Borderlands 2: Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that have been patiently waiting for a level cap increase for Borderlands 2, the wait is over. The bad news is that Gearbox is charging for the level cap increase. :(

Changes in 4/2 Software Update (Free)
  • One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type, at 50 Eridium each.
  • Two more backpack storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
  • Two more bank storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
  • Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.
  • Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
  • Various bug fixes.

Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack
(Free with Season Pass, $4.99 / 400 Microsoft Points separately)
  • Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
  • Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
  • Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics and rare Pearlescent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

Pay to buy, pay to play, pay to advance. Lets the cash train keep on rolling.

Would be nice if the game had mod support, then Gearbox could stop worry about the correct way to raise the level cap and what to charge for it.

Please. This upgrade is for fans of the game, not casuals. And those people tend to have the season pass already which makes this update free.

Please. This upgrade is for fans of the game, not casuals. And those people tend to have the season pass already which makes this update free.
Not only that but as far as I can tell the season pass ($30) is still available for purchase, allowing even the latest game buyers to get everything but the Mechromancer (available for $5 separately) and costume items at a significant discount.

Post to whine, post to bicker. Let's keep the sadface unhappy... ;)

No one is forced to make these purchases. Beat on a game that has less value, scope or replayability. The base game alone, at regular price, has provided me and several friends (and I think others too) with hundreds of hours of game play. The replay value of this game has been tremendous if you play with friends online. The co-op is outstanding.

So, yes keep blaming the companies for cashing in on quality products :rolleyes:

I have the base game but never got round to finishing it. Think I'll wait to the whole lot of DLC goes on sale as that's the only way you'll ever find value in franchises that do DLC this aggressively.

Not only that but as far as I can tell the season pass ($30) is still available for purchase, allowing even the latest game buyers to get everything but the Mechromancer (available for $5 separately) and costume items at a significant discount.

OMG you're right! All those idiots complaining about DLC raping the gaming industry are such fools! They should all be renting the game so they get most of the DLC 'Free" $30 is a steal to rent the game for 2 months!!!!!!!!!!

I have the base game but never got round to finishing it. Think I'll wait to the whole lot of DLC goes on sale as that's the only way you'll ever find value in franchises that do DLC this aggressively.
No, that's the way to cheap out. That's a valid lifestyle choice (one I practice often), but it sounds like you didn't care that much for the game anyway. So why would you even think about paying more into it?

OMG you're right! All those idiots complaining about DLC raping the gaming industry are such fools! They should all be renting the game so they get most of the DLC 'Free" $30 is a steal to rent the game for 2 months!!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty sure you're mad about something but I think even you would have a hard time figuring out what that something is.
Except they're cashing in on what should have been a free upgrade. I mean, charging for level cap increase? Seriously?
They're only charging the people who are least likely to care in the first place. Those clamoring for more level-ups are the most likely to have already paid the $30 for the season pass. Personally, I think anyone who's been paying for each DLC separately is a sucker, especially since Gearbox has met or exceeded every expectation for post-release support and they've kept the season pass available. If they were really trying to cash in on every last potential dollar, they would have canceled the availability season pass after the first DLC was released.

The bottom line is that there's no way anyone can claim the base game is incomplete or too short. Thus, charging for more stuff doesn't seem unreasonable or greedy; it seems like smart business.

When they do something similar for AvP, complaints will be understandable but Borderlands 2 is good and possibly even great.

I just can't wait to go home from work today and play! I stopped at the end of the game because of the level cap and I didn't play any of the expansion as well because of it but now that it's out it's time to start it back up! I pre ordered the game and season pass but held out for the level cap.

Like others have said Co-op is a blast and between my brothers and all of our friends it's not hard to get a 3-4 man co-op going plus we all get one team speak so it's a great time and a lot of fun for how little really costs when you look at how many hours of fun you can have.

I'm not debating whether or not the game is good...I got a lot of playtime out of it, I enjoyed it. But these practices shouldn't be supported regardless of what the game is. It's cool that Season Pass owners get it for free but that doesn't excuse the practice.

And they kinda already did do that with A:CM...$15 for Bug Hunt was insane.

With the original Borderlands, the level cap raise was part of three of the DLC. Instead they separate it this time, to get an extra $5 dollars. Its a good game, not as good as the first one (I want to play Roland again!!!), but definitely worth acquiring the DLC's during a Steam sale.

I'm not debating whether or not the game is good...I got a lot of playtime out of it, I enjoyed it. But these practices shouldn't be supported regardless of what the game is. It's cool that Season Pass owners get it for free but that doesn't excuse the practice.
It might help if you consider it paying $5 for the new (Ultimate True Vault Hunter) game mode. I suspect that there are technical reasons why they split the day's update the way they did, making the new mode "free" and the new weapons/level cap increase $5.
And they kinda already did do that with A:CM...$15 for Bug Hunt was insane.
I didn't know that. Blech.

