Bootable Disk Management software

htpc_user

[H]ard|Gawd
It used to be that hard drives would come with CDs that would clone your hard drive and since I had one from WD, Seagate, and Maxtor I was pretty well covered. Now I don't know what to use to get it accomplished. None of those discs work any more. I bought a PNY SSD today and it came with Acronis but it was an install, not a bootable CD. I always did the cloning on start up before, not inside Windows. Does anything like that exist now?

It used to be that hard drives would come with CDs that would clone your hard drive and since I had one from WD, Seagate, and Maxtor I was pretty well covered. Now I don't know what to use to get it accomplished. None of those discs work any more. I bought a PNY SSD today and it came with Acronis but it was an install, not a bootable CD. I always did the cloning on start up before, not inside Windows. Does anything like that exist now?
If you have a Western Digital drive you can download Acronis from them for free. It is a personal edition but it gets the job done if you know what you are doing and/or can read the free manual :)

Best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/vista - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

This has worked well for me.

I don't use a CD. I use the bootable USB.

What does it mean when it says for the free version,
  • Manage disk partitions

Resize/move/copy/merge/create/delete/wipe/check/hide/explore partitions
but under "Migrate OS to SSD/HDD" it's not supported until you go to the "Pro" version?

I want to be able to boot to the software, tell it to copy from the old hard drive to the new one, and then be able to remove the old hard drive from the system. How is migrating the OS different than copying the partition?

Ohhhh, I see. The "Migrate OS" option gives you the ability to copy just the OS to a new hard drive rather than the entire contents. I can see where that would be useful but I wouldn't pay for that.

Back