Both versions of MGS V coming to Steam.

Derangel

Fully [H]
Original Announcement Information: At Gamescom 2014 Konami announced that both Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain will be launching on Steam. The reveal was done via a fun little video that ended with Big Boss hiding inside of a box with the Steam logo on it. Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain serve as the first PC MGS titles since Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance was ported over in 2003.

Qav5GIu.png

Ground Zeroes: MGSV Ground Zeroes released on Steam December 18th 2014 to praise from the community. The port worked well and the game looked amazing. The $20 price tag was also a lot more appealing for the content that the game offered. Ground Zeroes acted as a prologue to The Phantom Pain, containing a single canon mission to serve as a bridge between the PSP (and later PS3) game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the Phantom Pain. The main mission was relatively short but there were also a handful of other non-canon missions you could do as well.

The Phantom Pain: With Ground Zeroes out our attention turns to the Phantom Pain. This is the first numbered Metal Gear Solid game since 2008's PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Phantom Pain concludes the story of Big Boss. Big Boss was first seen in 1987's Metal Gear on the MSX2 and then again in 1990's Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, also on the MSX2. Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 talked a lot about Big Boss and his legacy but it was not until Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater that players were able to learn his origins. The story of Big Boss is told further in the PSP game Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops as well as the PSP/PS3 game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. More information on the game can be found on it's Steam page.

Phantom Pain also appears like it may be the last Metal Gear Solid game we get. Due to stuff going on at publisher Konami series creator, Hideo Kojima, will be leaving the company in December and his former studio, Kojima Productions, has been rebranded. Kojima was one of the main creative forces behind the series and Konami's seeming disdain for the video game market at the moment this could very well mark the end of the franchise as we know it. I won't go into all of the Konami details here since that is a subject for different topics, but the information is easy to find.

Release Information: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will be releasing on September 1st 2015. It is a Steamworks title and as such no matter where you buy it you will need to activate it on Steam.

Price:

USD- $59.99 (I don't know the prices for other regions so if anyone posts them I'll add them to this post)

Pre-load: There is no PC pre-load for Phantom Pain.

Pre-order bonuses: If you pre-order the game you will receive a free copy of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. If you already own a copy of Ground Zeroes it will be added to your Steam Inventory and you can gift it.

Additional pre-order bonuses include the following DLC items-
*Venom Snake Emblem
*Staff for Mother Base
*Collector's Video

If you are "pre-ordering" the game via Nvidia codes you will get the three DLC bonuses but you will not receive the free copy of Ground Zeroes.

Unlock Time: The game will be unlocked at 12am EST 9/1.

Articles:

Hands on and Q&A from Game Informer (Credit to Q-BZ for originally posting it)

Hands-on impressions from Destructoid

Hands-on impressions from PC Gamer (Credit to cageymaru for originally posting it)

Hands-On impressions from Eurogamer (Credit to polonyc2 for originally posting it)

Videos:

The Complete Story of Metal Gear Solid provided by Eurogamer (Credit to polonyc2 for originally posting it)

E3 2015 Trailer (Credit to polonyc2 for originally posting it)

40 Minute E3 Gameplay Demonstration (Credit to polonyc2 for the original post about it and deff for the link to the English version)

Gamescom 2015 Trailer (Credit to polonyc2 for originally posting it)

Freedom of Infiltration Demonstration (Credit to cageymaru for the original post and polonyc2 for the link to the English version)

Mother Base Overview Gamescom 2015 (Credit to polonyc2 for originally posting it)

4K 60FPS trailer from Nvidia (Credit to cageymaru for originally posting it)

Screenshots:

PC vs Consoles (Credit to TaintedSquirrel for originally posting it)

System Requirements:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (2GB) or better (DirectX 11 card Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (DirectX 11 graphic card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

(Credit to TaintedSquirrel for originally posting these)

Reviews:

IGN 10/10 (Credit to Stiler for originally posting it)
Gamespot 10/10 (Credit to Stiler for originally posting it)
Destructoid 9/10 (Credit to Stiler for originally posting it)
EGM 9.5/10 (Credit to Stiler for originally posting it)
Game Informer 9.25/10
Game Trailers 9.3/10

And finally thank you to everyone who has posted links and information about the game in this topic so far. You have all made it very easy for me to make this post a lot more informative than it originally was.

Last edited:
Awesome. This was one of the games I was planning to get on PS4, but I'd be much happier on PC.

It'll be interesting to see how they price Ground Zeroes. It's still a huge ass ripoff on consoles, but PC gamers are usually much more likely to have a "wait for a steam sale" mentality. They need to be smart and just make it $10 right off the bat.

Awesome. This was one of the games I was planning to get on PS4, but I'd be much happier on PC.

