Bored with WoW, should I try EQII ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I loved World Of Warcraft to death when it first released, it is my first mmorpg and I played it every night for hours for about 3months, then went to like every other day, which changed to couple times a week, then every other week, now I dont even care for the game. and after all that my character is not even 40th level :confused:

I love the feel of the game, the sounds are amazing with birds, and waterfalls, etc... The control of your character is perfect, I love using the wsqe keys to move, and the graphics at 1920x1200 maxxed options look stunning :)

But now that I am sick of it, I wonder if I would like EverQuest2 ?

Why not its cheap these days. Be forewarned, you probably won't find another MMO that you'll love as much as your first or one that you'll think of as fondly as your first.

neuroquake said:
Why not its cheap these days. Be forewarned, you probably won't find another MMO that you'll love as much as your first or one that you'll think of as fondly as your first.

True SWG was my first and I never got the same enjoyment out of the 5 mmo's I played afterwards even if they had superior designs.

neuroquake said:
Not me, EQOA for PS2 sucked ass :p

Karafias said:
how could you possibly not hit 40 after all that?

Pretty sure it would be the reason he's bored.

I would be bored too if I was still stuck walking around with no mount, and not doing end games isntances and PVP.

Were you in the [H] Guild?

I have a 60th level gnome mage, 40th level gnome warrior, and 40th level gnome warlock on Mannoroth.

I've recently started playing EQ2, and originally I hated it. (I only had tried the trial though)

However, recently I've gotten addicted to EQ2 and I currently have a 21st level Froglok Guardian and a 20th level Froglok Wizard on Mistmoore Server right now.

I love it because it's something different.

peacetilence said:
True SWG was my first and I never got the same enjoyment out of the 5 mmo's I played afterwards even if they had superior designs.

SWG was my first, and I didn't mind quitting. Now the 2 new expansions are out, and even though I dislike the whole shape ship part... I stilll... want... to play. (Don't ask me why)

Anyone still play? how is it? buggy? any people left?
:confused:

If you arn't a Jedi don't bother playing. The dev's cater to the jedi more than ever, and new content is centered around Jedi. Not to mention the GCW is still non-existant, and their is pretty much no risk for jedi leveling now.

Try it for sure, there's a free trial available so it needent cost anything to take a look at the basic game, be aware though that the trail island is a tiny part of the game and you'll be limited to level 6 which you can get to in about an hour. There's also a major patch due in a few weeks that will have significant effect on combat I believe.

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/

Dano.

neuroquake said:

Very friggin true. I love SWG over every MMO out right now. Just bored with it.

JustinSane said:
Very friggin true. I love SWG over every MMO out right now. Just bored with it.

SWG was my first MMO, and it just got old. I was pratically the only non-jedi character in my guild, and I never wanted to be one. I preferred hunting them down with my rifleman pre-CU when I could sweep the floor with them. After the CU though, I feel like my weapons were split in half damage-wise, and all my modded clothes/armor became unusable and useless. I had only one char, but it just got tiring after I got my jetpack, bh armor... etc.

I loved WOW too at first, hit 52 with my NE rogue, great stuff.. but it just hit the wall for me and got seriously boring, so I quit.. and I will not be going back to any MMO's any time soon.. Maybe they are good for kids that have no responsibilities or people without any motivation to succeed in life but my time will be better spent studying for certifications :)

Techx said:
I loved WOW too at first, hit 52 with my NE rogue, great stuff.. but it just hit the wall for me and got seriously boring, so I quit.. and I will not be going back to any MMO's any time soon.. Maybe they are good for kids that have no responsibilities or people without any motivation to succeed in life but my time will be better spent studying for certifications :)

:rolleyes: yeah for generalizations and stereotypes.

Techx said:

You my dear forum member are definately special.

As a side note....last night a guild on our sever finally took down the second boss in BWL. Imagine shamans chaining earth bind totems in a circle creating a swirling mass of 60 mobs that looks like a vortex. The video I saw of the fight is nuts....requires an insane amount of coordination.

-tReP

Badger_sly said:
"Bored with WoW, should I try EQII ?"

Yes, definitely.

