Boston Marathon Runner Will Be Wearing 3D-Printed Flip-Flops

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Footwear engineer Chris Bellamy will take on the Boston Marathon this Monday wearing a pair of 3D-printed flip-flops. The flip-flops are made by a company called Wiivv (pronounced weave :rolleyes: ) that is preparing to launch a full line of custom built sandals this spring. The sandals use an app for iOS or Android to measure 200 points on your feet to create a contour map to then 3D-print the sandals from.

While this may be the strangest news I've posted this week, watching someone try to run a 26 mile marathon in a pair of $130+ 3D-printed flip-flops may be just the hilarity my Mondays usually need.

“We spent many sleepless nights driving fairly radical innovations in design and materials, and optimizing for biomechanics and comfort. So I am not worried at all about going the full 26.2 miles,” Bellamy says in a press release announcing his Boston Marathon run. “We’ve reengineered every part of the traditional flip-flop to design the most comfortable, optimized sandal ever created, and I’ve had this marathon in the back of my mind through every decision we made,” he added.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
23427418.jpg

When they fall off he can claim he's really a bare foot runner and this was intended.

Hmm that boob VR video with the 3D printed shoes? Freudian slip? Thinking about 3D printing something else *uhum* measured for size? :D

Hopefully they tested these out on some shorter runs first because that sounds like it is going to suck.

Back