Borderland 2 with Physx... AMD owner woes :(

Looks great, though I'm not sure my 580GTX alone will be able to run at 19x12 with physx on...we shall see.

Looks great, though I'm not sure my 580GTX alone will be able to run at 19x12 with physx on...we shall see.

maybe! the 660ti can do it. . at an average of 60fps doesnt look like the game is crazy demanding or anything ;)

maybe! the 660ti can do it. . at an average of 60fps doesnt look like the game is crazy demanding or anything ;)

oh were there benches that I've missed? or am I being extremely thick and this video was being shown on a 660ti with the settings listed?

I'd be a very happy camper if I could run with these settings on (and not have to get a secondary card!).

I don't recall the first Borderlands being all that GPU intensive when it was released...I doubt the second one will be, either.

oh were there benches that I've missed? or am I being extremely thick and this video was being shown on a 660ti with the settings listed?

I'd be a very happy camper if I could run with these settings on (and not have to get a secondary card!).

they listed it in some advertisements thats why theres a borderlands 2 promotion im sure

78 fps on average with a 660ti on max settings it said. unfortunately I have no link

i did find this though.

take this with a grain of salt though as it is from nvidia directly

http://www.ge force.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/embed/comparison-chart-660ti-470-260.png

its blocked so you'll have to type it in

they listed it in some advertisements thats why theres a borderlands 2 promotion im sure

78 fps on average with a 660ti on max settings it said. unfortunately I have no link

i did find this though.

take this with a grain of salt though as it is from nvidia directly

http://www.ge force.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/embed/comparison-chart-660ti-470-260.png

its blocked so you'll have to type it in

Nice, thanks man. I'm keeping the hope alive.

Might try to get one of my old 460's back from a nephew so I can experiment with pairing it with my 7950. Wonder what the difference in performance is between a 460 and a 430 for PhysX? I could order a 430 today for sh*ts and giggles though.

Is it worthwhile enough of an experience getting it to work? Or something that I'm going to end up reinstalling my OS to get rid of the headache. No I'm not going to buy a 680 as I was just looking to have some fun with my PC. I'm very happy with my 7950 as is.

:)

Might try to get one of my old 460's back from a nephew so I can experiment with pairing it with my 7950. Wonder what the difference in performance is between a 460 and a 430 for PhysX? I could order a 430 today for sh*ts and giggles though.

Is it worthwhile enough of an experience getting it to work? Or something that I'm going to end up reinstalling my OS to get rid of the headache. No I'm not going to buy a 680 as I was just looking to have some fun with my PC. I'm very happy with my 7950 as is.

:)

looks like its worthwhile to me atleast for this game.. probably the best implementation i have seen for physx it looks really good

http://www.primagames.com/games/borderlands-2/news/borderlands-2-interview-gearbox-software

Borderlands 2 should have better graphics that might push your PC a bit. I can't wait! :D:D

Cool interview, thanks for posting that. Though from videos so far I don't really see the "vast graphical improvement over the original" that they mention. But hopefully it will be noticeable actually playing the game.

Also, from the article, they talk about how "slag" coats the players/enemies...I wonder if this will be visually represented by fluid dynamics or particles with PhysX? Kind of exciting to think about.

Yes. There are games where PhysX can add to the atmosphere and visual experience.

Borderlands 2 is NOT one of them.

I don't really see how someone could watch the BL2 PhysX video and say it doesn't add to the "visual experience".

Plus, no one has really played BL2, soooo.... :confused:

They aren't going to butcher the game for the consoles just to have nice effects for half of their pc market. I doubt that its that big of a deal. You won't know what you are missing anyways.

What worries me more is TXAA. With the secret world that seems to come at the expense of MSAA sort of reminds me of what they did with Batman.

It definitely looks better with Physx, I just don't care enough about green v red pissing matches to drop $400 on a new gpu. Mine performs as well as I need it to right now.

Is TXAA going into BL2? I didn't see anything saying that was the case.

Is TXAA going into BL2? I didn't see anything saying that was the case.

Yeah, its actually one of the first games that they used to advertise the feature. Google will come up with plenty of articles if you don't believe me.

Meh. By the time I buy the game and get around to playing it, I'll might have a green card again. If I don't, so be it.

Guess the 360 version is also going to be crippled then and the Ps3 version won't; you know, since the 360 has an ATI gpu and the Ps3 has an NVIDIA one. ;)

Yeah, its actually one of the first games that they used to advertise the feature. Google will come up with plenty of articles if you don't believe me.

Actually, it's kind of ambiguous. If you read older articles, there is mention of it. But if you read the newer articles regarding PhysX, it says that neither Gearbox nor nVidia have confirmed TXAA in BL2.

it can but its nerfed to hell and nvidia forces game developers only to support gpu accelerated physX so the cpu support is useless which is why cpu physX still only supports 1 core. nvidia removed multi core support in physX when they bought it.

1. So NVIDIA forces devs to only support GPU PhysX? I assume that's why 95% of PhysX games just use the CPU path of PhysX? Nvidia can't force developers to do anything.

2. No CPU support was ever removed when NVIDIA bought it. PhysX used x87 and has *always* required the developer to group PhysX interactions into scenes manually in order to scale across multiple cores (this was in place before NVIDIA even bought them). There was no automatic mode of doing this, but it was absolutely able to utilize multiple cores with PhysX, and always has been... it just required some work on the developers part, if they cared enough to do it.

