bose alternative

TBJ

Gawd
My wife is interested in getting these Bose AE2W bluetooth headphones, but I'd like something without a $300.00 pricetag, what are good cheaper alternatives?

Logitech makes many different wireless headsets I believe Corsair and Artic do as well. Bose is a name these days, nothing more.

Bose has always just been a name. Back in the late 90's when I was repairing electronics in college, almost every brand was using epoxy PCBs while Bose was still using 1950's paper pulp based PCBs. Talk about cutting corners anywhere and everywhere.

At least their solder joints would usually hold up, unlike RCA products.

Anyway, my point is that Bose builds cheap shit in nce shiny packages and dumps a fuck ton into marketing.

I wouldn't call Bose cheap. I'd just say it's overpriced. I've never listened to a Bose product that sounded bad. It all sounds good. I don't own any Bose products currently.

But looking at Crutchfield, those are only $250. Several other brands on there are just as much if not more. Does she want big and bulky? Motorola S305's get great reviews on Amazon. They aren't your typical over the ear headphones though.

Otherwise, it's your wife, it's Christmas. Couple clicks and your shopping is complete!

they do tend to make very decent speakers but I wouldn't really count on them for high end or that matter $300 headsets there is many other options, maybe cerwin, klipsh, Plantronics and so forth?

they do tend to make very decent speakers but I wouldn't really count on them for high end or that matter $300 headsets there is many other options, maybe cerwin, klipsh, Plantronics and so forth?

Not sure I'd call their products decent by any stretch of the imagination. My parents have almost the entire line of their speakers - 201's, Acoustimass, 701's, and I have a pair of 301's Series IV. Best thing about them were that they were free. Other than that, I can't imagine I'd be happy if I spent any kind of money on them.

Their "Direct/Reflect" technology is supposed to sound like a "live" hall, but in reality - it makes the sound stage REALLY big, and smears any sense of imaging you'd get out of the speaker. Also - the bass response of the 301's are erratic, at best. On a sinewave frequency sweep, the speaker is full of gaps and humps.

I've had the pleasure of listening to a pair of QuietComforts (can't remember the exact model), and I felt that my Sennheiser HD-280pros sounded more natural. The Bose's were too bassy, and they seemed to work my Headroom Bithead amp a little more than the Sennies did. It just didn't sound natural at all.

OP - does your wife care that much about sound quality? I mean - receiving a pair of Bose headphones may be like getting her a Lexus for Christmas. Sure - it's really just an overpriced Toyota, but if she feels like you went out of your way even more and spent extra on her - then hell, she might love it. :)

Those headphones are bluetooth enabled, does your wife specifically want that feature. If so the only other alternatives off the top of mind are HK bluetooth headphones.

Personally I like wired headphones since they offer the best sound quality. BUT if bluetooth is important then I don`t such much of choice in selection.

Thanks for the responses, this is the type of information I was looking for.
After listening to Bose at a demo kiosk in our local FutureShop, she wanted the Bose AE2W set to go with her IPad.

Back