Bored with WoW, should I try EQII ?

For grinding/job like game, try City of Heros... as the gameplay is pretty interesting compared to most... fighting requires you to move and think some ;p

For a game and not a job, try out Guild Wars, its like Magic the Gathering(building your deck) meets D&D meets CS ;p The PvP and PvE are amazing in the game, so is the gameplay and the skill/class sytem... each person can get 200 spells, yet only can use 8 at a time... meaning you have to develop builds and methods to be effective.
Its a game of skill not how long can I play this game to become uberlevel 250, its how you play and others play that change the game. Be warend the player base is crap(cough CS cough) but playing with friends is where its at!

Tried WoW recently... couldnt get over the way the classes never felt very dependant on others... meaning no one feels needed ;p in GW a team can NOT survive without diversity, same goes for CoH.

Luxor said:
SWG was my first, and I didn't mind quitting. Now the 2 new expansions are out, and even though I dislike the whole shape ship part... I stilll... want... to play. (Don't ask me why)

Anyone still play? how is it? buggy? any people left?
:confused:

I still play on the Valcyn server. Not as dominating anymore after the combat 'downgrade, but I'm still enjoying it. Lately Its been tougher to want to sign on. Thinking about changing professions for a bit.

I don't agree....I've played both WoW and EQ2, and while WoW IS fun, it caters to the soloer mentality and to those who like to level fast. EQ2 is fun also, but takes alot more time invested to get to the end game.
EQ2 has alot more depth imho atm compared to WoW. It took me less than two or three hours to get to lvl 10 in WoW and this was the first night i played it. It's too cookie cutter for my tastes which is why i dropped it after the first month...Don't get me wrong tho. It's fun to play and is great if thats your play style but for me it wasn't.
Been playing CoH lately though since i've gotten tired of fantasy type games. As people have said, it's a great game if taken in small doses with occasional long play sessions. They just added sonic and archery power sets so that's helping keep interest up. With City of Villians coming out in the next month or two, it will be even better imho...
Guild wars is decent but not the end-all be-all game that a few here think it is... :p
Like others, i'm really biding time till Oblivion comes out...

SuX0rz said:
IMO end game content is over rated. I had a lvl 60 NE hunter and I just found myself pouring more and more time into getting high lvl gear. It turned into a job instead something rewarding and fun like lvls 1 to 60 were. I just don't like the idea of spending three hours on a raid for the hope that I might get a chance to roll on an epic...let alone win it. For me, I'm going to wait for Oblivion to replace WoW.

Oh, and Warsong Gultch is fun if you are on the Horde's side. For alliance its gouge your eyes out frustrating.

my .02

True, but i think eventually they will make the racials more balanced. Another thing that makes me mad is it's hard to have fun when you only have pallys and rogues on your side. :(

i think the two weeks to 40 thing is for professional grinders who go after all the right mobs/quests etc. i've been playing 3 weeks and hit 34 yesterday.

I think you should try EQ2 for a combination of refreshing changes and a different perspective. A lot of it is more complex and in-depth, and warriors/fighters are actually useful. There isn't any pvp combat though, and so far I think that may actually be a good thing - a little pve focus after getting stomped by every finger waggler who threw a spell your way is a nice change.

EQ2 is definately more group centric, with more buffs available, more group-friendly abilities (scouts [or at least a few of the subclasses] being able to track targets, sneak people in and out of places (i.e. group invisibility), healers having a variety of healing and protection abilities that can stack [wards, regen, direct heals], the fighter classes having more and better taunts [shout being a great example] as well as abilities to shield group members [intervene], and so on. The heroic opportunites add to this, allowing you to trigger a spell that requires groupmates to fire off their abilities in sequence to complete.

Not to mention that the players are generally more friendly than in world of warcraft (probably due to the game being pve-only). It's really depressing to be running around admist hundreds of players scattered across a server and they've all got attitudes or are just altogether mute, and nobody wants to group with anybody except for 15 hour onyxia runs.

While the adventuring is a lot better, the crafting is kind of mixed - it's very tedius [tons of items that make components for more components which eventually result in a completed item, that can likely be imbued later on] and the leveling is simmilar in speed to adventuring (pretty slow), but you can make a lot of good stuff that you'd actually equip - as opposed to world of warcraft where it's all about doing runs in brd and molten core and such to get all the [somehow scattered across the world] armor and weapons which are not only better than nearly everything you can craft, but doesn't require the tedius bargaining and ingredient hunting that crafted items in world of warcraft require.