No..

but don't just go out and buy it.. they have a trial going on for 14 days or something i think. Try that out to see how boring it is. My friends from wow just tried it and they said it sucked.. not as populated as WoW so less grouping for particular quests and no pvp.. What kind of game is a game w/out pvp???

I can't believe after that much time you didn't get above 40.. takes like 2 weeks to get above 40 and maybe another 2 weeks to hit 60. Some people can do it in a matter of days but they don't hold jobs etc. ^-^ But if you played as much as you sound like you did.. there's no reason you shouldn't of gotten to the end game content.
-Dill

neuroquake said:

Haha. Ultima Online (pre Ren) will always be the best MMO that has ever been made. Makes me sad to think what they have done to it now. Last I heard they were adding races into the game. Ug.

But I am playing WoW now. Its a blast.

2 weeks to get to 40?? Maybe if you play 15 hours per day.

I've been playing steadily for about 6 months now, maybe 2 hours a night on average, and I'm level 57. It's been alot of fun too :)

Although, I still have a special place in my heart for Lineage II which I played for about 11 months. I felt like Lineage II had a better community, and was a much more social game than WOW.

PKFGimpy said:
2 weeks to get to 40?? Maybe if you play 15 hours per day.

I've been playing steadily for about 6 months now, maybe 2 hours a night on average, and I'm level 57. It's been alot of fun too :)

Although, I still have a special place in my heart for Lineage II which I played for about 11 months. I felt like Lineage II had a better community, and was a much more social game than WOW.

The average to get to 60 is somewhere around 12 days played time, so thats 288 hours. I think most people need more then 2 weeks to do that.

Draax said:
The average to get to 60 is somewhere around 12 days played time, so thats 288 hours. I think most people need more then 2 weeks to do that.

There would be 3.42 hours per day where they weren't playing WoW if they managed 288 hours in 2 weeks.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
There would be 3.42 hours per day where they weren't playing WoW if they managed 288 hours in 2 weeks.

You could do it seleste :) Might have to get the paddles out again tho. :D

Beowulf said:
Haha. Ultima Online (pre Ren) will always be the best MMO that has ever been made. Makes me sad to think what they have done to it now. Last I heard they were adding races into the game. Ug.

But I am playing WoW now. Its a blast.

Yeah preUOR UO was the best MMO ever. There will never be a MMO like it again. UO had grit and balls back when MMO's weren't so popular. Instead of excellent niche games we are now pounded by mediocre games meant to appeal to as many people as possible.

That said, I do actually enjoy WoW a bit (on a pvp server of course).

dissonance said:
Yeah preUOR UO was the best MMO ever. There will never be a MMO like it again. UO had grit and balls back when MMO's weren't so popular. Instead of excellent niche games we are now pounded by mediocre games meant to appeal to as many people as possible.

That said, I do actually enjoy WoW a bit (on a pvp server of course).

which server are you on?

Draax said:
You could do it seleste :) Might have to get the paddles out again tho. :D

Absolutely. if it wasn't for this blasted job. I need to get back on and work on the priest thoughh.

Luxor said:
SWG was my first, and I didn't mind quitting. Now the 2 new expansions are out, and even though I dislike the whole shape ship part... I stilll... want... to play. (Don't ask me why)

Anyone still play? how is it? buggy? any people left?
:confused:

Not that buggy, people are jerks though. Too many Jedis running around and there's people leaving professions that play a positive role on the games "economy", to become jedi. Lame :(

EQ2 isn't bad if you play it slow imho. If all you want to do is get to the end game asap, then it probably won't be to your tastes.
UO when it first started was great till the griefers killed it. The main reason they split the PvP to another area was because you couldn't do anything without being killed constantly. I remember just starting a newbie toon/s and getting jumped repeatedly by groups of pk'er's every time you went out of town....A few weeks of that will kill interest in the game quick ..lol

20 days played to a lvl 59 priest. From what I have seen 18-20 days playing time is average for a character to get to 60 for a semi-casual gamer, some classes like rogues are faster though.

