Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

I've only just played GZ..... and tbh, I find the controls a bit clunky, and it sort of made playing it hard. How do you guys feel about the controls? Is it just me?

I ended up using both a 360 emulated controller (Logitech F710) and keyboard/mouse when I played though Ground Zeroes. The controller gets used for moving and sneaking around. If combat happens then it's keyboard/mouse time. Tons easier to aim and shoot using the mouse. Movement is a bit clunky with the keyboard but that's kind of less important when one has badguys to shoot.

do I need to enable HBAO+ specifically from the Phantom Pain profile (with the new Nvidia drivers) or will it work under Global Settings as well?...I almost never use Program specific settings and always tweak my Global Settings...and will future drivers also require the profile to work?

looking at the Nvidia Tweak guide there seems to be a pretty significant difference between the default SSAO versus the Nvidia driver exclusive HBAO+...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...m-pain-nvidia-control-panel-ambient-occlusion

I would say it's safer to do it under a profile vs global. Nvidia isn't really that great about communicating changes to older games' profiles, so it may indeed be lost in a future driver update. It's a pretty high profile game so I would hope they don't mess it up.

I plan to go into Nvidia inspector and make the changes to AO there - export it and reapply whenever I update the driver.

I've not installed TPP as of yet, but I'm glad to report that, just like Ground Zeroes, PC players have the option of choosing English or Japanese voices. However, this must be done from Steam itself - right click on the listing in Steam, go to Properties > Language tab > and then pick Japanese or English. In Ground Zeroes, you could select subtitles of your chosen language in game, so I expect subs will be enabled or disabled in TPP in-game as well.

For those who may not be aware, the English voice actor for Snake in Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain is Kiefer Sutherland, where prior to these titles Snake was always voiced by David Hayter. Sutherland has a different take on Snake's voice than Hayter, some like it, some don't, but I do think if thy were going to replace Hayter at all at this point, he was a good choice. Conversely, the Japanese VO for Snake, Akio Otsuka is the same going all the way back to the original MGS!

Hayter should have voiced Snake. Period. I mean, how fucking shitty is it that the dude that voiced Snake from the very beginning and is synonymous with Snake doesn't voice Snake in the last game of the entire series. That's BS.

So how is the PC version of TPP? Is it performing well and looking good?

Yes performing well and looking good.. only minor gripe is the game wont let me bind my side mouse buttons to actions. Had to make a profile and setup keyboard keys to my mouse buttons.

I took this game off my favorites list just doesn't work for me I'm sure it's nice later on I'm on the Diamond Dogs platform. Thank God I got this game for Free......with 980ti
I'm going to try Mad Max instead....

Hayter should have voiced Snake. Period. I mean, how fucking shitty is it that the dude that voiced Snake from the very beginning and is synonymous with Snake doesn't voice Snake in the last game of the entire series. That's BS.

Hayter couldn't do the mocap required for Big Boss in this game. As much as I like Hayter's Snake voice it is a bit silly for him to be voicing Solid Snake and Big Boss. Even if Snake is the one that is most like BB he is only one of the siblings to have the same voice as their father. Even playing MGS3 I thought it was weird that Hayter did Naked Snake. Plus, I think Sutherland's voice works for this Big Boss.

Hayter couldn't do the mocap required for Big Boss in this game. As much as I like Hayter's Snake voice it is a bit silly for him to be voicing Solid Snake and Big Boss. Even if Snake is the one that is most like BB he is only one of the siblings to have the same voice as their father. Even playing MGS3 I thought it was weird that Hayter did Naked Snake. Plus, I think Sutherland's voice works for this Big Boss.

To me, Kaz's voice, Robin Atkins Downes, is acted in a way that makes it almost too similar to how Kiefer Sutherland is doing Big Boss. In GZ I confused the two many times; I suspect that'll be the case again in TPP.

I miss Hayter of course, and I'm torn about listening to Jack Bauer say all the Big Boss-y things, but, overall, it's not an overwhelmingly negative change, right? ;)

Two questions.
1) is playing ground zeroes important before starting this game?
2) any way to import ps4 save to PC? I have ground zeroes on both XBONER and PS4 but V only on PC.

I miss Hayter of course, and I'm torn about listening to Jack Bauer say all the Big Boss-y things, but, overall, it's not an overwhelmingly negative change, right? ;)

Kiefer is Jack Bauer...every time I see him or hear his voice, he's Jack

Two questions.
1) is playing ground zeroes important before starting this game?
2) any way to import ps4 save to PC? I have ground zeroes on both XBONER and PS4 but V only on PC.

If you got a free copy of Ground Zeroes for pre-ordering the Phantom Pain then I'd say it's worth to play through GZ first. You only need to beat the first mission of GZ to get the story and you can beat it in about 30-45 mins if it's your first time. If you didn't get a free copy of GZ then just youtube it which will only take a few mins to fill you in on the story.

Ok thanks. I extracted a retarded kid on my PS4 and now have to go after someone. The whole camp is on alert though lol.

Kiefer is Jack Bauer...every time I see him or hear his voice, he's Jack

He'll always be David from Lost Boys to me. That's what I picture when I think of Sutherland. 24 was okay but I never watched it when it was on and I've seen maybe a season and a half on Netflix in the last four years.

I ended up using both a 360 emulated controller (Logitech F710) and keyboard/mouse when I played though Ground Zeroes. The controller gets used for moving and sneaking around. If combat happens then it's keyboard/mouse time. Tons easier to aim and shoot using the mouse. Movement is a bit clunky with the keyboard but that's kind of less important when one has badguys to shoot.

I'm kinda thinking a Logitech G13 might be the way to go with this then. You can map the joystick to be like a stick (for sneaking), iirc. Might have to dust it off.

