Bose Endows Company to MIT

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dr. Amar Bose, founder of the Bose Corporation, has gifted his alma mater the majority shareholding in his corporation. The university will receive annual dividends to further education and research. Dr. Bose received his degrees at MIT and taught there until 2001.

His insatiable curiosity propelled remarkable research, both at MIT and within the company he founded. Dr. Bose has always been more concerned about the next two decades than about the next two quarters."

So you'll pay more tution and get a lesser education than other institutions offer? :p

As someone who completely opposes the entire corrupt "educational" system, even I do not understand the claim that MIT provides a "lesser education" than other "educational" institutions.

So you'll pay more tution and get a lesser education than other institutions offer? :p

+1 for what everyone else in this thread has already said.

Also, good for him. It's good to see he is going to help MIT out, they will continue to be amazing I'm sure, and this will help them out a great deal I'm sure in becoming even more awesome.

"His insatiable curiosity propelled remarkable research"

Clearly not in field of audio. I think the last good speaker Bose made was back in the 80s. Even their commercial stuff has become crap compared to other vendor's offerings. My dislike for Bose aside this is a pretty awesome gift.

The only Bose speakers I ever thought were worth a dime were the original Bose AM-5 which was the first widely used and adopted 2.1 system. I demoed them constantly at the Circuit City where I was working and they never ever failed to impress. Having those two satellites on one side of the demo room (filled with speakers) and then having the sub clear on the other side behind some other speakers and asking the listener to pinpoint where the speakers were (since the sats were covered but facing them) was always fun.

Nobody ever got the sub location precisely which was to be expected, but a few folks did take note of the cloth covering and pointed out the sats.

Needless to say those demos sold a shitload of speakers. :)

But the next year they "improved" the AM-5 meaning in actuality they ruined them and that was that - a grand idea and some truly astonishing speakers and they up and disappeared within a product cycle, sadly. True collector's items if you can find them anywhere.

But anyway... I've yet to see or hear any Bose products that I'd consider ever buying again myself. Those AM-5 were absolutely amazing for what they could crank out - they were some of the only speakers I've ever heard at respectable levels that could play Telarc's original 1812 Overture CD with the digital cannons without distortion noted. If you've never heard that CD done right (and they created a 24 bit version years later), you don't know what true high fidelity is. :D

It's nice what he's doing but, I can't see it meaning all that much to MIT in the long run.

The only Bose speakers I ever thought were worth a dime were the original Bose AM-5 which was the first widely used and adopted 2.1 system. I demoed them constantly at the Circuit City where I was working and they never ever failed to impress. Having those two satellites on one side of the demo room (filled with speakers) and then having the sub clear on the other side behind some other speakers and asking the listener to pinpoint where the speakers were (since the sats were covered but facing them) was always fun.

Nobody ever got the sub location precisely which was to be expected, but a few folks did take note of the cloth covering and pointed out the sats.

Needless to say those demos sold a shitload of speakers. :)

But the next year they "improved" the AM-5 meaning in actuality they ruined them and that was that - a grand idea and some truly astonishing speakers and they up and disappeared within a product cycle, sadly. True collector's items if you can find them anywhere.

But anyway... I've yet to see or hear any Bose products that I'd consider ever buying again myself. Those AM-5 were absolutely amazing for what they could crank out - they were some of the only speakers I've ever heard at respectable levels that could play Telarc's original 1812 Overture CD with the digital cannons without distortion noted. If you've never heard that CD done right (and they created a 24 bit version years later), you don't know what true high fidelity is. :D

It's nice what he's doing but, I can't see it meaning all that much to MIT in the long run.

I can remember listening to 901's in the speaker room at the Bamberg Germany PX back in the late 80's. and then listening to some comparably priced JBL's

the JBL's made the Bose speakers sound like crap....

I've heard that the Wave Radio is very good but maybe people are saying that it's good compared to a conventional alarm clock.