It'll be interesting to see how they price Ground Zeroes. It's still a huge ass ripoff on consoles, but PC gamers are usually much more likely to have a "wait for a steam sale" mentality. They need to be smart and just make it $10 right off the bat.

I doubt they will but it would be awesome if they sold them together, for like $10 more than the cost of Phantom Pain. $15-20 is reasonable for Ground Zeroes on it's own though.

I doubt they will but it would be awesome if they sold them together, for like $10 more than the cost of Phantom Pain. $15-20 is reasonable for Ground Zeroes on it's own though.

I picked it up on sale, for $18 I think, and I feel like I over payed. It's 2 to 3 hours at best. Sure you can replay it and try for different results, but its still the same mission. I've paid half as much for DLC that had twice the content.

Ground Zeroes was enjoyable for sure, but I'd honestly call it one of the worst values in the history of gaming at the price they released it at.

I picked it up on sale, for $18 I think, and I feel like I over payed. It's 2 to 3 hours at best. Sure you can replay it and try for different results, but its still the same mission. I've paid half as much for DLC that had twice the content.

Ground Zeroes was enjoyable for sure, but I'd honestly call it one of the worst values in the history of gaming at the price they released it at.

I paid $30 for it, so yeeeah. At some point I intend to go back and do the other missions though now I think I'll just wait for the PC version.

No reason to buy a PS4 now.

Bloodborne. That's pretty much it though, that's the only must-play-at-all-costs title that will force me to buy a PS4. Regardless, this is major news for us that an industry titan like Kojima is finally taking Steam seriously.

On a sidenote, the southwestern environment featured in some of The Phantom Pain gameplay videos is just gorgeous, along with the models and movement mechanics, and pretty much my wet dream of what a Red Dead sequel would look like. If you're an RDR fan, watch this video and tell me if it doesn't give you Red Dead vibes, especially the part where he's fast-riding the horse at about the 04:57 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXQMC3mQBw

Last edited:
The best thing to happen to PC gaming in the past few years is having new consoles with PC equivalent hardware. I had a feeling a lot more console games would be brought to PC.

I don't like dumbed down PC ports due to console, but games traditionally only on console that are brought to PC ... I'm not going to complain.

Not gonna lie was really considering a PS4 just for this game. But that is over :O

YEAH!
I got Ground Zeroes on my PS4, but I'm totally in for MGSV:TPP + Ground Zeroes PC bundle! (You know its gonna happen)

Now give a ultimate, definitive, super mega combo with every single MGS game in existence =) I know MGS4 may be a hard task because of the console architectures they were designed for, but pretty please with a cherry on top.

Still, MGS and MGS2 on the PC were great.

lol!

Oh shit
The Steam pages are up already!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/
and
http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/

Niiiiiiiiiice

Hopefully the Community Hub and forums for them go up soon too. For as shit as the Steam forums can be they are an occasional decent place to look for stuff on a game or simply talk about them or sometimes roll your eyes and laugh at people, either way.

Now give a ultimate, definitive, super mega combo with every single MGS game in existence =) I know MGS4 may be a hard task because of the console architectures they were designed for, but pretty please with a cherry on top.

Still, MGS and MGS2 on the PC were great.

I would love for Konami to rework the old ports and re-release them.

The best thing to happen to PC gaming in the past few years is having new consoles with PC equivalent hardware. I had a feeling a lot more console games would be brought to PC.

I think that's a red herring honestly. That the PS4 and Xbone have x86 under the hood and therefore have parity with "PC games" is a myth that's been pushed by the marketing departments of the console manufacturers. The hardware may be similar but the SDK's are wildly different with very little overlap. I remember reading the same wishful thinking about MacOS when Mac went x86 -- that all of a sudden Macs would be getting tons of Windows-only titles ported thanks to x86 being under the hood. Never happened.

I think MGS V showing up on Steam is more just a reflection of PC gaming being far enough along in its resurgence that even traditionally console-only developers have had to take notice or they're leaving money on the table.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be buying a second copy of Ground Zeroes. :) Praise be to Gaben!

I am glad these are being released on PC, it further cements PC as a more credible platform and source of revenue that developers should not exclude.

That being said, I really don't get the rabid obsession with this IP. I have played MGS1, 2 and 4, and my impression is that the narrative is mostly unintelligible and incoherent, the overarching themes are conveyed ineloquently if not in a completely hamfisted way, the long diatribes bore me to tears, the game mechanics are inelegant and have been done better by other games, etc. Any game that requires me to consult an encyclopedic wiki just to remind me about what has transpired in previous games and who all the characters are is never on a good footing in my books.