Speaking of that, most of the ingredients you need for any particular weapon or item aren't too hard to get - it's not like searching across a hundred thorium veins for a single arcane crystal of which you need 15 of to make the 15 arcanite bars (4g a transmute on my server) which have a 2 day cooldown timer per transmute just in order to get SOME of the ingredients required for an arcanite champion, which is often abandoned in favor of the blackhand doomsaw and other drops which are easier and far cheaper to get (let alone arguably better).

This is, so far anyways, as the leveling is slow enough to where I'm not yet ready to equip or make anything near level 50, but even compared to the crap I had to go through to make lower level items in world of warcraft, it's still a nice, refreshing change (also note that a lot of ingredients are dirt cheap at the broker, compared to say 1g for a stack of copper bars).

At least you could batch create items and there was no chance of failure, unlike in EQ2.

Another thing I do miss in World of Warcraft was the variety of areas and climates that you could travel through and how they were almost seamlessly linked. It really made you feel like there was a world to explore, despite the horrendously long griffon flights and all of the running around.

PKFGimpy said:
2 weeks to get to 40?? Maybe if you play 15 hours per day.

I've been playing steadily for about 6 months now, maybe 2 hours a night on average, and I'm level 57. It's been alot of fun too :)
QUOTE]

Just cause you suck at grinding doesn't mean everyone does ^-^
Many of the "grinders" plot out how to level characters fast. You know which quests you need to do to get the better weapons/items to grind even faster etc. It's a huge procedure that you learn. I have a few lvl 60's and many more to come.. doing every class in the game ^-^

JRPereira said:
Another thing I do miss in World of Warcraft was the variety of areas and climates that you could travel through and how they were almost seamlessly linked. It really made you feel like there was a world to explore, despite the horrendously long griffon flights and all of the running around.

You have almost sold me to EQ2, but this statement worries me, the best thing about WoW was the endless maps to travel on, and walking to other area's was NOT a load screen just walk right into the next map that has snow, or something ?

so in EQ2, you cant just walk anywhere ? or are there load screen between maps ?

also, can your character move the extact same as in WOW, with the WSQE keys, and mouse to move camera ?

Jason Isom said:
I have a 60th level gnome mage, 40th level gnome warrior, and 40th level gnome warlock on Mannoroth.

I've recently started playing EQ2, and originally I hated it. (I only had tried the trial though)

However, recently I've gotten addicted to EQ2 and I currently have a 21st level Froglok Guardian and a 20th level Froglok Wizard on Mistmoore Server right now.

I love it because it's something different.

What is your Character(s) name(s)?

I am Drykill of the Wicked/Sacred guild on Manno.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I would be bored too if I was still stuck walking around with no mount, and not doing end games isntances and PVP.

I"m bored to tears at 60, being able to do the end game instances and PvP.....
Then again, I made the poor choice of Warlock for a class.

I reactivated my EQ2 account rencently, just to check everything out, and see if I'll stick around for the expansion. EQ2 is supirior to WoW in a lot of ways.
But EQ2 will appeal to the older non-L337 gamer, than it will the
"I want to be the bestest Uberness Mega-R0xX0rz in the game! And I want to do it in 3 days" type.

EQ2 will eat up a lot more of your time, as it seems things move slower in EQ2 vs WoW.
Over all, both good games... Both suffer the same problem.... They will both be borring after time... Just the way it goes.

Labrador said:
You have almost sold me to EQ2, but this statement worries me, the best thing about WoW was the endless maps to travel on, and walking to other area's was NOT a load screen just walk right into the next map that has snow, or something ?

so in EQ2, you cant just walk anywhere ? or are there load screen between maps ?

also, can your character move the extact same as in WOW, with the WSQE keys, and mouse to move camera ?

Going between zones is moreso going between gates of the major towns and antonica and using the mariner's bell (essentially a teleport around to the starting areas of zones). Once you get used to it you end up not caring so much, especially as there's a lot of detail and things to do in most areas, unlike world of warcraft which has a ton of travel time between each useful area.

You might as well download the trial of the isle first and at least get to level 6. It'll give you a decent introduction to the game. My characters are in the butcherblock server if you want an intro to the game, look for Myuug or Gailliem (side with qenos, unless you want to start an evil character and do the betrayal quests).

