Bootcamp: Windows XP upgrade

nyczxplizit

Limp Gawd
I just recently decided to try out bootcamp. However, I read the instructions and it told me not to install xp pro and THEN upgrade to sp2. rather, have a full install of xp pro sp2. Has anybody tried installing xp pro on bootcamp first and then upgrading to sp2? please let me know. thanks

I just recently decided to try out bootcamp. However, I read the instructions and it told me not to install xp pro and THEN upgrade to sp2. rather, have a full install of xp pro sp2. Has anybody tried installing xp pro on bootcamp first and then upgrading to sp2? please let me know. thanks

You can't install anything less than SP2 due to a lack of hardware support. If you have an XP Pro (Pre-SP2) CD, you can slipstream the service pack into it, which should work fine.

You can't install anything less than SP2 due to a lack of hardware support. If you have an XP Pro (Pre-SP2) CD, you can slipstream the service pack into it, which should work fine.

how do i slipstream it in?

If I no longer want to run Windows on my mac, how do I uninstall/delete it? and go back to my original mac os x?

If I no longer want to run Windows on my mac, how do I uninstall/delete it? and go back to my original mac os x?

BootCamp has an option to restore your partition back to it's original size; thus deleting the windows install.

Hopefully not hijacking this thread, but it seems like the OP got his answer.

I have two questions regarding installation onto a Macbook:

1) Can I install XP MCE 2005 SP2 on my bootcamp partition, then upgrade to my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium?

2) Can you run Vista Aero features using the Intel 950 GMA video chip? I don't want to bother installing Vista if the eye candy won't work.

1) IDK but should be able
2) Gma950 was built from the ground up for Aero so it will work just fine..

Hopefully not hijacking this thread, but it seems like the OP got his answer.

I have two questions regarding installation onto a Macbook:

1) Can I install XP MCE 2005 SP2 on my bootcamp partition, then upgrade to my copy of Windows Vista Home Premium?

2) Can you run Vista Aero features using the Intel 950 GMA video chip? I don't want to bother installing Vista if the eye candy won't work.

1) Should work Fine, MCE is just XP Pro SP2 with some added apps / services.

2) as stated, the GMA950 was designed with Aero in mind soyou should be ready to roll.

Yes, as long as you combine both CDs into one slipstreamed DVD. The eject button doesn't function during the installer, so there's no way to eject the first disc and put in the second one when the installer prompts for it.

cant you just do a new install directly from an upgrade copy? or does that not work on bootcamp?

Yes, as long as you combine both CDs into one slipstreamed DVD. The eject button doesn't function during the installer, so there's no way to eject the first disc and put in the second one when the installer prompts for it.

You can use an external CD drive for the install I think and then you can eject with the button on the drive.

You can use an external CD drive for the install I think and then you can eject with the button on the drive.

Yeah, that would probably work, I guess. Making the MCE DVD is easy though, there's a few tutorials that show how to do it. It's pretty much just a matter of copying all the files from both CDs into a folder and then burning it to a DVD.

Back