When Bose 901 came out in the late sixty they had it over anyone at the time. 901 were the reference speakers. Night clubs used them. After the 901 came out, more engineers came out of the woodwork, and their was a revolution in the speaker industry. In 1972 I bought my first Infinity's with the 360 degree high end cone speaker. Kept those until the eighties and bought Polks and still have them. The set of speakers I wish I could have tried with the sub woofers they have now would be the electrostats. I found it unbelievable how clear they sounded with metal ribbons strung through them for your highs and mids and the sub woofer taking care of the rest. Anyways Bose set the standard for many years with the 901, first person to try acoustics of bouncing sound off the walls like you would at an arena and to experiment with 3d placement. He didn't want people to be able to point at where the sound was coming from. I'm not sure but I think he might have coined the term 3d spacial imaging, which is why I bought the Polks later on.

Holy crap. Guys, serously, it took 4 posts before someone made the Bose = overpriced joke?? You guys are slipping.

Sign me up. I would love to pay thousands of dollars for $10 speakers.
Their speakers are junk, high frequency garbage. In real reviews, they do poorly to average and are always dinged for being overpriced.
Shows what a good marketing campaign can do for a below average product. Can anyone say K&N, same deal their too.

Blo$e, not even MIT can make them sound good.

Holy crap. Guys, serously, it took 4 posts before someone made the Bose = overpriced joke?? You guys are slipping.

It was actually the first post after the OP, just that many peeps only heard the wooshing sound of the point flying high above their heads.

(read post #2)

I got your joke right off. Dont know what these other blokes lack of understanding is due to.

I got your joke right off. Dont know what these other blokes lack of understanding is due to.

The joke would only work if MIT provided second rate educations at first rate prices, which is not true, hence the confusion.

Wow, shit all over Bose all you want, but that is an amazing act of philanthropy. My hat is off to him.

The joke would only work if MIT provided second rate educations at first rate prices, which is not true, hence the confusion.
I think the joke was that it was going to turn into that.

At first I was like wtf they gave... oh wait it's preferred stock.

I love the placebo effect my $2,500 Bose speakers give me so FU!
It goes great with my degree from ITT Tech!

It was actually the first post after the OP, just that many peeps only heard the wooshing sound of the point flying high above their heads.

(read post #2)

/facepalm what do you think he is referring to... He is the one that made the post after all.

I had a pair of bookshelf speakers from the late 80s that where pretty good. Have no idea how much they where new as they where given to me. Wouldn't pay for bose though, not in a million years.

Apparently nobody here has used real BOSE products or set them up properly.

You ABSOLUTELY NEED their active equilizer chips to use their speakers, because they are designed with a completely flat equilization curve. If you use a non-BOSE amp or reciever with BOSE speakers they sound like sh1t.

Guess what? They don't sell BOSE amps at futureshop or Best Buy. So all the stuff they sell there sounds like garbage. Unless you already own their amps and eq, buying these speakers is a complete waste of money.

The only exception is their LifeStyle home theatre systems, which comes with the amp/reciever with built-in eq. This is NOT the sub and AM speaker kits. The ones I'm referring to are the ones that come with the CD/DVD and are about 2500 bucks, not 300-$600.

Having said that, and even their honest reps will tell you that their hifi stuff isn't the best and its not the company's focus at all. BOSE has always been about PA loudspeakers, like their 802/901 series, which are nothing short of amazing.

But again ONLY if you buy their 1800V amp AND buy the matching chip for the matching speaker. (which gets put into the mainboard of the amp). They have a different chip for each speaker. If you buy their panarray speakers, you need a 400 series chip. Those ones are only tuned for their own sub, so now you need another 1800V and 1800 series sub.

They did make a seperate rackmount equilizer which was designed to work with 3rd party amps, but it doesn't sound nearly as good. The entire audio path was engineered for their own proprietary equipment and this is how it should stay.

Even their ceiling mount 75v line and 151 environmental outdoor speakers are designed to work with their commercial 75v line amp.

Anyone who has used BOSE commericals speakers and plugged them into any old PA amp or reciever and set them up on stage then complained they sounded like crap is an idiot and you FAIL.

Oh sorry i guess to make bose sound like they are worth a shit you have to invest further into their expensive shit. :rolleyes:

Oh sorry i guess to make bose sound like they are worth a shit you have to invest further into their expensive shit. :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my Ebayed Paradigm rig, I might have $400 in my speakers if you count my Sub from parts express, funny as hell, it blows away any Bose setup I have listened to. and I didn't need a "special" amp for it either.