Captain Al said:
I"m bored to tears at 60, being able to do the end game instances and PvP.....
Then again, I made the poor choice of Warlock for a class.

I reactivated my EQ2 account rencently, just to check everything out, and see if I'll stick around for the expansion. EQ2 is supirior to WoW in a lot of ways.
But EQ2 will appeal to the older non-L337 gamer, than it will the
"I want to be the bestest Uberness Mega-R0xX0rz in the game! And I want to do it in 3 days" type.

EQ2 will eat up a lot more of your time, as it seems things move slower in EQ2 vs WoW.
Over all, both good games... Both suffer the same problem.... They will both be borring after time... Just the way it goes.

Why dont you like your warlock? I just started a warlock that i'm going to level up now becuase I figured it'd be the hardest/funnest class to play.

If you wanna try CoH they gave away 14 day trial codes this weekend. PM or ask a friend that plays CoH for a code if you want to try it. I left SWG 3 weeks ago for CoH and I love it.

You can try it, but after I played EQ 1 to level 52 as a cleric with a 50 ranger I got into EQ2 at launch and while it was fun leveling mostly as a crafter to the high tiers to make items and adventuring felt refreshing it didn't really feel compelling after a while. Me, my cousin, and my brother in law have all cancelled our accounts because we can have just as much fun playing neverwinter nights on the right servers.

Tsumari

I am boggled how someone gets bored before 60. You must have ADD. I enjoyed leveling to 60 becuase there was always something to do. Now to keep me playing is farming rep faction in AV and trying to break 900 atk power with out MC gear other then Striker's mark and quickstrike ring on my rogue.

Devii said:
Tried WoW recently... couldnt get over the way the classes never felt very dependant on others... meaning no one feels needed ;p in GW a team can NOT survive without diversity, same goes for CoH.

How far did you get? Level 20? With exception to very specific situations, even low level instances like Scarlet Monastery in the 30's needs class diversity (at the very least you'd need a priest and tank, most likely some sort of crowd controlling class too), which gets more pronounced as time goes on. End-game is incredibly class dependent, like the first few times my guild beat Majordomo (ninth MC boss), we had to take a certain number of every single class. If even just one or two people from a class out of a raid of 40 wasn't there it just wouldn't happen. Even the 5-mannable instances require certain things, like if you want a Dire Maul north tribute run, you'd better bring a dedicated healer, a warrior, a rogue with 300 lockpicking (killing the first guard and resetting the instance for the key doesn't work anymore, the key disappears when you zone), some kind of off-tank (horde we use shamans, I would assume alliance use paladins, something that can kept themselves alive), and some AoE class (preferably mage), one of these also has to be a tailor or leatherworker.

The only game that's more team dependent that I can think of off-hand is FFXI, which beyond level 10 you can't even make it to the bathroom without a party.

UO when it first started was great till the griefers killed it. The main reason they split the PvP to another area was because you couldn't do anything without being killed constantly. I remember just starting a newbie toon/s and getting jumped repeatedly by groups of pk'er's every time you went out of town....A few weeks of that will kill interest in the game quick ..lol
A month after UOR, I'd probably completely agree with you there. Today though, I realize that the alternative was in fact far worse. The game silently deteriorated starting from UOR. Players, not having to fear death at the hands of other players, came out in force to milk every penny the world had to offer. Inflation rose slowly at first, then with thousands becoming 7xGM mages/tamers/provokers virtually overnight, it skyrocketed. From that, everyone suddenly wanted a home, big ones especially. Prices for those rose considerably. Prices rose for everything in fact, ranging from basic resources like metal, reagents & wood, to crafted goods like armor/weapons & house decors. Prices for rares especially, went stratospheric.

So newbies had almost a zero chance of owning a home after UOR. Newbies, having no fear, will try to go it alone in the world. Death for them would've been handled by bands of friends previously (to protect against PKs), but will now have to run back to town on their own... their corpse at the mercy of looters. Newbies would have been pushed off by others already camping spawn points, making earning money difficult. Persistant newbies would get a GM called on them.

If players couldn't do things because of PKs before, they were almost completely helpless with the patch after.

If youre bored of wow before 60 then I dont think eq2 is for you. Graphically its 3x better, but alas there is no pvp. Its also much more group orientated, if youre not good at making friends online forget it. Soloing in eq2 is boring as hell and not nearly as rewarding as grping.

