Both Mint and Fedora change my bios clock

rezerekted

2[H]4U
Talking about Live USB of Fedora and Mint. Both set the wrong date and time and they also change the clock in my bios so when I boot into Windows the time is wrong there too. FFS! I remember Mandrake used to do this years ago and it is just NFG. I don't want to have to go into my bios to fix the mess every time after I boot up Live version of Fedora. Why can't they get time from an Internet server and leave my bios alone?

You might consider remastering the .iso with settings the way you want them, such as time zone, video settings, etc.

Fedora and Mint set your hardware clock to UTC which is actually The Right Way™.

To make Windows support UTC you can set navigate the registry editor to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
and create a DWORD key RealTimeIsUniversal=1

Fedora and Mint set your hardware clock to UTC which is actually The Right Way™.

I do not wish to restart a decades old debate about RTC vs UTC, I do want to point out that the registry hack is not without issues. I do not know what version of Windows the OP is using or if it is fully patched and up to date. Setting that aside as curable the OP is still left with the problem that envoking that registry key will prevent Windows from updating the bios time. Since he is trying to run Linux live sessions only he will need to utilize a third party solution to keep his bios time in sync.

Even if the OP does all that the Linux live session is still going to boot up set to the time zone it was originally set to when it was mastered. This could be solved with Data Persistency but that will slow down an already slow boot up.

Therefore it is my opinion that the OP would be better served by remastering the Linux live session .iso modified any way he needs it for the equipment he is using.

Fedora boots fast off a USB 3.0 stick so I would like the Data Persistence option and did try to do that using a tool to make the USB stick bootable but that tool failed and had to switch to Rufus to make it bootable, but Rufus doesn't have data persistence option.

What I really want is Linux OS on a stick and not a Live version. I want to be able to save files and settings to the stick.

I will look into remastering Linux but you directed me to Mint and I have decided want to use Fedora.

I don't want to change Win8.1 to UTC, I want local time with daylight savings.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html
"Users will not have to be bothered any more with pop-up queries that ask whether the RTC clock should be updated."

According to the above I am supposed tom be asked if I want to update the RTC but instead both Mint and Fedora are just doing it without my permission.

Last edited:

Thank you, I'm glad someone posted this. Microsoft's insistance that the BIOS be set to local time is an absolute abomination. But, what do you expect from them. There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and the Microsoft Way (eg, The Right Way with Proprietary Extensions).

OK, used Lilo to create bootable USB and it has persistence mode so can now save the settings. Thanks for the help again.

Back