Keep in mind that going off and crafting and other crap will delay your ding for level 60. Perhaps we should be putting these times into grinding time? WoW got really old for me, I've got to level 40 twice now and I always lose interest. FFXI is great if you play slow and have voice chat with people you know, then again so are all MMO's. Just use trials if you can and if not just see what sounds like it'll float your boat, nobody can really tell you what you're gonna like, everyone likes something different, which is why there is no perfect game.

Once you get to a higher level i think you can enjoy the game even more. High level instances/raids/warsong gulch is fun as hell.

IMO end game content is over rated. I had a lvl 60 NE hunter and I just found myself pouring more and more time into getting high lvl gear. It turned into a job instead something rewarding and fun like lvls 1 to 60 were. I just don't like the idea of spending three hours on a raid for the hope that I might get a chance to roll on an epic...let alone win it. For me, I'm going to wait for Oblivion to replace WoW.

Oh, and Warsong Gultch is fun if you are on the Horde's side. For alliance its gouge your eyes out frustrating.

my .02

Twelve to thirteen days played to level 60 is only a good average figure for someone who has had a lot of experience with WoW or is seriously twinked/babysat by a guild/friends. Most first-timers take anywhere from 15-25 days played. Average, hardcore, or casual gaming has much less to do with it. Doing eight hours straight vs. eight hours spread over a week are both still eight hours of played time (although the casual eight hours over the week would accumulate more rest).

Like others have said, most people get bored with any MMO if they do not get involved in the community aspect. Prior to joining a somewhat large guild that regularly uses Vent and does end-game raiding, being level 60 sucked. Now I find it is far more fun than I ever had when I bought the game, made my first character, and started leveling him up.

So whatever you play, whether it be FFXI (which I found to be technically and mechanically a very good game, but again I didn't get into the community), EQII, or WoW, don't go into it thinking you're going to have a blast for years to come if you play solo. If you go solo/pickup-group, expect the game to have a shelf-life equivalent of most single-player PC games.

Trial of the Isle on the EQ website totally free, you can play up to 6th lvl on the starter island, and the chars' transfer if you start an account. I payed 10 bucks for the game and it came with a free month.

Took my char up to 20th lvl, it's pretty fun. Not as accessible as WoW, but deeper...much deeper.(The crafting is crazy deep) Not as many people on the game either, tho PvP coming and that may help.

My main advice is to just take a break from WoW, it helps. I got to 42 on my Shammy, and just quit. 2 months later, I want to play again, so that might help you, too.(playing warlock this time, tho, many more buttons to push.) Hope this helps. :)

Neurofreeze said:
Twelve to thirteen days played to level 60 is only a good average figure for someone who has had a lot of experience with WoW or is seriously twinked/babysat by a guild/friends. Most first-timers take anywhere from 15-25 days played. Average, hardcore, or casual gaming has much less to do with it. Doing eight hours straight vs. eight hours spread over a week are both still eight hours of played time (although the casual eight hours over the week would accumulate more rest).

Yes sorry, I was not clear with the 12 days played time. 12 days played time if all you do is grind / quest / run instances for experience. If you craft or explore of do BG, then the time will increase.

My first MMO was EQ. Three years later and 1 year 38 days played I quit. It just ran out of worthy content for me. I got WoW and played a ne rogue to 50 and dropped it the first month. The problem with wow was the lack of gaming challenge. It was so easy I got to 50 in 3 weeks, no guild, and with only a handfull of groups.

I'm now playing eq2 and though I still like eq1's class system better I like that eq2 is challanging. worth a look, but there is alot of eq1 lore missed that add to the game if your first mmo was wow.

If you do get EQ2, do yourself a favor and stay away from the lower populated servers. I play on one of the most populated non-roleplaying servers, and it's really nice. I do however read some forums where they complain about their server lacking population...so it would be nice if SoE would combine some servers for them.

m4rine said:
20 days played to a lvl 59 priest. From what I have seen 18-20 days playing time is average for a character to get to 60 for a semi-casual gamer, some classes like rogues are faster though.

Priest is the 2nd fastest leveling class out there (once you get to 20). The only thing you can't be stingy on is water. Killx5...drink....Killx5.....drink. The grind rate speed is pretty amazing.

-tReP

Back