Decent PCGamer article with a lot of good points made, and bottom lines the MGSV and Tomb Raider announcements as they relate to PC gaming. In a nutshell, since Microsoft isn't doing anything for PC gaming and in some respects taking steps to disadvantage it, the PC gaming community has to counter by doing its own evangelizing and lobbying for the platform:

PC gamers have to fight for PC gaming, and Metal Gear Solid V is a big win
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/14/p...c-gaming-and-metal-gear-solid-v-is-a-big-win/

Last edited:
Oh man I'm ape shit excited for this. MGS4 was such an amazing game, can't wait to play MGS V on the PC.

I am glad these are being released on PC, it further cements PC as a more credible platform and source of revenue that developers should not exclude.

That being said, I really don't get the rabid obsession with this IP. I have played MGS1, 2 and 4, and my impression is that the narrative is mostly unintelligible and incoherent, the overarching themes are conveyed ineloquently if not in a completely hamfisted way, the long diatribes bore me to tears, the game mechanics are inelegant and have been done better by other games, etc. Any game that requires me to consult an encyclopedic wiki just to remind me about what has transpired in previous games and who all the characters are is never on a good footing in my books.

You missed the BEST entry. MGS3 is by far, wide, leagues and parsecs the BEST entry in the series, hell, it's probably one of the (if not THE) best games EVER MADE. On a global ranking of best games I've played, MGS1 is up in the 99-50 rank, MGS2 is around 200-100 MGS 4 is some worthless 5-digit rank indicative of an average game.

MGS3 is tied for #1

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the MGS II, I'm so lost....

No, after MGS2 EVERYONE is lost. That was the most caddywompus mish-mash of of overcomplicated Japanese continuity I had experienced when I played it.

Then I played MGS4, which made MGS2 seem like a nursery rhyme...

Seriously, people: just play MGS3. It does not follow or need any of the other games to make sense. It's like a slightly more Japanese version of Platoon, it honestly should not be called MGS, it's so different to the other titles...

I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the MGS II, I'm so lost....

Seeing how MGS5 is a prequel you should be fine.

And like others have said on here, MGS3 is the best of the best. If you haven't played it you're missing out.

You missed the BEST entry. MGS3 is by far, wide, leagues and parsecs the BEST entry in the series, hell, it's probably one of the (if not THE) best games EVER MADE. On a global ranking of best games I've played, MGS1 is up in the 99-50 rank, MGS2 is around 200-100 MGS 4 is some worthless 5-digit rank indicative of an average game.

MGS3 is tied for #1

Fair point, only MGS1 & 2 were ported to PC and I never owned a PS2. I think MGS3 was re-released on PS3 but after coaxing myself to finish MGS4 I didn't expect MGS3 to be a worthwhile use of limited time. Even then, the lack of consistency is enough to make me keep my expectations low in relation to MGS5.

If they sold a game like Metal Gear Rising for $19.99 when it was released on Steam, I'm sure they can sell Ground Zeroes for like $10-$15.. considering you could beat the latter in literally 10-15 mins

Does this game take place after Peace Walker? If so I may have to play it before purchasing this game.

No reason to buy a PS4 now.

I disagree... There is still the new Uncharted coming out, not to mention the new Silent Hill that was just announced the other day "Silent Hills" which involves Hideo Kojima... There are still plenty of reasons I am going to get a PS4... playing The Division with my friends, Destiny, The Evil Within, Grand Theft Auto 5, Homefront: The Revolution, Dying Light, Resident Evil: HD Remastered, The Order: 1886, The Witness, No Man's Sky... and i'm sure there will be others.

But I definitely do not yet see a strong enough reason to buy one until at least The Division or Destiny comes out.

Does this game take place after Peace Walker? If so I may have to play it before purchasing this game.

Yup, even has a few characters from PW appear in MGS5: GZ.

Timeline order:

MGS3 - PW - MGS5 - MGS1 - MGS2 - MGS4

Great! Now, I'm torn between getting it on the PS4 or PC... That said, this is a fantastic problem to have and I'm greatly surprised as well as thankful it's happening.

I disagree... There is still the new Uncharted coming out, not to mention the new Silent Hill that was just announced the other day "Silent Hills" which involves Hideo Kojima... There are still plenty of reasons I am going to get a PS4... playing The Division with my friends, Destiny, The Evil Within, Grand Theft Auto 5, Homefront: The Revolution, Dying Light, Resident Evil: HD Remastered, The Order: 1886, The Witness, No Man's Sky... and i'm sure there will be others.

But I definitely do not yet see a strong enough reason to buy one until at least The Division or Destiny comes out.

You do realize that of all the games you have listed the only ones not confirmed to be on PC are Destiny and The Order:1886 right?

Uncharted and Bloodborne are definitely never coming to PC, and the new Silent Hill is co-published by Sony so who knows.

Back