Oh c'mon, Troz's joke works regardless of the quality of MIT's education... heh... good one.

Troz = Zort, backward... I hadn't realized it until now, but Fran = Narf, backward. Ahh... I liked Pinky and the Brain when I was a kid.

Additionally: I doubt I could find a Bose loudspeaker product for which there doesn't exist a better alternative at a lower price. Equalization, time-alignment, or signal processing of any kind will not compensate for physical deficits.

But yes - for this act of philanthropy, I commend Dr. Bose.

Oh c'mon, Troz's joke works regardless of the quality of MIT's education... heh... good one.

Troz = Zort, backward... I hadn't realized it until now, but Fran = Narf, backward. Ahh... I liked Pinky and the Brain when I was a kid.

Additionally: I doubt I could find a Bose loudspeaker product for which there doesn't exist a better alternative at a lower price. Equalization, time-alignment, or signal processing of any kind will not compensate for physical deficits.

But yes - for this act of philanthropy, I commend Dr. Bose.

There not really that many "better alternatives at a lower price" when you are trying to provide loud, clear voice and music audio to tens of thousands of screaming fans at over thousands of square feat.

BOSE speakers and accompanying equipment is expensive, but their goal is to cover as much area as possible with as few speakers as possible. Its acutally much cheaper to do a bar, church or stadium with BOSE because you'd have to install way more speakers and amps with cheaper brands to get the same coverage.

I did a demo for rodeo stadium which doubles for bands (about 4000 people) when the fair is in town with as few as four BOSE 802s, 1 amp and eq. About 5 grand. It sounded great and more than covered the whole stadium. They didn't end up buying because they balked at the price of each speaker. They bought some cheap Peavey PAs, but then discovered they had to buy a bunch more because 4 was not enough and actually ended spending more money in the end.

Like I said before, if you are talking about home hifi, buy some JBLs. But if you do big stage and stadiums, BOSE has some great products and can make sense financially.

Apparently nobody here has used real BOSE products or set them up properly.

You ABSOLUTELY NEED their active equilizer chips to use their speakers, because they are designed with a completely flat equilization curve. If you use a non-BOSE amp or reciever with BOSE speakers they sound like sh1t.

Guess what? They don't sell BOSE amps at futureshop or Best Buy. So all the stuff they sell there sounds like garbage. Unless you already own their amps and eq, buying these speakers is a complete waste of money.

The only exception is their LifeStyle home theatre systems, which comes with the amp/reciever with built-in eq. This is NOT the sub and AM speaker kits. The ones I'm referring to are the ones that come with the CD/DVD and are about 2500 bucks, not 300-$600.
The only reason why you would implement active equalization is to correct inherent flaws in a speaker's frequency response. So what you're saying is first you need to overpay for a poorly designed speaker, then you need to pay even more for a system to correct the poorly designed speaker. If what you actually meant to talk about is active room correction, this excuse is irrelevant. Any speaker outside of an anechoic lab needs to be room corrected and therefore will sound better when an active room correction system is implemented. Compare a Bose system with AdaptIQ implemented, to say a PSB system with Audyssey implemented and let us know the results.

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

In the years gone buy anyone that bought decent speakers bought flat lined vs cheaper "colored" sounding speakers. Same people that think and have been brain washed into thinking cd's sound better then vinyl records.I remember the ads for cd's when they came out"Sounds just about as good as vinyl records". Why do you think they kept having to upgrade the cd players and tell you how much over sampling they did to the music before you heard it. Remember 2x then 4x then 8x over sampling just to try to get the sine wave to look like an analogue sine wave. Thats why cd music high ends sounded so tinny on a good system. We referred to it as the Japanese chip sound. We went from tubes to transistors to computer chips, and the music degraded as well. Go price out a good tube mono block amp x2. I'll take flat speakers and do my own adjustments, thankyou very much. I don't need colored speakers with added bass and high ends because the crossovers suck. Oh by the way I heard that the industry is slowly going to promote the vinyl records again. After 3 generations of people,brought up thinking that cd's and mp3 and flac sound so good. Most have never heard what good music sounds like, they have been spoon fed computer chip music.

Back