3. PhysX 3.0 is out and has now supported x86 instructions and some level of automatic multi-threading on the CPU-side for a over 2 years now. They also now support SSE on the CPU side:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21088

But don't let preconceived notions, tired narratives, or even reality get in the way of your version of the truth. Keep rockin bro!

Do we know if we will have to bind FOV change to a key this time around?

It was very annoying in Borderlands 1.

Thanks for that link.

I'll buy it when it comes out to support them. (hopefully the slider is from 55-90 and not 55-65 :D)

I didn't play the first one, but I have to admit that I enjoyed what I saw in the video and that link tells me all I need to know about the game. I may end up giving this one a shot.

I plan on finishing the first one before I get #2. Hopefully there will be a GOTY version out by then as well. I'm trying to beat the original on Co-Op, but my Co-Op partners schedules rarely meet up with mine, so it's been a really slow process (also exacerbated by class changes...)

I'm quite excited for #2. The letter definitely helps with that, though I wonder why they make it sound so special that they are including that stuff. It should be default for all PC games...

There was a huuuuge thread about that letter back when it came out. I don't want to dig it up but basically a lot of the people said the same thing about "should have been there in the first place" and then went on to devolve into whining like entitled brats.

But this... seems like real physx support. Anyone else feel like it's worth jumping jumping out of the AMD boat and swimming for the Nvidia yacht?

how is this 'real' PhysX support as opposed to Arkham City etc?...Arkham City had some nice PhysX effects but nothing I would deem as critical to gameplay or overall enjoyment of the game...Borderlands 2 will probably be the same...more cloth moving around, papers flying, debris fields etc

demo videos always exaggerate the effect...unless you stop and slo-mo everything the differences during fast motion gameplay are negligible

how is this 'real' PhysX support as opposed to Arkham City etc?...Arkham City had some nice PhysX effects but nothing I would deem as critical to gameplay or overall enjoyment of the game...Borderlands 2 will probably be the same...more cloth moving around, papers flying, debris fields etc

demo videos always exaggerate the effect...unless you stop and slo-mo everything the differences during fast motion gameplay are negligible

Then again it could be like Alice where now I couldn't imagine playing it without Physx and 3d vision. Either way I won't know what I'm missing.

I haven't seen the effects for myself in Arkham City, but in Arkham Asylum the effects were nice, but ultimately not a big deal until you got to the Scarecrow dream sequences. The visuals are amazing and I can't stand it without PhysX support.

AMD fanbois pouring on the hate on Nvidia's slowly growing PhysX support. I would rather be mad at AMD for not adding their own GPU Physics support instead ? The fight between CPU or GPU Physics support and if we need it or not gets tiring. I mean if a GPU company ponies up support and $$$ to use their GPU PhysX rather than Dev Company building their own from scratch... which would you chose?

^ another nvidia fanboy i see.....

I would prefer that they stick to the DX spec.

That loveletter thing was stupid as fuck and just listed off things that used to always come on PC games and were pretty much expected. Now they're being treated like it's some kinda special treatment to the PC gamers to win us over or something. Have zero interest in the game anyways

That loveletter thing was stupid as fuck and just listed off things that used to always come on PC games and were pretty much expected. Now they're being treated like it's some kinda special treatment to the PC gamers to win us over or something.

It's good marketing and PR. Unlike any number of other crews I could name, at least they acknowledged that they screwed the pooch on 1 and are at least trying here. I'll give 'em that.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

This went a long ways fast on part 1.

Have zero interest in the game anyways

Then why bother to post?

AMD fanbois pouring on the hate on Nvidia's slowly growing PhysX support. I would rather be mad at AMD for not adding their own GPU Physics support instead ? The fight between CPU or GPU Physics support and if we need it or not gets tiring. I mean if a GPU company ponies up support and $$$ to use their GPU PhysX rather than Dev Company building their own from scratch... which would you chose?

They have to develop it from scratch regardless if its cpu or gpu, its also development time that gets factored into this.

Fact of the matter is nvidia spends more for their physX support then amd does, works closer with the developer to get good implementation and ultimately wins out. AMDs developer relationship sucks big time which is why you see buggy game drivers, lack of havock support and slow openCL adoption.

That loveletter thing was stupid as fuck and just listed off things that used to always come on PC games and were pretty much expected. Now they're being treated like it's some kinda special treatment to the PC gamers to win us over or something. Have zero interest in the game anyways

I read it more as them acknowledging they let PC gamers down a bit last time and so they went out of their way to make sure we knew they listened and fixed some of our issues. I enjoyed the humor they put into it as well.

Loved the first one, looking forward to getting my hands on this soon.

Physx doesn't add anything to overall gameplay in any game. As for enjoyment, that's in the eye of the user. For arkham city, go check out the smelting plant where joker hangs out for physx enhancements - added an impressive amount to the overall atmosphere and enjoyment for me.

LOL @ all the hate for Physx from AMD owners while deep down they wish they could go into the video options and enable those yummy particle effects. :)

This, basically, they want to justify their purchase to themselves as to why they don't need a missing feature on their AMD cards, one amongst many "major" ones such as lower tesselation performance, poorer drivers, etc. and bad multi-card support.

But hey, who cares about GRAPHICS in a videogame, right? Why aren't these people just playing an NES if they really don't care, so vehemently as they claim?

Back