Believe me, I wouldn't cut any game company breaks when they don't deliver the goods, but I do think these practices should be supported for good games, especially when they're entirely optional.

I don't like and generally don't pay for DLC, but this $5 is a whole lot cheaper for a level cap increase plus a few more things, then what Blizzard charges for "level cap increases" which is what comes with expansions.

I don't like and generally don't pay for DLC, but this $5 is a whole lot cheaper for a level cap increase plus a few more things, then what Blizzard charges for "level cap increases" which is what comes with expansions.
Well, one argument being made (by vicsrealms for example) is that if the level cap increase was folded into an expansion DLC it would be more palatable. This is what Blizzard does; they don't just add levels, they add content and increase the level cap to accommodate the new content. That's why I think considering the $5 payment for the update as a whole - including the new game made - might make it more reasonable for some folks. I know that I wouldn't play Borderlands 2 through again in a new mode unless I could at least level up a couple times in the process

All I know is that I'm getting it for nothing and it gives me an excuse to play my Mechromancer again, which I will do right after work. She was pretty overpowered for everything but the raid bosses and it'll be fun making her even more ridiculous. :)

Just buy the Season pass!

When I first read the title I assumed everyone has to pay but I already bought the season pass months ago so will be downloading this tonight.

At 1700 PST I'll be heading home to partake in the fun! After, of course, the update completes downloading. :D

Just buy the Season pass!

When I first read the title I assumed everyone has to pay but I already bought the season pass months ago so will be downloading this tonight.

Everyone does have to pay for it........

It might help if you consider it paying $5 for the new (Ultimate True Vault Hunter) game mode. I suspect that there are technical reasons why they split the day's update the way they did, making the new mode "free" and the new weapons/level cap increase $5.

I didn't know that. Blech.

Believe me, I wouldn't cut any game company breaks when they don't deliver the goods, but I do think these practices should be supported for good games, especially when they're entirely optional.

You can thank Microsoft for that - they force developers to charge for DLC. And so they're hamstrung to an extent because if they make it free on PC but charge on consoles, there would be no end to the uproar.

You can thank Microsoft for that - they force developers to charge for DLC. And so they're hamstrung to an extent because if they make it free on PC but charge on consoles, there would be no end to the uproar.
No. Just, no. According to that argument Microsoft wouldn't let them give the new game mode for free, yet that's what's happening.

What Microsoft does do is make game developers/publishers pay to distribute updates. They charge a fixed fee for QA and distribution. The customer gets not only the benefit of the updated game but they get an incredibly fast update process (in terms of both transfer speed and the size of the package) in the bargain.

Significant discount is in the eye of the beholder... This level bump is the first item in the Pass in which people are saving money.

The pricing the DLC system of this game is confusing the pretty much what is wrong with Season Passes and DLC.

For $30 you get 3 DLC, what do you know they charge 9.99... so it's actually more expensive (by only 2 cents but its still more).

The Mechromacer pack and creature dome are not included in the season pass.

But wait order now and we will throw in other packs for your characters... which amounts to a new skin from the Steam description.

I think it is low to charge for more levels and skill points, which they are basically doing. This isn't F2P, that would be a bit different.

Now if they actually included everything in the season pass, it would be more worth it.

Also to put it into perspective..

EA... EA! Gives better Season Pass deal.... BF3 at least you knew you were getting a free DLC with the pass.

I have no problem with them charging for the upgrade pack. After all it is time and resources they spend to develop the new content. The only thing I see that is odd is the ultimate vault hunter mode is free but you have to pay for the level cap increase. Those two go hand in hand.

Significant discount is in the eye of the beholder... This level bump is the first item in the Pass in which people are saving money.

The pricing the DLC system of this game is confusing the pretty much what is wrong with Season Passes and DLC.

For $30 you get 3 DLC, what do you know they charge 9.99... so it's actually more expensive (by only 2 cents but its still more).

The Mechromacer pack and creature dome are not included in the season pass.

But wait order now and we will throw in other packs for your characters... which amounts to a new skin from the Steam description.

I think it is low to charge for more levels and skill points, which they are basically doing. This isn't F2P, that would be a bit different.

Now if they actually included everything in the season pass, it would be more worth it.
Wrong, wrong, etc. For $30, you get FOUR DLC packs, three of which have been released so far.

Good gravy, does no one actually pay attention to anything anymore?

No. Just, no. According to that argument Microsoft wouldn't let them give the new game mode for free, yet that's what's happening.

What Microsoft does do is make game developers/publishers pay to distribute updates. They charge a fixed fee for QA and distribution. The customer gets not only the benefit of the updated game but they get an incredibly fast update process (in terms of both transfer speed and the size of the package) in the bargain.

HUH? That's not what I said. They *aren't* giving the game mode for free if people don't have a season pass.

I have no problem with them charging for the upgrade pack. After all it is time and resources they spend to develop the new content. The only thing I see that is odd is the ultimate vault hunter mode is free but you have to pay for the level cap increase. Those two go hand in hand.

