Borderlands Tweaks: Mouse Smoothing Off, FOV, More..

96redformula

2[H]4U
Here's where they came from: http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1590391&postcount=1

Just so you all know, some of these make a big difference, particularly mouse smoothing off and the higher FOV...

Here's a few tweaks I've come across and found that might help people with 'deconsolizing' Borderlands. I'm going to assume you all know where the location of these INI files are (Usually in USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config in Vista).

To disable the startup movies:
-----------------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
//StartupMovies=2K_logo
//StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
//StartupMovies=NVidia
//StartupMovies=Loading
//SkippableMovies=2K_logo
//SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
//SkippableMovies=Attract
//SkippableMovies=NVidia

If that doesn't work, replace the // with ;

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
-----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Below the chunk of bindings on the first section/paragraph, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

To disable mouse smoothing:
----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

bEnableMouseSmoothing=True

Change to FALSE. This tremendously improves the feel of the mouse when looking around in-game and navigating the UI.

To disable/adjust weapon view bob:
----------------------------------
Within WillowGame.ini:
Search for "bWeaponBob" and you should come across the following lines:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
-----------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
---------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
------------------
*NOTE: This currently doesn't work correctly, it outputs all commands as 'SAY' commands*

Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "ConsoleKey" and you should come across the following line:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
-------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

Bindings=(Name="V",Command="ThrowWeapon",Control=F alse,Shift=False,Alt=False)

To make zoom a toggle (courtesy of Miker):
--------------------------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:

Add the text below under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomOut",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftT rigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTr igger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Then, edit the preexisting RightMouseButton binding to reflect the change:

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advance dbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt =False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

to

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ZoomIn" ,Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

To enable scroll wheel in text boxes:
-----------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini

Search for all instances of the following (there should only be two instances):

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp",ModifierKeyFlags=42
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown",ModifierKeyFlags=42

remove the ",ModifierKeyFlags=42" so they look like:

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp"
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown"

Last edited:
FOV just changes back to normal after I sprint.

I was wondering about that. Apparently they haven't figured out a way yet to make the FOV adjustments stick the whole time.

One thing I'm not clear on: If you change any of these values in the .inis, do you have to go into properties and set that .ini to read only to make sure the computer doesn't change it back or does whatever you do stick?

I haven't dug in yet, but could you make a macro to call sprint, then when you release L-Shift it redoes the FOV macro?

Haven't had a chance to change the FoV values yet, but this link changes the values in two places. Perhaps this fixes the "sprint" issue? Looks a little different from what I've been seeing.

http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/2009/10/borderlands-how-to-enable-vsync-enable.html

The issue that I have is rectified if I'm playing in my own game (or if I hosted my own game). If I join a game hosted by a friend, it resets every time I sprint, which is totally fucking retarded.

I haven't dug in yet, but could you make a macro to call sprint, then when you release L-Shift it redoes the FOV macro?

Here's a joke you can tell to your computer friends.

Question: What's a macro?
Answer: A tasty salt-water fish.

The only time the FOV gets undone is when I jump in and out of a vehicle. Other than that its fine. Thanks for the info OP.

Superb. Thanks for posting the useful tweaks 96redformula. I was reading through the 40 pages of the Borderlands thread and picking bits out but this helps a lot

Guys, any 3D Vision users here with tweaks?
With 3D Vision the game hiccups every often. If you rename the exe to fallout3 for example it goes away but while I can look around and shoot with the mouse, I cannot move with the keyboard!
I can move if I connect a 360 controller but that sucks...
any ideas?
Thanks

I changed my config the way OP said to for FOV. For the people that are saying the FOV resets after sprinting, are you sure that its not just the sprint effect ending? When you start sprinting the game gives you a wider fov to make it seem like your running fast, its a very noticeable difference.

this game seems like a consolized PITA, I hope they fix most of it soon, then I will buy it :)

this game seems like a consolized PITA, I hope they fix most of it soon, then I will buy it :)

Wait until you see the options menu. I mean how fucking hard is it to port an options menu for god's sake.

I changed my config the way OP said to for FOV. For the people that are saying the FOV resets after sprinting, are you sure that its not just the sprint effect ending? When you start sprinting the game gives you a wider fov to make it seem like your running fast, its a very noticeable difference.

No it resets back to the default FoV after you stop sprinting, 100% sure.

For me I have to toggle the FOV with the F key then once I have sprinted it goes back to standard horribly skewed console FOV. Pressing the F key again puts it back and it seems to stick after the second press. Sprinting looks strangely wide angled now, like in a tunnel. This game really is a PITA to get right, I'm bored of tinkering with it I just want to play it.

Consolisation, 100% with this one. A damn shame, it's really starting to get on my tits.

Found out that placing -dx9 into the target box really makes the game much smoother, unsure why but it works.

The FOV will reset after sprinting when playing online, yeah. One thing you can do is make a dual-bind and set the FOV setting to one of your movement keys so that everytime you move forward the FOV is reset. That'll work for online games. I'm not sure what the exact method is to do that, though, but I saw someone post some code for it somewhere.

crap i better go grab my disc out of the garbage box of discs to see if these settings actually make a difference.. otherwise back in the box it goes..

Found out that placing -dx9 into the target box really makes the game much smoother, unsure why but it works.

I think this is a bug with Vista/7. Dont think it exist in XP.. not unless you have XP :p

I just wanted to thank 96redformula...I really wasn't bothered by the fov but tweaking to 110 really is much better!

Thanks.

The FOV will reset after sprinting when playing online, yeah. One thing you can do is make a dual-bind and set the FOV setting to one of your movement keys so that everytime you move forward the FOV is reset. That'll work for online games. I'm not sure what the exact method is to do that, though, but I saw someone post some code for it somewhere.

this. I have my FOV change set to my "w" key. So every time I move forward after getting out of a vehicle or after sprint, etc it'll set the FOV back to what I want. Here's what my "w" key looks like in the input file:

Bindings=(Name="W",Command="MoveForward | Axis aGas Speed=+1.0 | FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

All you need to do is add: | FOV 90 (or whatever number) after the Axis aGas Speed.

for some reason when I try the FOV fix/any of the other fixes that require you to add something under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput] the game breaks and the only thing i can do is start the game and adjust my FOV haha.

Anyone have any ideas?

Back