If they add pvp I might one day go back, the graphics really are amazing and I was more engrossed in the world. Leveleing just to fight npcs for loot at endgame just seemed too boring.

Now that I think of it the fact that the engine is so complex is part of what prevents pvp, my computer could hardly handle a few people on screen at once and this is with a fairly fast comp.

EQ2 is probably even more boring than WoW not because the slower leveling (I actually like that) but because theres just no challenge and the immersion EQ1 had is gone because all the restrictions....Gear, Combat, Levels, everythings restricted it doesnt feel like the free roaming adventure EQ1 was.

EQ2's gameplay is non-existantly boring and dull it's too easy.

The only way I would ever come to EQ2 back is if they put in Risk vs. Reward. I want to feel scared of dying. As it is now it doesnt matter if you die Theres no challenge in EQ2, Click a Bell, kill wussy monsters, most people quit after 3 months. It's sad how SOE took the greatest MMRPG franchise and flushed it down the toilet.

jimbojones1013 said:
What is your Character(s) name(s)?

I am Drykill of the Wicked/Sacred guild on Manno.

Vector was my gnome mage, Array was the gnome warrior, and Stack was my gnome warlock. They were all in <Aegis Order> but I haven't played in a few months. Kind of scared to come back with how the PvP Server Rankings are setup, it would take about a year to catch up to some people on the PvP Ladder unless they reset it.

damn this post. I ended up trying out the game and i'm buying it today. It's a change from just waiting till the next time to do MC. I will stay play WoW once a week at least to do MC but I think i'm going to play EQ2 and see what it has to offer. I liked the trial though.. THe graphics are amazing.. combat is a little slower than wow but not too bad.. I love being able to kick people w/ my fighter ... Feels a lot better than just swiping someone w/ an axe every 3.80 seconds (minus ms). Shield swipe/kick ftw.. I think they need new combat moves in WOW ^-^ The immersion is a lot higher when you actually beat the crap outa someone .. sorta like rogue style. since you do ss, ss, gouge, kidney, bs, kick, etc etc etc. They need some more melee action .. warrior animations seem to be all the same.. at least for tauren they are :(

pillbub said:
EQ2 is probably even more boring than WoW not because the slower leveling (I actually like that) but because theres just no challenge and the immersion EQ1 had is gone because all the restrictions....Gear, Combat, Levels, everythings restricted it doesnt feel like the free roaming adventure EQ1 was.

EQ2's gameplay is non-existantly boring and dull it's too easy.

The only way I would ever come to EQ2 back is if they put in Risk vs. Reward. I want to feel scared of dying. As it is now it doesnt matter if you die Theres no challenge in EQ2, Click a Bell, kill wussy monsters, most people quit after 3 months. It's sad how SOE took the greatest MMRPG franchise and flushed it down the toilet.

They are changing everything around in the expansion which is due in a few days, and if you think that the game is wussy, then you never made it far into the game. Try going to the bottom of Solusek's Eye fighting lvl 52 ^^ Heroic mobs. They are far from wussy, especially when they come raging at you in packs.

And there is plenty of risk vs. reward. If you're into raiding, and join a raid guild similar to the one i'm in, you'd definitely get rewarded for the difficulty of the mobs that you hit. My guild gets Fabled gear nightly when doing their raid runs. There are also small instances geared to 1 and 2 groups which are spread out all over the world. The newest one, The Icy Digs in Everfrost, is very difficult, and some of the best gear i've seen has been coming out of there.

As of now, the only thing that disappoints me is the lack of gear for Mage types. I do have 3 or 4 Fabled and Rare items, but they look the same as other items of the same tier. My Ancient Rallosian Gown looks the same as the Pristine Tailored Linen Gown, which looks the same as Diedre Everlings Robe of Insight, which looks the same as the Cazethite Robe. Same pattern, just slight variations on color.

Mages also get alot of gear that have procs on them that are activated through melee hits either on themselves, or dealt with their weapon. Seeing as our melee skill caps out at lvl 35, we cant hit anything above that anyway. We either miss or are resisted. And then... we shouldnt be meleeing anyway. Thats why we have ranged nukes.