The only thing on the list of features that could possibly be defined as "new content" is the "Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode."

I read that as "new difficulty"
That's the same content, but at a harder difficulty.
The previous DLCs all had new areas and new missions. THAT is "new content".
These patches add ZERO content. They just string you along with small increased stash size, eridium storage & char level.

Pearlescent weapons simply have more mods & higher damage numbers. This is the only part that is arguably "new content".

I bought the season pass before the first DLC was released. This free DLC & premium DLC for level 61 doesn't add any new zones, and no new missions.

This is just fulfilling their agreement to give the season pass holders 4 DLCs. They want to make more money on the "unnamed DLC" pack (with Krieg) to be released in late June.

And here you have it:
"Although Krieg has to be paid for separately"

Krieg is not included in the Borderlands 2 season pass and will carry a $9.99 price tag or 800 MSP.

Further... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content

Microsoft has been known to require developers to charge for their content, when the developers would rather release their content for free.[13] Some content has even been withheld from release because the developer refused to charge the amount Microsoft required.[13][14] Epic Games, known for continual support of their older titles with downloadable updates, believed that releasing downloadable content over the course of a game's lifetime helped increase sales throughout, and had succeeded well with that business-model in the past, but was required to implement fees for downloads when releasing content for their Microsoft-published game, Gears of War.[13]

Not sure where you've been but thats how its always been with XBL...

HUH? That's not what I said. They *aren't* giving the game mode for free if people don't have a season pass.
Gee, I guess this is the second page, so I shouldn't expect that people can actually read the original post anymore. I'll quote it below so that you don't have to go to all the trouble of clicking.
Changes in 4/2 Software Update (Free)

One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type, at 50 Eridium each.
Two more backpack storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
Two more bank storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.
Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
Various bug fixes.
Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack

(Free with Season Pass, $4.99 / 400 Microsoft Points separately)

Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
Powerful new "Ancient" E-Tech relics and rare Pearlescent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

This is just fulfilling their agreement to give the season pass holders 4 DLCs. They want to make more money on the "unnamed DLC" pack (with Krieg) to be released in late June.

So much FUD in this thread. This UVHM pack is not the "4th DLC". Try googling "bunkers and badasses"

Further... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content

Microsoft has been known to require developers to charge for their content, when the developers would rather release their content for free.[13] Some content has even been withheld from release because the developer refused to charge the amount Microsoft required.[13][14] Epic Games, known for continual support of their older titles with downloadable updates, believed that releasing downloadable content over the course of a game's lifetime helped increase sales throughout, and had succeeded well with that business-model in the past, but was required to implement fees for downloads when releasing content for their Microsoft-published game, Gears of War.[13]

Not sure where you've been but thats how its always been with XBL...
See above in bold. "Microsoft-published."

It also likely depends on the size of the content offered; hosting and distribution cost money. I have absolutely downloaded free DLC for games on Xbox Live. "Has been known to require" does not mean "always requires."

So much FUD in this thread. This UVHM pack is not the "4th DLC". Try googling "bunkers and badasses"

Not FUD.
I can count. Too bad you can't.

1. Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
2. Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
3. Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
4. ?? Psycho and UVHM DLC (costs money)
5. Unnamed 4th DLC "badasses and bunkers"

So you're telling me that UVHM is DLC 3.5?
It's free to DLC holders, but costs extra for non-DLC players?

That to me is the 4th DLC.
I'm glad I can count.
Too bad the guys at 2k can't.

You just believe what they tell you. That's okay.

Not FUD.
I can count. Too bad you can't.

1. Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty
2. Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
3. Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
4. ?? Psycho and UVHM DLC (costs money)
5. Unnamed 4th DLC "badasses and bunkers"

So you're telling me that UVHM is DLC 3.5?
It's free to DLC holders, but costs extra for non-DLC players?

That to me is the 4th DLC.
I'm glad I can count.
Too bad the guys at 2k can't.

You just believe what they tell you. That's okay.
Either you're not bothering to put in any effort or you're trying way too hard...

From Gearbox's home page:
Don't forget there's more to come for Borderlands 2: Krieg the Psycho, a new playable character, arrives in May with the fourth campaign add-on (included in the Season Pass) hitting by the end of June!

This is actually pretty cool of Gearbox aimed directly at fans of the first game

Those of us supporting the studio pre-ordered the game for around $35 bucks and the season pass was on sale pre-sale for $15. It's still offered occasionally at $15. Seems if anything the $5 dollar price tag is meant to induce people to buy the pass (thereby saving $15 bucks) and give them some cash flow to help fund the final DLC for the pass.

But not only that there's a huge Tiny Tina following, the game is repeatedly said to be heavily inspired by Diablo and by further extension D & D. Their final pass DLC features Tiny Tina and the original cast playing a D & D game and her rolling multi-sided dice, which is a fairly obscure reference for the current generation of kids but a cool retro twist for adults.

One of the main requests was a level cap increase...delivered
Another popular request was enemy scaling...delivered

Back