The only problem with this game so far is the fact the fucking online servers aren't working for shit in regards to rewards or anything else.

Eurogamer is one of my favorite review sites and they just published their review of the game (PS4)...

"Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is not just a high watermark for the series. It is the greatest ever stealth game by a distance, a true masterclass from a designer and team who bow out at the very peak of their creative powers...this is one of the greatest blockbusters our medium has ever had as well as the perfect ending to one of gamings' great series - and the end of one incredible, extended journey from Hideo Kojima...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-01-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

Eurogamer is one of my favorite review sites and they just published their review of the game (PS4)...

"Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is not just a high watermark for the series. It is the greatest ever stealth game by a distance, a true masterclass from a designer and team who bow out at the very peak of their creative powers...this is one of the greatest blockbusters our medium has ever had as well as the perfect ending to one of gamings' great series - and the end of one incredible, extended journey from Hideo Kojima...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-01-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

So I am at work for another 2 and a half hours with a 45 minutes drive home... reading all this shit... knowing my copy is sitting on my doorstep... and it's killing me. lol. I've been playing Metal Gear Solid since I was 12 years old (when MGS came out on Playstation) and every title since then has been absolutely incredible and mind blowing.

Just started playing it and no complaints from me so far. Looks and plays great.

I never could get into these games due to how tedious they were. Might give them another try.

One thing that always impressed me though was how AMAZING these games looked and the story. Glad this turned out well for you guys.

Love it so far = ) Horse controls a bit funky though.

Last edited:
Only gripe I have so far is...Oh my god the menus suck so much they are such a terrible port. Other than that its great!

Dumb question: I'm just starting out in Chapter 1...Afghanistan. Despite my best stealth efforts I am unable to do like I did in Ground Zeroes and come up from behind and take an enemy hostage and either interrogate them, subdue them, or kill them. Does this option exist in this game or am I simply too early into things?

The game is fantastic.

Dumb question: I'm just starting out in Chapter 1...Afghanistan. Despite my best stealth efforts I am unable to do like I did in Ground Zeroes and come up from behind and take an enemy hostage and either interrogate them, subdue them, or kill them. Does this option exist in this game or am I simply too early into things?

The game is fantastic.

I was able to do it. I couldn't interrogate them because they spoke Russian. I also didn't try it til I made it to the first checkpoint where you disable the comms. Eventually Ocelot tells you about over the radio.

The game is fantastic.

You have to press (and hold) the left mouse button to grab and hold an enemy.

Then you have to press (and hold) q to get the prompt to question them,e tc.

Then you have to press a number key for what you want to ask them.

The whole thing is extremely cumbersome and it feels like playing twister with your fingers.

That's my main gripe with ithe pc version so far, the like of being able to set buttons to "toggle" instead of press and holding them.

It would feel and control so much better if you just had to tap the button once to do the action and then just cancel out with another button.

That's my main gripe with ithe pc version so far, the like of being able to set buttons to "toggle" instead of press and holding them.

It would feel and control so much better if you just had to tap the button once to do the action and then just cancel out with another button.

Interesting. In the settings menu I thought I saw a way to enable a toggle - but then again that might be for controllers only (LB vs R-stick).

You have to press (and hold) the left mouse button to grab and hold an enemy.

Then you have to press (and hold) q to get the prompt to question them,e tc.

Then you have to press a number key for what you want to ask them.

The whole thing is extremely cumbersome and it feels like playing twister with your fingers.

I found the interrogation system in Ground Zeroes to be extremely idiotic. It gives you this conversation "wheel" thing but it doesn't tell you what option corresponds to what number key, and you can't use arrow keys or the mouse to navigate it. Really a piss-poor job there.

I never could get into these games due to how tedious they were. Might give them another try..

Same.

A few months ago I thought Divinity and Pillars of Eternity looked like uber garbage.

I beat Divinity last week and I'm already 20 hours into Pillars..... so I'm hoping this new MGS game will do the same.

so pissed that the steam version doesnt support DS4 natively... so pissed

Last edited:
Why does the game think I have a controller plugged in? Where is my keyboard layout?! So annoying!

I'm a bit rusty at metal gear, haven't played one since MGS4 so my "stealth" games have largely been overtaken by the AC series and I've largely forgotten most of the controls and what Snake can and can't do.

Is he able to do takedowns from above? lol, seems a bit strange since it's such a common feature now in most games like AC/Batman, etc.

Also do enemies wake up after a certain time? If so is there a point to hiding them in dumpsters/toliets aside from simply hiding them out of sight behind some wall or something?

Why does the game think I have a controller plugged in? Where is my keyboard layout?! So annoying!

In thie "Key mappings" (Or bindings) options you can see what buttons do what and change them to your liking.

Man, this game gets so good once you get to the open world. I can see how the hour long prologue might put off newcomers to the series but it gets so much better after it. There's so much stuff to just gather and experiment with in this game it'll definitely be right up the alley of Fallout/Skyrim pack rats and explorers like me.

I definitely recommend using the controller for this game even though I am a diehard kb/m user. This game and the Dark Souls series are just way more enjoyable with a controller. Movement is way more important in this game than aiming especially if you're the stealthy type.

Man, this game gets so good once you get to the open world. I can see how the hour long prologue might put off newcomers to the series but it gets so much better after it. There's so much stuff to just gather and experiment with in this game it'll definitely be right up the alley of Fallout/Skyrim pack rats and explorers like me.

I definitely recommend using the controller for this game even though I am a diehard kb/m user. This game and the Dark Souls series are just way more enjoyable with a controller. Movement is way more important in this game than aiming especially if you're the stealthy type.

That's what I was on the fence about, whether the open-world would be anything special. Starting to sound like it is. Might have to pick this up as I love open-world games.

Back