I have a feeling the expansion willl be good though. It extends our levels up to lvl 60, and we get a whole new part of the world to explore. Not to mention our classes are getting a major overhaul. They are putting an end to soloing of heroic type mobs. As it stands now, I can go and solo just about anything in the game save for Epic mobs. Wizards (me) and Warlocks were very overpowered with unbreakable roots that allowed them to keep mobs stationary and unable to attack back.

To the OP:

I think you'll have a great time in EQ2. Just make sure you get up to at LEAST lvl 25 or 30 before passing judgement on your character. Your game really doesnt even start until post 20. Before that is basically learning the basics of your class, and getting a feeling for what you can do.

Techx said:
I loved WOW too at first, hit 52 with my NE rogue, great stuff.. but it just hit the wall for me and got seriously boring, so I quit.. and I will not be going back to any MMO's any time soon.. Maybe they are good for kids that have no responsibilities or people without any motivation to succeed in life but my time will be better spent studying for certifications :)
I'm the owner of a business doing a half million a yet. I still play wow and love it, i just control the ammount of time and level slower than other people... Games, like life, are all what you make of them.

EQ2 in my honest opinion is around the stage of EQ1 when it was at it's first expansion to make a comparison in terms of content/gameplay. It has alot of content and needs work, but it is getting better as it goes along...

Can anyone tell me, how viable is soloing? One thing I fear about picking up this game is that I'll have trouble. I do get a bit of time to play, but its usually in short stints. An hour here, two hours there. I don't get 3-4 hours to sit down and play all that often.

In WOW, I usually level my alts, and the few nights a week where I DO get a lot of play time, I lead my guild into MC and Ony.

Is it a pain sitting around waiting to find a group to do something? Is it somewhat easy to find groups?

After the revamp hits, and even now, there will be plenty of solo type mobs. No worries about that.

One thing I WILL tell you, is build yourself a good reputation on the server, and join a guild. Joining a guild will VERY MUCH further your gaming experience. You will have fewer problems getting groups, though i've not had many issues getting any groups in the past. There may be downtime looking for a group, but that is going to be natural for any MMO.

I'd be playing EQ2 right now if it wasn't for:

1.) Small raid sizes (20 ish is average raid. Bigger raid size is better experience)
2.) Load screens everywhere.
3.) Still too few solo content, considering you need to solo a lot nowadays with so few people.
4.) Crappy combat system. (slow, and their "fix" to locked combat isn't fooling me.)
5.) Bad animation, and characters look crappy.

I played WoW for a long time but end-game is non-existant at the moment. No, MC and BWL are not enough. Seriously that's WoW's only weakness.

Playing EQ2 for almost 2 years now. I frankly love it.

Depends on you, and your playstyle. And YES there is PVP now. I have a 23 Monk (VERY cool fighting animations on monks) on Nagafen (non-roleplaying PVP)

And a 69 Wizard on Blackburrow (PVE).

Frankly, I have been totally anti PvP since my first attempt at an MMORPG (UO) I was griefed and ganked so much in the first 30 minutes, I ripped out the CD broke it in half and stomped on it for a good half hour.
HOWEVER, I think Sony has done a good job with their PvP ruleset. Its a dangerous as hell world out there in PvP, but very challenging, very little griefing.

The world is Huge! the original world is there, and now two expansions, Desert of Flame was very good, and the latest Kingdom of Sky is wicked cool. Raiding, endgame, I do not believe there is any other game out there that can come even close to the diversity and incredible expanses of places to go, things to do.

Kablammo / Kerfu

Trepidati0n said:
As a side note....last night a guild on our sever finally took down the second boss in BWL. Imagine shamans chaining earth bind totems in a circle creating a swirling mass of 60 mobs that looks like a vortex. The video I saw of the fight is nuts....requires an insane amount of coordination.

Bah, I hate to do this, but...

The 2nd boss in Blackwing Lair is Vaelstraz, and he does not require anything really special, save maybe the rather challenging tank switches. You are probably talking about the 1st boss, Razorgore, who does require insane amounts of coordination and slows/kiting.

Back on topic, I cancelled my WoW subscription too. 60 Rogue, 54 Hunter, 53 Warrior. Nothing new after you kill Nefarian. AQ isn't even all that great, it's the same thing all over again.

I dunno if you're soley looking for a good multiplayer experience, but if you're up for it, check out oblivion. I've gotten so much more out of it as a singleplayer experience than my multiplayer experiences in world of warcraft, everquest 2, city of heros, and final fantasy 11 combined.

Back