the experience is not ideal.

Last edited:
finally got around to playing tonight...finished the lengthy prologue and am now in Afghanistan...I like the character customization but I don't understand something...I don't seem to be playing as the character I just customized...instead I'm playing the other Boss character...what was the point in customizing him if I don't get to play him?...or is this a bug or maybe I get to play him later?

Back