Booting from USB to install Server 2008 on an old Supermicro Server.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cide_, Feb 23, 2010.

1. cide_

cide_ Limp Gawd

Hey guys,

I'm trying to boot from a USB Memory Stick to install 2008 SP2 (Non-R2) on a Quad-Xeon ECC-Ram Supermicro Server from around 2002 that has with it only a CD-ROM Drive.

Fortunately,
    The USB Memory Stick shows up as a Hard Drive boot device in the CMOS, but after following some instructions to format thumb drive to fat32, and run the following command: xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ --- The drive will not boot to the installation, it simply boots to a black screen which says "Operating System Not Found"

The thread I originally came across that discussed how to do this (through diskpart)
    But, diskpart doesn't list the USB Removable Memory Stick as a Device, so I can't follow the instructions which were:

1) diskpart
    2) list disk
    3) select disk 1
    4) clean
    5) create partition primary
    6) select partition 1
    7) active
    8) format fs=fat32
    9) assign
    10) exit

Anyway,
    I think I'm missing a step.
    I'm also sure theres a utility out there that would handle this,
    Can someone point me in the right direction? :)

2. Deads0uls

Deads0uls Limp Gawd

The diskpart instructions can be completed through Explorer. Right click the drive and select format.

Next, you are missing to the bootsect.exe step. On the original Server 2008 installation media there should be a folder named boot. Inside you will find bootsect.exe.

You will need to run the following command against the USB drive and make sure you are running the command prompt in elevated mode(admin rights).

As an example, if your USB drive is E: then type:

Code:
    bootsect.exe /nt60 e: